Words — 106 found
1. to receive; to get; to accept; to take; to buyHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う
- Thank you for the time you spent with me during my visit to Atlanta.
2. to eat; to drinkHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone
- いただ 」
- "Will you have some more coffee?" "No, thanks. I've had enough."
3. to be crowned with; to wear (on one's head); to have (on top)Usually written using kana alone, orig. meaning
4. to have (as one's leader); to live under (a ruler); to install (a president)Usually written using kana alone
5. to get somebody to do somethingHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う もらう, follows a verb in "-te" form
1. to break; to snap; to be cut; to split; to crack
- The two children pulled at the rope until it broke.
2. to be injured
3. to wear out; to be worn out
4. to break; to burst; to collapse
5. to wear off; to stop working; to go dead
6. to expire (time limit, etc.); to run out; to become due
7. to run out (of stock, etc.); to be exhausted; to be used up; to be sold out; to be out of
- きれ 。
- We're running out of gas.
8. to be broken off (e.g. of a relationship); to break up; to have severed ties; to be cut off; to be disconnected
9. to cut well; to be sharp
- き 。
- These scissors don't cut well.
10. to be sharp-minded; to be keen; to be shrewd; to be quick-witted; to be able
11. to be short of; to drop under (a certain figure); to beat (e.g. a record time)
- き ？
- Will they break the ten-second mark in the hundred-metre race?
12. to dry off
13. to curve; to veer
14. to shuffle (cards)
15. to get angry; to snap; to blow one's top; to lose one's temper; to flipColloquialism, See also キレる
- き 。
- Finally, he lost his temper.
16. to be able to do completelyUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb
- This ice is too thin to bear your weight.
1. to desire; to wish; to hope
- ねが 。
- We long for peace.
2. to beg; to request; to implore; to pray
- ねが 。
- He asked my pardon.
3. to have something done for oneself
- ねが 。
- Do watch your step.
1. to rot; to go bad; to decay; to spoil; to fester; to decompose; to turn sour (e.g. milk)
2. to corrode; to weather; to crumble
3. to become useless; to blunt; to weaken (from lack of practice)
4. to become depraved; to be degenerate; to be morally bankrupt; to be corrupt
5. to be depressed; to be dispirited; to feel discouraged; to feel downSee also 気が腐る きがくさる
6. indicates scorn or disdain for another's actionUsually written using kana alone, Kansai dialect, See also やがる, after the -masu stem of a verb
7. to lose a betArchaism
8. to be drenched; to become sopping wetArchaism
1. to get tired of; to lose interest in; to be fed up with; to have enough
厭きる 【あきる】、倦きる 【あきる】、倦る 【あきる】
倦る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to pull out; to draw out; to extract; to unplug; to weed
- ほう 。
- You had better go to the dentist to have that tooth pulled out.
2. to omit; to leave out; to go without; to skip
- It's no crime to skip breakfast once in a while.
3. to do to the end; to carry through
- ぬ 。
- Let's fight to the last.
4. to let out (e.g. air from a tyre); to drain (e.g. water from a bath); to empty
5. to pick out; to choose; to select; to extract
6. to pilfer; to steal
7. to remove; to get rid of; to take out
8. to pass; to overtake; to outstrip; to get ahead of
- ぬ 。
- He finally got ahead of the rest of class.
9. to pierce; to break through; to go throughalso written 貫く
10. to cut out (a shape); to create (a pattern) by dying the surrounding area
11. to seize; to capture; to reduce
12. to scoop (a story)
13. to take out (an opponent's stones; in go)
14. to masturbate (of a male); to ejaculate (while masturbating)Slang, Vulgar
15. to take (a photo); to record (video)Slang
1. to let fly; to make fly; to send flying; to blow off (e.g. in the wind); to launch; to fire; to hurl; to shoot
- と 。
- We let the bird fly.
2. to skip over; to leave out; to omit; to drop (e.g. a stitch)
- The actor missed a line.
3. to run fast; to drive fast; to gallop
- はじ 、
- When the bell rings, he'll start strong and Luciano will lose quickly.
4. to spray; to splash; to spatter
5. to say without reservation; to call out (e.g. a jeer); to rattle of (e.g. a joke)
6. to spread (e.g. a rumour); to circulate; to send out (a message); to issue (e.g. an appeal)
7. to transfer (to a less important post); to send away (e.g. to a provincial branch); to demote
8. to dispatch quickly (e.g. a reporter)
9. to get rid of; to burn off (alcohol)
10. to attack (e.g. with a leg manoeuvre)
11. to do vigorously; to do roughly; to do energetically
1. to build up; to establishUsually written using kana alone, esp. 成す
- も 。
- He has an ambition to make a name for himself as a writer.
2. to form; to become (a state)Usually written using kana alone, esp. 成す
- Locusts came in big swarms.
3. to accomplish; to achieve; to succeed inUsually written using kana alone
- Human beings have achieved a lot more than animals.
4. to change intoUsually written using kana alone
- ちが 。
- You don't practice what you preach.
5. to do; to performUsually written using kana alone, esp. 為す
6. to intend to; to attempt; to tryArchaism
1. to harm; to hurt; to injure; to damage; to spoil; to mar
2. to fail to ...; to miss one's opportunity to ...
害う 【そこなう】、損う 【そこなう】
損う: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to do; to undertake; to perform; to play (a game); to studyUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, See also 為る する
- He has sent the boy on an errand.
2. to send; to dispatch; to despatchUsually written using kana alone
3. to put; to move; to turn (one's head, glance, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Where've you stuck my flat-head screwdriver?!
4. to give (esp. to someone of equal or lower status); to let have; to present; to bestow; to conferUsually written using kana alone
- Here's $5.
5. to make (a vehicle) go fasterUsually written using kana alone
6. to run (a business); to keep; to be engaged in; to practice (law, medicine, etc.); to practiseUsually written using kana alone
- I had only one aim in throwing everything away to run this restaurant.
7. to have (food, drink, etc.); to eat; to drink; to smokeUsually written using kana alone
8. to hold (a performance); to perform; to showUsually written using kana alone, See also 演る
9. to ease (one's mind)Usually written using kana alone
10. to harm; to injure; to killColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, See also 殺る
- Don't kill off bystanders!
11. to have sex withUsually written using kana alone, Slang, See also 犯る
13. to do ... completelyUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb, often in the negative
14. to do ... broadly; to do ... to a great distanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb
15. to do ... for (someone of equal or lower status); to do ... to (sometimes with negative nuance)Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
16. to make active efforts to ...Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to accomplish; to achieve; to carry out; to fulfill; to fulfil; to realize; to execute; to perform; to do
2. to do ... completely; to do ... entirelyafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to exhaust; to run out
- Fishing trawlers have fished out all the local waters.
2. to devote; to serve (a person); to befriend
- People everywhere yearn for public leaders dedicated to world peace.
3. to do to exhaustion
尽す 【つくす】、盡す 【つくす】
盡す: Out-dated kanji.
1. to doUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- He said, "I will say nothing more, because I hate making excuses."
2. to cause to become; to make (into); to turn (into)Usually written using kana alone
- They will help you to get warm.
3. to serve as; to act as; to work asUsually written using kana alone
- かえ 。
- He used a headache as an excuse for leaving early.
4. to wear (clothes, a facial expression, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Don't make such a sour face.
5. to judge as being; to view as being; to think of as; to treat as; to use asUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする,〜とする
6. to decide on; to chooseUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする
- All right. I'll take it.
7. to be sensed (of a smell, noise, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, as 〜がする
- This soup smells horrible. Do you think it's gone off?
8. to be (in a state, condition, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
9. to be worth; to costUsually written using kana alone
10. to pass (of time); to elapseUsually written using kana alone
- しゅっぱつ 。
- He is leaving in three days.
11. to place, or raise, person A to a post or status BUsually written using kana alone, form (for senses 11-14) : AをBにする
12. to transform A to B; to make A into B; to exchange A for BUsually written using kana alone
13. to make use of A for B; to view A as B; to handle A as if it were BUsually written using kana alone
14. to feel A about BUsually written using kana alone
15. verbalizing suffix (applies to nouns noted in this dictionary with the part of speech "vs")Usually written using kana alone
17. to be just about to; to be just starting to; to try to; to attempt toUsually written using kana alone, See also とする, as 〜うとする,〜ようとする
1. to come (spatially or temporally); to approach; to arrive
- き 。
- I'll come by 10.
2. to come back; to do ... and come backSee also 行って来る
- My father insisted that I should go to see the place.
3. to come to be; to become; to get; to grow; to continue
4. to come from; to be caused by; to derive from
5. to come to (i.e. "when it comes to spinach ...")See also と来たら
來る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to miss (e.g. a chance); to lose; to let get away
2. to set free; to let goSee also 逃がす
3. to fail to ...after the -masu stem of a verb
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. to come; to go; to be (somewhere)Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), sometimes erroneously written 居らっしゃる
- Is your mother at home?
2. is (doing); are (doing)Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), after a -te form, or the particle "de"
- Which of your parents do you take after?
1. to be (animate); to be; to existUsually written using kana alone, Humble (kenjougo)
- This was he of whom I said, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me."
2. to be ..ingafter the -te form of a verb; indicates continuing action or state
- They're all fine, thank you.
3. to (have the audacity to) doSee also やがる, after -masu base of verb; indicates contempt or disdain for another's actions
1. to put something out of the way; to move (something, someone) aside
2. to remove; to exclude; to take awayOnly applies to 除ける
3. to set aside; to keep apartOnly applies to のける
4. to remove (someone) from the group; to shunOnly applies to のける
5. to do well despite difficulties; to accomplish despite adversityUsually written using kana alone, Only applies to のける, after the -te form of a verb
6. to do resolutely; to do boldlyUsually written using kana alone, Only applies to のける, after the -te form of a verb
除ける 【のける】、退ける 【どける】
1. to make a decision; to draw a conclusion
- The question is who will make the decision.
2. to give a judgement; to hand down a verdict; to pass a sentence; to give an order
- The verdict at issue in these discussions is the one brought in the Lander's trial in 1994.
3. to let go down; to lower
4. to do oneself; to do by oneselfSee also 手を下す
- な 。
- There's nothing to be done about it.
5. to beat; to defeat
6. to have loose bowels; to have diarrhea
7. to pass (in stool); to discharge from the body
8. to do in one go; to do to the end without stopping