Words — 3608 found
1. to put in; to let in; to take in; to bring in; to insert; to install (e.g. software); to set (a jewel, etc.); to ink in (e.g. tattoo)
- I put it in the drawer.
2. to admit; to accept; to employ; to hire
- Can foreign students be in the club?
3. to accept; to comply; to grant; to adopt (a policy, etc.); to take (advice, etc.); to listen to; to pay attention toesp. 容れる
4. to include
5. to pay (one's rent, etc.)
6. to cast (a vote)
7. to make (tea, coffee, etc.)See also 淹れる
- Do you want me to make coffee?
8. to turn on (a switch, etc.)
- It's very warm. Shall I turn on the air conditioner?
9. to send (a fax); to call
容れる 【いれる】、函れる 【いれる】
1. to get tired; to tire
- あそ 。
- Then they played "ring-a-ring-a-rosy" until they were tired and thirsty.
2. to be worn out (e.g. of well used objects)
3. to starveArchaism
1. to open (a door, etc.); to unwrap (e.g. parcel, package); to unlockOnly applies to 開ける
- あ 。
- The three boys opened the doors of the building.
2. to open (for business, etc.)Only applies to 開ける
- I'm sorry I opened your mail by mistake.
3. to empty; to remove; to make space; to make roomesp. 空ける
- Empty the purse into this bag.
4. to move out; to clear outesp. 空ける
5. to be away from (e.g. one's house); to leave (temporarily)esp. 空ける
6. to dawn; to grow lightesp. 明ける
7. to end (of a period, season)esp. 明ける
8. to begin (of the New Year)esp. 明ける
9. to leave (one's schedule) open; to make time (for)esp. 明ける
10. to make (a hole); to open up (a hole)
空ける 【あける】、明ける 【あける】
1. to show; to display
1. to attach; to join; to add; to append; to affix; to stick; to glue; to fasten; to sew on; to apply (ointment)
- Put your coat on my account.
2. to furnish (a house with)
- つ 。
- When my home had an extension built I only had this room fitted with soundproofing and an internal lock.
3. to wear; to put on
- He who wears armor falls with a big crash!
4. to keep a diary; to make an entry
5. to appraise; to set (a price)
- They mark down goods at that shop.
6. to allot; to budget; to assign
7. to bring alongside
8. to place (under guard or doctor)
- The policeman followed him.
9. to follow; to shadowSee also 跡をつける
10. to load; to give (courage to)
11. to keep (an eye on)
12. to establish (relations or understanding)
- No sooner had Tom turned on the TV than the fuse blew.
13. to turn on (light)See also 点ける
14. to produce flowers; to produce fruitof a plant
着ける 【つける】、附ける 【つける】
1. to memorize; to memorise; to commit to memory; to learn by heart; to bear in mind; to remember
- You must remember to tell him all that you know.
2. to learn; to pick up; to acquireOnly applies to 覚える
3. to feelOnly applies to 覚える
- That music really gets me.
4. to think; to regardOnly applies to 覚える
1. to be born
産まれる 【うまれる】、生れる 【うまれる】、産れる 【うまれる】
1. to close; to shut
1. to clear up; to clear away; to be sunny; to stop raining
- It will be fine tomorrow.
2. to refresh (e.g. spirits)
- は 。
- His depression came to an end when she kissed him.
3. to be cleared (e.g. of a suspicion)See also 疑いが晴れる
- は 。
- Tom's acknowledgement that he stole the ring cleared the maid of suspicion.
4. to be dispelled; to be banished
1. to go out; to vanish; to disappear
1. to line up; to set up; to arrange in a line
- なら 。
- The maid arranged the knives and forks on the table.
2. to enumerate; to itemize
- なら 、
- All you do is string together a bunch of farfetched ideas. I can't understand a word of it.
3. to be equal (to); to compare well (with); to be as good (as)
1. to answer; to reply
1. to be seen; to be in sight
- くだ 、
- The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.
2. to look; to seem; to appear
- み 。
- The map on page 11 looks very strange. Turn it upside down. Then it becomes a familiar map to you.
3. to comeHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- A gentleman called in your absence, sir.
1. to think (about, of); to think over; to ponder; to contemplate; to reflect (on); to meditate (on)
- You must think of your family.
2. to consider; to bear in mind; to allow for; to take into consideration
- It is worthwhile considering what it is that makes people happy.
3. to think (that); to believe; to hold (a view); to judge; to conclude; to suspect
- Although we may intend to judge a person on the basis of his or her personal qualities, they are not visible at first sight.
4. to intend (to do); to think of (doing); to plan
- It is difficult planning meals for so many people.
5. to predict; to anticipate; to expect; to imagine
6. to come up with; to think up; to contrive; to devise
7. to consider (as); to regard (as); to look on (as); to take; to view
勘える 【かんがえる】、稽える 【かんがえる】
1. to start; to begin; to commence; to initiate; to originateOnly applies to 始める
- When did you begin playing golf?
2. to start up (a business, society, etc.); to open (e.g. a store); to establish
- はじ 。
- We three sisters opened a coffee shop.
3. to start ...; to begin to ...Only applies to 始める, after the -masu stem of a verb
- はじ 。
- The room started to spin after I drank too much.
1. to receive; to get
- うけ 。
- People of 65 and above get a pension from the government.
2. to catch (e.g. a ball)
3. to be struck by (wind, waves, sunlight, etc.)
4. to sustain (damage); to incur (a loss); to suffer (an injury); to feel (influence)
- う 。
- We received an eviction notice.
5. to undergo (e.g. surgery); to take (a test); to accept (a challenge)
- We gladly accept your offer.
6. to be given (e.g. life, talent)esp. 受ける, 享ける
7. to find funny; to find humorous; to be amused (by)Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる
8. to follow; to succeed; to be descended fromesp. 受ける, 享ける
9. to face (south, etc.)
10. to be modified bylinguistics terminology, esp. 受ける, 承ける
11. to obtain (a pawned item, etc.) by paying a feeSee also 請け出す, esp. 請ける, now primarily used in compound words
12. to be well-received; to become popular; to go down wellUsually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる, うける
- My joke went over very well.
請ける 【うける】、承ける 【うける】、享ける 【うける】、ウケる
1. to decide; to choose; to determine; to make up one's mind; to resolve; to set one's heart on; to settle; to arrange; to set; to appoint; to fix
- きわ 。
- Most athletes are at their best during their early manhood.
2. to clinch (a victory); to decide (the outcome of a match)
3. to persist in doing; to go through with
4. to always do; to have made a habit ofas 決めている
5. to take for granted; to assume
6. to dress up; to dress to kill; to dress to the nines
7. to carry out successfully (a move in sports, a pose in dance, etc.); to succeed in doing
8. to immobilize with a double-arm lock (in sumo, judo, etc.)Martial arts term, Sumo term
9. to eat or drink something; to take illegal drugs
1. to fall down; to drop; to fall (e.g. rain); to sink (e.g. sun or moon); to fall onto (e.g. light or one's gaze); to be used in a certain place (e.g. money)
- Grandpa fell down the stairs and got a serious injury.
2. to be omitted; to be missing
- お 。
- As many as ten students failed the exam.
3. to decrease; to sink
- お 。
- The scandal hurt the company's reputation.
4. to fail (e.g. exam or class); to lose (contest, election, etc.)
- お 。
- This ink stain will not wash out.
5. to crash; to degenerate; to degrade; to fall behind
6. to become indecent (of a conversation)
7. to be ruined; to go under
8. to fade; to come out (e.g. a stain); to come off (e.g. makeup); to be removed (e.g. illness, possessing spirit, name on a list)See also 狐が落ちる きつねがおちる
9. to fall (into someone's hands); to become someone's possession
10. to fall (into a trap); to fall (for a trick)
11. to give in; to give up; to confess; to flee
12. to fall; to be defeated; to surrender
13. to come to (in the end); to end in
15. to swoon (judo)
16. to consent; to understandSee also 腑に落ちない ふにおちない
17. to go down (of a website, server, etc.); to crashComputer terminology
18. to log out (of an online game, chat room, etc.); to drop out; to leave; to go offlineSlang
19. to dieof animals
20. to move to the depthsof fish when it gets cold
21. to go down (of a website, server, etc.)Computer terminology
堕ちる 【おちる】、墜ちる 【おちる】、落る 【おちる】
落る: Irregular okurigana usage.