Words — 128 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to see; to look; to watch; to view; to observe
- Let's begin with the fifth line on page 10.
2. to examine; to look over; to assess; to check; to judge
- My head is swimming, so I'll try writing any-old stuff without any deep thought.
3. to look after; to attend to; to take care of; to keep an eye onSee also 看る
- I can't look after my parents and such either.
4. to experience; to meet with (misfortune, success, etc.)
- い ？
- Would you like to take in a movie?
5. to try ...; to have a go at ...; to give ... a tryUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- We should try to understand one another.
6. to see (that) ...; to find (that) ...Usually written using kana alone, as 〜てみると, 〜てみたら, 〜てみれば, etc.
観る 【みる】、視る 【みる】
1. to go; to move (in a direction or towards a specific location); to head (towards); to be transported (towards); to reachSee also 来る くる
- おかあ 、
- Can I go swimming, Mother?
2. to proceed; to take placeSee also 旨く行く, い sometimes omitted in auxiliary use
- We'll have to try and make the best of it.
3. to pass through; to come and go
- These rules have been and always will be observed.
4. to walk
5. to die; to pass awayOnly applies to 逝く
6. to do (in a specific way)
7. to stream; to flow
8. to continue
9. to have an orgasm; to come; to cumUsually written using kana alone
10. to trip; to get high; to have a drug-induced hallucinationUsually written using kana alone, Slang
行く 【ゆく】、逝く 【いく】、逝く 【ゆく】、往く 【いく】、往く 【ゆく】
往く: Out-dated kanji. 往く: Out-dated kanji.
1. to end; to come to an end; to close; to finish
終る 【おわる】、了わる 【おわる】、卒わる 【おわる】、畢わる 【おわる】、竟わる 【おわる】、了る 【おわる】、卒る 【おわる】、畢る 【おわる】、竟る 【おわる】
1. to cut; to cut through; to perform (surgery)
- き 。
- 2. Cut the daikon into long sticks.
2. to sever (connections, ties)See also 縁を切る
3. to turn off (e.g. the light)
- Do you mind if I turn off the AC?
4. to terminate (e.g. a conversation); to hang up (the phone); to disconnectSee also 電話を切る
- "May I speak to Mr Smith?" "Will you hold the line?"
5. to punch (a ticket); to tear off (a stub)
6. to open (something sealed)
- Once you break the seal, you can't return the tape.
7. to start
- しんきいってん 、
- き 。
- I quit my job and moved so I could start off with a clean slate.
8. to set (a limit); to do (something) in less or within a certain time; to issue (stamps, vouchers, etc.)
9. to reduce; to decrease; to discountSee also 値切る
10. to shake off (water, etc.); to let drip-dry; to let drain
11. to cross; to traverse
12. to criticize sharply
13. to act decisively; to do (something noticeable); to go first; to make (certain facial expressions, in kabuki)
14. to turn (vehicle, steering wheel, etc.)
15. to curl (a ball); to bend; to cut
- Please shuffle the cards carefully.
16. to shuffle (cards)
17. to discard a tileMahjong term
18. to dismiss; to sack; to let go; to expulse; to excommunicate
- Harry managed to swim across the river.
19. to dig (a groove); to cut (a stencil, on a mimeograph)
20. to trumpSee also 切り札
21. to cut (the connection between two groups) (in go)
22. to start a fire (with wood-wood friction or by striking a metal against stone)also written as 鑽る
23. to draw (a shape) in the air (with a sword, etc.)
24. to finish; to completeSee also 疲れきる, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to return (something); to restore; to put backSee also 帰す かえす, esp. 返す
- I'll give you back the money tomorrow.
2. to turn over; to turn upside down; to overturn
3. to pay back; to retaliate; to reciprocateesp. 返す
- You bit the hand that fed you.
4. to respond (with); to retort; to reply; to say back
5. to do ... back (e.g. speak back, throw back)after the -masu stem of a verb
6. to do again; to do repeatedlyafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to be (of animate objects); to existUsually written using kana alone, See also 在る
- Some have lost faith in democracy.
2. to stayUsually written using kana alone
- Which would you rather do, go to the cinema or stay at home?
3. to be ...-ing; to have been ...-ingUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb; indicates continuing action or state
- I haven't quite finished eating.
1. to put; to place
- Lay it on the table.
2. to leave (behind)
- As it happens, I have left the camera at home.
3. to establish (an organization, a facility, a position, etc.); to set up
4. to appoint (someone to a certain position); to hire; to employ
5. to place (one's trust, one's faith, etc.); to bear (in mind, etc.)
6. to put down a tool (e.g. a pen) hence stopping what one is doing with that tool
7. to take in (boarders, etc.); to provide lodging in one's house
8. to separate spatially or temporally
9. to do something in advanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- She always keeps her room clean.
10. to leave something in a certain state; to keep something in a certain stateUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
懸かる 【かかる】、掛る 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
1. to start; to begin; to commence; to initiate; to originateOnly applies to 始める
- When did you begin playing golf?
2. to start up (a business, society, etc.); to open (e.g. a store); to establish
- はじ 。
- We three sisters opened a coffee shop.
3. to start ...; to begin to ...Only applies to 始める, after the -masu stem of a verb
- はじ 。
- The room started to spin after I drank too much.
1. to come together; to merge; to unite; to meet
- あ 。
- This waistcoat won't meet at the front.
2. to fit; to match; to suit; to agree with; to be correct
- This white coat will look very nice on you.
3. to be profitable; to be equitable
4. to do ... to each other; to do ... togetherafter the -masu stem of a verb
- The two ladies smiled at each other.
おう: Irregular kana usage.
1. to say; to tell; to state; to express; to offer; to extend (greetings, congratulations, etc.)Humble (kenjougo)
- I can never thank you enough.
2. to doHumble (kenjougo)
申上げる 【もうしあげる】、申しあげる 【もうしあげる】
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. to give; to let (one) haveUsually written using kana alone, See also あげる, the receiver is the speaker or someone close to the speaker
- This watch was handed down to me by my grandfather.
2. to giveUsually written using kana alone, See also くれてやる, often as くれてやる; shows mild disdain for the receiver
- Call on me if you need my assistance.
3. to do for one; to take the trouble to doUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- We have to be there on time, so don't stand me up tomorrow!
4. to do to someone's disadvantageUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to continue; to keep up; to keep on
1. to get used to; to grow accustomed to; to become familiar withesp. 慣れる
- I was used to studying when I was a student.
2. to become skilled in; to become experienced atesp. 慣れる
- This camel is so tame that anyone can ride it.
3. to become tame; to become domesticatedesp. 馴れる
4. to get used to doingafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to cure; to healusu. 治す
2. to fix; to correct; to repairusu. 直す
3. to do over againafter -masu base of verb; usu. 直す
- The boy adjusted his cap.
4. to replace; to put back as it wasKansai dialect, Kyoto dialect, usu. 直す
- Put the book back where you found it.
5. to convert (into a different state); to transformusu. 直す
- Put the following sentences into Japanese.
1. to be crowded; to be packed
- The roads are very crowded at this time of the day.
2. to be complexSee also 手の込んだ
3. to go into; to put into; to remain (seated); to be plunged into (silence); to do thoroughlyOnly applies to 込む
4. to do intentlyOnly applies to 込む
5. to continue in the same stateOnly applies to 込む
混む 【こむ】、籠む 【こむ】、篭む 【こむ】
籠む: Irregular kanji usage. 篭む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to give; to offerHumble (kenjougo)
- "Can I help you?" "No, thank you. I'm just looking around."
2. to lift up; to hold up; to raiseHumble (kenjougo)
- さしあ 。
- He held the trophy up high.
差上げる 【さしあげる】、さし上げる 【さしあげる】
差上げる: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to finishOnly applies to 終える, Only applies to 了える
2. to graduate
了える 【おえる】、卒える 【おえる】
1. to turn; to rotate; to spin; to twist; to gyrate
- No, that's not the right way. You have to turn it the other way round.
2. to pass around; to send around; to hand around; to circulate
- The salt, if you please.
3. to move (someone or something to where its needed); to send; to bring; to transfer; to forward; to direct; to submit
- まわ 。
- I'll put you through to the president.
4. to turn (to a new use); to use (for something else)
5. to turn on (something that turns or has a rotating part, e.g. a washing machine); to start up (e.g. an engine); to give (something) a spin
- Please start up the motor, Tom.
6. to put (someone in a position); to make (e.g. an enemy of)
7. to ... around (e.g. chase, fool, play); to do all over; to do everywhere; to do completelyafter the -masu stem of a verb
8. to surround (something) with; to enclose with
9. to put (an arm) around (e.g. someone's waist); to reach around
- He put his arm around her waist.
10. to invest (money); to lend
11. to dial (a telephone number)
- まわ 。
- He took up the receiver and dialed.
12. to gang-rapeSee also 輪姦す