Words — 3755 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language, after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo) language, See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to live; to exist
2. to make a living; to subsist
3. to be in effect; to be in use; to function
4. to come to life; to be enlivened
5. to be safe (in baseball, go, etc.)
6. To Live (film)To Live is a Chinese film directed by Zhang Yimou in 1994... Read more
活きる: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to stream; to flow (liquid, time, etc.); to run (ink)
- ながれ 。
- The Seine flows through Paris.
2. to be washed away; to be carried
- なが 。
- Pure water was washed away to this river as well at that time.
3. to drift; to float (e.g. clouds); to wander; to stray
4. to sweep (e.g. rumour, fire); to spread; to circulate
- なが 。
- Word got around that Jeanette and Dave were having an affair.
5. to be heard (e.g. music); to be played
- The news has just come on the radio.
6. to lapse (e.g. into indolence, despair)
7. to pass; to elapse; to be transmitted
8. to be called off; to be forfeited
9. to disappear; to be removed
10. NagareruNagareru is a 1956 Japanese film directed by Mikio Naruse... Read more
1. to be able (in a position) to do; to be up to the taskUsually written using kana alone
- I'm sorry, I can't stay long.
2. to be ready; to be completedUsually written using kana alone
- お 」
- "Is the essay ready?" "No, I'm sorry. I haven't finished writing it yet."
3. to be made; to be builtUsually written using kana alone
- That football is made of genuine leather.
4. to be good at; to be permitted (to do)Usually written using kana alone
- May I use your toilet?
5. to become intimate; to take up (with someone)Usually written using kana alone
- They seem to be in love with each other.
6. to grow; to be raisedUsually written using kana alone
- でき 。
- Oranges grow in warm countries.
7. to become pregnantUsually written using kana alone
出きる 【できる】、出來る 【できる】
出來る: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. to see; to look; to watch; to view; to observe
- Let's begin with the fifth line on page 10.
2. to examine; to look over; to assess; to check; to judge
- My head is swimming, so I'll try writing any-old stuff without any deep thought.
3. to look after; to attend to; to take care of; to keep an eye onSee also 看る
- I can't look after my parents and such either.
4. to experience; to meet with (misfortune, success, etc.)
- い ？
- Would you like to take in a movie?
5. to try ...; to have a go at ...; to give ... a tryUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- We should try to understand one another.
6. to see (that) ...; to find (that) ...Usually written using kana alone, as 〜てみると, 〜てみたら, 〜てみれば, etc.
観る 【みる】、視る 【みる】
1. to leave; to exit; to go out; to come out; to get outAntonym: 入る はいる
- It's true that a ghost appeared at my house.
2. to leave (on a journey); to depart; to start out; to set out
- おお 。
- Many American students work their way through the university.
3. to move forward
- He didn't answer the phone, so I left him an email.
4. to come to; to get to; to lead to; to reach
5. to appear; to come out; to emerge; to surface; to come forth; to turn up; to be found; to be detected; to be discovered; to be exposed; to show; to be exhibited; to be on display
6. to appear (in print); to be published; to be announced; to be issued; to be listed; to come out
7. to attend; to participate; to take part; to enter (an event); to play in; to perform
8. to be stated; to be expressed; to come up; to be brought up; to be raised
9. to sell
10. to exceed; to go over
11. to stick out; to protrude
12. to break out; to occur; to start; to originate
13. to be produced
14. to come from; to be derived from
15. to be given; to get; to receive; to be offered; to be provided; to be presented; to be submitted; to be handed in; to be turned in; to be paid
16. to answer (phone, door, etc.); to get
17. to assume (an attitude); to act; to behave
18. to pick up (speed, etc.); to gain
19. to flow (e.g. tears); to run; to bleed
20. to graduate
21. to ejaculate; to cumVulgar expression or word
1. to sleep (lying down)See also 眠る
- ね 。
- The baby was sleeping all day long.
2. to go to bed; to lie in bed
- Brush your teeth before going to bed.
3. to lie down
- ね 。
- The boy lay on his back, basking in the spring sunshine.
4. to sleep (with someone, i.e. have intercourse)
5. to lie flat (e.g. of hair)
6. to lie idle (of funds, stock, etc.)
7. to ferment (of soy sauce, miso, etc.)
寐る: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. to wear (from the shoulders down); to put on
- "You had better not wear the red dress." "Why not?"
2. to take (the blame, responsibility); to bearas 罪を〜
- The man was branded as a traitor.
著る: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, song, etc.); to use (a device, implement, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (someone inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
懸ける: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to borrow; to have a loan
- May I borrow this book?
2. to rent; to hire
- I want to rent an apartment with two rooms.
1. to descend (e.g. a mountain); to go down; to come downesp. 下りる
- The professional skier liked to "hot-dog" down the mountain.
2. to alight (e.g. from bus); to get off; to disembark; to dismountesp. 降りる
- Let's get off here.
3. to step down; to retire; to give up; to quit; to fold
4. to be granted; to be issued; to be givenesp. 下りる
5. to form (of frost, dew, mist, etc.)esp. 降りる
- お 。
- The dew fell this morning.
6. to be passed (from the body; e.g. of a roundworm)See also 下り物, esp. 下りる
1. to work (for); to be employed (at); to serve (in)usu. 勤める
- つとめ 。
- My father serves in the Foreign Ministry.
2. to serve (as); to act (as); to fill (the position of); to play the role (of)usu. 務める
- She was a bridesmaid at the wedding.
3. to conduct a religious serviceusu. 勤める
1. to dash over oneself (e.g. water); to take (e.g. shower); to bask in (e.g. the sun); to bathe in; to be flooded with (e.g. light); to be covered in
2. to suffer (e.g. an attack); to draw (e.g. criticism, attention, praise); to have heaped upon; to be showered with
1. to tie; to fasten; to tightenAntonym: 緩める
- You must fasten your seat belts during take-off.
2. to wear (necktie, belt); to put on
3. to total; to sumSee also 〆る しめる
4. to be strict withSee also 緊める しめる
5. to economize; to economise; to cut down on
6. to salt; to marinate; to pickle; to make sushi adding a mixture of vinegar and salt
7. to kill (fish, poultry, etc.)
1. to be (of animate objects); to existUsually written using kana alone, See also 在る
- Some have lost faith in democracy.
2. to stayUsually written using kana alone
- Which would you rather do, go to the cinema or stay at home?
3. to be ...-ing; to have been ...-ingUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb; indicates continuing action or state
- I haven't quite finished eating.
1. to eat
- You should eat more fruit.
2. to live on (e.g. a salary); to live off; to subsist on
- I am determined to make a living as a playwright.
喰べる: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to teach; to instruct
- Mr Jones teaches us English conversation.
2. to tell; to inform; to show
- Could you tell me how to get to the subway station?
3. to preach
1. to forget; to leave carelessly; to be forgetful of; to forget about; to forget (an article)
1. to go out (e.g. on an excursion or outing); to leave; to depart; to start; to set out
2. to be about to leave; to be just going out
1. to get up; to rise; to blaze up (fire)
- お 。
- I got up at about six.
2. to wake up; to be awake; to stay awake
- Is the kid still up?
3. to occur (usu. of unfavourable incidents); to happen; to take place
- お 、
- い 。
- "If there is an accident," he says, "they will know right away."