Words — 532 found
1. river; streamOnly applies to かわ
- なが 。
- This river is three times longer than that one.
2. River; the ... riversuffix used with the names of rivers
- Which is longer, the Shinano River or the Agano River?
4. RiverA river is a natural watercourse, usually freshwater, flo... Read more
川 【がわ】、河 【かわ】、河 【がわ】
1. teacher; instructor; master
- Our teacher is a gentleman in the true sense of the word.
2. Sensei; title or form of address for a teacher, master, doctor, lawyer, etc.Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- I had my composition corrected by Mr Jones.
3. intimate or teasing form of addressFamiliar language, Jocular, humorous term
4. one's elderArchaism, orig. meaning
5. SenseiSensei is a Japanese word that is literally translated as... Read more
- January is the first month of the year.
2. age; years
- Might I ask your age?
3. past one's prime; old age
4. YearA year is the orbital period of the Earth moving around t... Read more
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. eye; eyeball
- い 。
- Right, I said, shivering at this recital as a man would who gets hysterical while taking a shower if a bit of soap stings his eye.
2. eyesight; sight; visionSee also 目が見える
- Helen Keller was blind, deaf and dumb.
3. look; stare; gaze; glance
- なが 。
- He regarded her with worship in his eyes.
4. notice; attention; observation; eyes (of the world, public, etc.)
5. an experience
7. discrimination; discernment; judgement; eye (e.g. for quality)
9. spacing (between crossed strands of a net, mesh, etc.); opening; stitch; texture; weaveSee also 編み目
10. grain (of wood)
11. eye (of a storm, needle, etc.)
12. intersection (on a go board); square (on a chess board)
13. dot (on a dice); pip; rolled number
14. graduation; division (of a scale)
15. tooth (of a saw, comb, etc.)
16. ordinal number suffix
- Turn right at the second corner.
17. somewhat; -ishUsually written using kana alone, See also 大きめ
18. point (e.g. of change)See also 変わり目, following -masu stem
19. EyeEyes are organs that detect light and convert it into ele... Read more
1. box; case; chest; package; pack; crate
- あ 。
- Twist that knob to the right and the box will open.
2. car (of a train, etc.)
3. shamisen case; shamisen
4. public building; community buildingColloquialism, See also 箱物, often written as ハコ
5. man who carries a geisha's shamisenArchaism, See also 箱屋
6. receptacle for human waste; feces (faeces)Archaism
7. counter for boxes (or boxed objects)
8. BoxBox describes a variety of containers and receptacles for... Read more
函 【はこ】、匣 【はこ】、筥 【はこ】、筐 【はこ】、凾 【はこ】、ハコ
- The woman dental hygienist said to me, lying down in the chair, "Right, please open your mouth."
2. opening; hole; gap; orifice
- い 。
- We plunged into the cave opening on our boat and continued on.
3. mouth (of a bottle); spout; nozzle; mouthpiece
- Fill the bottle to the top so as to exclude all air.
4. gate; door; entrance; exit
5. speaking; speech; talk (i.e. gossip)See also 口を利く
- He says one thing and means another.
6. taste; palateSee also 口に合う
7. mouth (to feed)
- あ 。
- Foreign rice is hard and tasteless, and doesn't appeal to the Japanese palate.
8. opening (i.e. vacancy); available positionSee also 働き口
9. invitation; summonsSee also 口がかかる
- The job offer still stands.
10. kind; sort; type
11. opening (i.e. beginning)
12. counter for mouthfuls, shares (of money), and swords
13. MouthThe mouth is the first portion of the alimentary canal th... Read more
1. state (US, Australia, India, Germany, etc.); province (e.g. Canada); canton (e.g. Switzerland); oblast (e.g. Russia); department (e.g. ancient China)See also 県 けん
- Traveling to the southern states during the winter will be costlier than it is now.
3. dearArchaism, after someone's name
4. Zhou (country subdivision)Zhou were historical political divisions of China. Formal... Read more
1. field (for fruits, vegetables, etc.); cultivated land; vegetable plot; kitchen garden; plantation
- When spring comes, they dig up the fields and plant seeds.
2. field (of specialization); sphere; areaOnly applies to はたけ, ばたけ when suf
- そだ 。
- He has had a long teaching career.
3. womb; birth; birthplaceColloquialism, Only applies to はたけ
4. Field (agriculture)In agriculture, the word field refers generally to an are... Read more
畑 【はた】、畠 【はたけ】、畠 【はた】
1. center; centre; middle; heart; core; focus; pivot; emphasis; balance
2. -centered; -centred; -focused; -oriented; centered on; focused on
3. Centre (geometry)In geometry, the centre (or center) of an object is a poi... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. unit; denomination
- う 。
- Fish is sold by the pound here.
2. credit (in school)
- How many credits is this course?
3. in units of (e.g. "in thousands"); in amounts of
- やく ４
- It has a wingspan of about four inches.
3. counter for birds or bird wingsArchaism, Only applies to よく
4. WingA wing is an appendage with a surface that produces lift ... Read more
1. abdomen; belly; stomach
- うご 。
- A female kangaroo carries its young in the pouch.
2. wombSee also 胎 はら
3. one's mind; one's real intentions; one's true motive
- He says one thing and means another.
4. courage; nerve; willpower
5. generosity; magnanimity
6. feelings; emotions
7. wide middle part; bulging part
8. inside; interior; inner part
9. anti-nodePhysics terminology
10. counter for hard roe
11. counter for containers with bulging middles (pots, vases, etc.)
12. AbdomenThe abdomen (also called the belly), in vertebrates such ... Read more
1. muscle; tendon; sinew
2. vein; artery
3. fiber; fibre; string
4. line; stripe; streak
5. reason; logicSee also 筋が通る
- とお 。
- There isn't much logic in what you're saying.
6. plot; storyline
- I don't understand this novel's plot.
7. lineage; descent
8. school (e.g. of scholarship or arts)
9. aptitude; talent
10. source (of information, etc.); circle; channel
- きょねん 、
- き 。
- I heard about it from another source last year.
11. well-informed person (in a transaction)
12. logical move (in go, shogi, etc.)
13. ninth vertical lineShogi term
14. seam on a helmet
15. gristly fish paste (made of muscle, tendons, skin, etc.)Abbreviation, See also 筋蒲鉾
16. social position; statusArchaism
17. on (a river, road, etc.); along
18. counter for long thin things; counter for roads or blocks when giving directions
19. (Edo period) counter for hundreds of mon (obsolete unit of currency)Archaism
20. SujiSuji may refer to: Suji, Kilimanjaro, a small village in ... Read more
1. to take out; to get out
- You can withdraw some money out of the bank, if you need any.
2. to put out; to reveal; to show
- I want to remain anonymous in this.
3. to submit (e.g. thesis); to turn in
- Read over your paper before you hand it in.
4. to publish; to make publicSee also あぶり出す あぶりだす
- ひ （
- げつようび ）
- くだ 。
- We'll release the final agenda on the morning of Monday, January 20, so please reply quickly.
5. to send (e.g. letter)See also 手紙を出す
- Sending manuscript after manuscript paid off. A magazine finally published my work.
6. to produce (a sound); to start (fire)See also 声を出す
- だ 。
- The government issued the following statement.
7. to serve (food)
- だ 。
- They serve excellent food here.
8. ... out (e.g. to jump out, to carry out)See also 飛び出す とびだす, after the -masu stem of a verb
- How long have you had this pain?
9. to begin ...; to start to ...; to burst into ...See also 歌いだす うたいだす, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, an alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, a song, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (somebody inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
1. clothes (esp. Western clothes)
- He dried his wet clothes by the fire.
2. counter for doses of medicine, gulps of tea, drags of a cigarette, etc.See also 一服
1. end; finish; stop
- His curiosity knew no bounds.
- I'll help you to the best of my ability.
3. delivery date (of a futures contract)esp. 限り,限
- Akira will stay in New York while his money lasts.
4. finale (of a noh song); end of an act (in jōruri or kabuki); final performance of the day (in vaudeville)
- かぎ 、
- You may take this book as long as you keep it clean.
5. counter for slices (esp. thick slices); counter for cuts (e.g. fish, meat)
- You will fail unless you work harder.
6. only; justUsually written using kana alone, See also っ切り っきり, senses 6-8 are sometimes pronounced ぎり, esp. in old-fashioned speech
7. since; afterUsually written using kana alone, usu. in a negative sentence
8. remaining (in a particular state)Usually written using kana alone
限り 【きり】、切 【きり】、限 【きり】
切: Irregular okurigana usage. 限: Irregular okurigana usage.