Words — 140 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language, after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo) language, See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to become; to get; to grow; to turn; to reach; to attainUsually written using kana alone
- When you go, I'll miss you very much.
2. to result in; to turn out; to end up; to prove (to be)Usually written using kana alone
- The news turned out true in a week.
3. to consist of; to be composed of; to be made up ofUsually written using kana alone, as ...からなる or ...よりなる
- な 。
- Nine players make up a team.
4. to be completed; to be realized; to succeed; to be attained; to be accomplishedUsually written using kana alone
5. to change (into); to turn (into); to transformUsually written using kana alone
6. to come (to do); to begin (to do); to grow (to do)Usually written using kana alone
7. to come to; to amount to; to add up to; to makeUsually written using kana alone
8. to play (the part of); to act asUsually written using kana alone
9. to be used for; to be useful for; to serve asUsually written using kana alone
10. to be promotedShogi
11. to do ...Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, as お + masu stem + になる, or ご + noun + になる
1. to see; to look; to watch; to view; to observe
- Let's begin with the fifth line on page 10.
2. to examine; to look over; to assess; to check; to judge
- My head is swimming, so I'll try writing any-old stuff without any deep thought.
3. to look after; to attend to; to take care of; to keep an eye onSee also 看る
- I can't look after my parents and such either.
4. to experience; to meet with (misfortune, success, etc.)
- い ？
- Would you like to take in a movie?
5. to try ...; to have a go at ...; to give ... a tryUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- We should try to understand one another.
6. to see (that) ...; to find (that) ...Usually written using kana alone, as 〜てみると, 〜てみたら, 〜てみれば, etc.
観る 【みる】、視る 【みる】
1. to go; to move (in a direction or towards a specific location); to head (towards); to be transported (towards); to reachSee also 来る くる
- おかあ 、
- Can I go swimming, Mother?
2. to proceed; to take placeSee also 旨く行く, い sometimes omitted in auxiliary use
- We'll have to try and make the best of it.
3. to pass through; to come and go
- These rules have been and always will be observed.
4. to walk
5. to die; to pass awayOnly applies to 逝く
6. to do (in a specific way)
7. to stream; to flow
8. to continueUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
9. to have an orgasm; to come; to cumUsually written using kana alone
10. to trip; to get high; to have a drug-induced hallucinationUsually written using kana alone, Slang
行く 【ゆく】、逝く 【いく】、逝く 【ゆく】、往く 【いく】、往く 【ゆく】
往く: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage. 往く: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. to end; to come to an end; to close; to finish
終る 【おわる】、了る 【おわる】、卒る 【おわる】、畢る 【おわる】、竟る 【おわる】
了る: Rarely-used kanji form. 卒る: Rarely-used kanji form. 畢る: Rarely-used kanji form. 竟る: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to cut; to cut through; to perform (surgery)
- き 。
- 2. Cut the daikon into long sticks.
2. to sever (connections, ties)See also 縁を切る
3. to turn off (e.g. the light)
- Do you mind if I turn off the AC?
4. to terminate (e.g. a conversation); to hang up (the phone); to disconnectSee also 電話を切る
- "May I speak to Mr Smith?" "Will you hold the line?"
5. to punch (a ticket); to tear off (a stub)
6. to open (something sealed)
- Once you break the seal, you can't return the tape.
7. to start
- しんきいってん 、
- き 。
- I quit my job and moved so I could start off with a clean slate.
8. to set (a limit); to do (something) in less or within a certain time; to issue (cheques, vouchers, etc.)
9. to reduce; to decrease; to discountSee also 値切る
10. to shake off (water, etc.); to let drip-dry; to let drain
11. to cross; to traverse
12. to criticize sharply
13. to act decisively; to do (something noticeable); to go first; to make (certain facial expressions, in kabuki)
14. to turn (vehicle, steering wheel, etc.)
15. to curl (a ball); to bend; to cut
- Please shuffle the cards carefully.
16. to shuffle (cards)
17. to discard a tileMahjong
18. to dismiss; to sack; to let go; to expulse; to excommunicate
- Harry managed to swim across the river.
19. to dig (a groove); to cut (a stencil, on a mimeograph)
20. to trumpSee also 切り札
21. to cut (the connection between two groups) (in go)
22. to start a fire (with wood-wood friction or by striking a metal against stone)also written as 鑽る
23. to draw (a shape) in the air (with a sword, etc.)
24. to finish; to completeSee also 疲れきる, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to return (something); to restore; to put backSee also 帰す かえす, esp. 返す
- I'll give you back the money tomorrow.
2. to turn over; to turn upside down; to overturn
3. to pay back; to retaliate; to reciprocateesp. 返す
- You bit the hand that fed you.
4. to respond (with); to retort; to reply; to say back
5. to do ... back (e.g. speak back, throw back)after the -masu stem of a verb
6. to do again; to do repeatedlyafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to be (of animate objects); to existUsually written using kana alone, See also 在る
- Some have lost faith in democracy.
2. to stayUsually written using kana alone
- Which would you rather do, go to the cinema or stay at home?
3. to be ...-ing; to have been ...-ingUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb; indicates continuing action or state
- I haven't quite finished eating.
1. to put; to place
- Lay it on the table.
2. to leave (behind)
- As it happens, I have left the camera at home.
3. to establish (an organization, a facility, a position, etc.); to set up
4. to appoint (someone to a certain position); to hire; to employ
5. to place (one's trust, one's faith, etc.); to bear (in mind, etc.)
6. to put down a tool (e.g. a pen) hence stopping what one is doing with that tool
7. to take in (boarders, etc.); to provide lodging in one's house
8. to separate spatially or temporally
9. to do something in advanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- She always keeps her room clean.
10. to leave something in a certain state; to keep something in a certain stateUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
掛る 【かかる】、懸かる 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
懸る: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to show; to display
- I will show you some pictures.
2. to make (something or someone) look ...; to present an appearance of ...
3. to make (something) worth watching; to be entertaining
4. to make a show of (doing); to do in a conspicuous manner; to do in view of othersafter the -te form of a verb
5. to resolve to do; to do at any cost; to show others that one will ...after the -te form of a verb
- I will succeed at any cost.
1. to attach; to join; to add; to append; to affix; to stick; to glue; to fasten; to sew on; to apply (ointment)Usually written using kana alone
- Put your coat on my account.
2. to furnish (a house with)Usually written using kana alone
- つ 。
- When my home had an extension built I only had this room fitted with soundproofing and an internal lock.
3. to wear; to put onUsually written using kana alone
- He who wears armor falls with a big crash!
4. to keep a diary; to make an entryUsually written using kana alone
- むかし 、
- She used to keep a diary, but she no longer does.
5. to appraise; to set (a price)Usually written using kana alone
- They mark down goods at that shop.
6. to allot; to budget; to assignUsually written using kana alone
7. to bring alongsideUsually written using kana alone
8. to place (under guard or doctor)Usually written using kana alone
- The policeman followed him.
9. to follow; to shadowUsually written using kana alone, See also 跡をつける
10. to load; to give (courage to)Usually written using kana alone
11. to keep (an eye on)Usually written using kana alone
12. to establish (relations or understanding)Usually written using kana alone
13. to turn on (light)Usually written using kana alone, See also 点ける
- No sooner had Tom turned on the TV than the fuse blew.
14. to produce flowers; to produce fruitUsually written using kana alone, of a plant
- My tree had a few blossoms but no fruit.
15. to do intenselyUsually written using kana alone, See also 怒鳴りつける どなりつける
着ける 【つける】、附ける 【つける】
1. to start; to begin; to commence; to initiate; to originateOnly applies to 始める
- When did you begin playing golf?
2. to start up (a business, society, etc.); to open (e.g. a store); to establish
- はじ 。
- We three sisters opened a coffee shop.
3. to start ...; to begin to ...Only applies to 始める, after the -masu stem of a verb
- はじ 。
- The room started to spin after I drank too much.
創める: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to come together; to merge; to unite; to meet
- あ 。
- This waistcoat won't meet at the front.
2. to fit; to match; to suit; to agree with; to be correct
- This white coat will look very nice on you.
3. to be profitable; to be equitable
4. to do ... to each other; to do ... togetherafter the -masu stem of a verb
- The two ladies smiled at each other.
おう: Irregular kana usage.
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo) language
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to say; to tell; to state; to express; to offer; to extend (greetings, congratulations, etc.)Humble (kenjougo) language
- I can never thank you enough.
2. to doHumble (kenjougo) language
申上げる 【もうしあげる】、申しあげる 【もうしあげる】
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. to give; to let (one) haveUsually written using kana alone, See also あげる, the receiver is the speaker or someone close to the speaker
- たの 。
- A friend of mine asked me to send her a postcard.
2. to giveUsually written using kana alone, See also くれてやる, often as くれてやる; shows mild disdain for the receiver
3. to do for one; to take the trouble to doUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- We have to be there on time, so don't stand me up tomorrow!
4. to do to someone's disadvantageUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
呉れる: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to continue; to keep up; to keep on
1. to get used to; to grow accustomed to; to become familiar withesp. 慣れる
- I was used to studying when I was a student.
2. to become skilled in; to become experienced atesp. 慣れる
- This camel is so tame that anyone can ride it.
3. to become tame; to become domesticatedesp. 馴れる
4. to get used to doingafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to cure; to healusu. 治す
- That doctor may cure him of his cancer.
2. to fix; to correct; to repairusu. 直す
- I will have repaired your watch by tomorrow.
3. to do over againafter -masu base of verb; usu. 直す
- The boy adjusted his cap.
4. to replace; to put back as it wasKansai dialect, Kyoto dialect, usu. 直す
- Put the book back where you found it.
5. to convert (into a different state); to transformusu. 直す
- Put the following sentences into Japanese.