Words — 125 found
1. to finish; to stop; to end; to put an end to; to bring to a closeUsually written using kana alone
- I will call you when I have done my shopping.
2. to close (a business, etc.); to close down; to shut down; to shut upUsually written using kana alone
3. to put away; to put back; to keep; to storeUsually written using kana alone
- Put away your books and notebooks.
4. to do completely; to finishUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- もど 。
- What is done cannot be undone.
5. to do accidentally; to do without meaning to; to happen to doUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
終う 【しまう】、了う 【しまう】、蔵う 【しまう】
1. to receive; to take; to acceptUsually written using kana alone
- Well then, I'll have chicken.
2. to get somebody to do somethingUsually written using kana alone, follows a verb in "-te" form
- I will have him come here the day after tomorrow.
3. to have in one's pocket (a fight, match)Usually written using kana alone
1. to get; to earn; to acquire; to procure; to gain; to secure; to attain; to obtain; to win獲る esp. refers to catching wild game, etc.
- あらそ 。
- Ten teams competed for the prize.
2. to understand; to comprehend
- え 。
- These gases can lead to global warming.
3. to receive something undesirable (e.g. a punishment); to get (ill)
1. to pass (time); to spend
2. to overdo (esp. of one's alcohol consumption); to drink (alcohol)
3. to take care of; to supportArchaism
4. to overdo; to do too much
5. to ... without acting on it
1. to receive; to get; to accept; to take; to buyHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う
- Thank you for the time you spent with me during my visit to Atlanta.
2. to eat; to drinkHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone
- いただ 」
- "Will you have some more coffee?" "No, thanks. I've had enough."
3. to be crowned with; to wear (on one's head); to have (on top)Usually written using kana alone, orig. meaning
4. to have (as one's leader); to live under (a ruler); to install (a president)Usually written using kana alone
5. to get somebody to do somethingHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う もらう, follows a verb in "-te" form
1. to break; to snap; to be cut; to split; to crack
- The two children pulled at the rope until it broke.
2. to be injured
3. to wear out; to be worn out
4. to break; to burst; to collapse
5. to wear off; to stop working; to go dead
6. to expire (time limit, etc.); to run out; to become due
7. to run out (of stock, etc.); to be exhausted; to be used up; to be sold out; to be out of
- きれ 。
- We're running out of gas.
8. to be broken off (e.g. of a relationship); to break up; to have severed ties; to be cut off; to be disconnected
9. to cut well; to be sharp
- き 。
- These scissors don't cut well.
10. to be sharp-minded; to be keen; to be shrewd; to be quick-witted; to be able
11. to be short of; to drop under (a certain figure); to beat (e.g. a record time)
- き ？
- Will they break the ten-second mark in the hundred-metre race?
12. to dry off
13. to curve; to veer
14. to shuffle (cards)
15. to get angry; to snap; to blow one's top; to lose one's temper; to flipColloquialism, See also キレる
- き 。
- Finally, he lost his temper.
16. to be able to do completelyUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb
- This ice is too thin to bear your weight.
1. to leave; to go away
- さ 、
- もど 。
- In 1900, he left England, and he never returned.
2. to pass; to elapse
- さ 、
- The good old days have gone, never to return.
3. to be distant
4. to send away; to drive off; to divorce
5. to (do) completelyafter a -masu stem, esp. of a suru verb
6. last ... (e.g. "last April")Only applies to 去る, Antonym: 来る きたる
- けっこん 。
- My sister married a high school teacher last June.
1. to desire; to wish; to hope
- ねが 。
- We long for peace.
2. to beg; to request; to implore; to pray
- ねが 。
- He asked my pardon.
3. to have something done for oneself
- ねが 。
- Do watch your step.
1. to rot; to go bad; to decay; to spoil; to fester; to decompose; to turn sour (e.g. milk)
2. to corrode; to weather; to crumble
3. to become useless; to blunt; to weaken (from lack of practice)
4. to become depraved; to be degenerate; to be morally bankrupt; to be corrupt
5. to be depressed; to be dispirited; to feel discouraged; to feel downSee also 気が腐る きがくさる
6. to have the audacity to; to be bastard enough toUsually written using kana alone, Kansai dialect, See also やがる, after the -masu stem of a verb; indicates scorn or disdain for another's action
7. to lose a betArchaism
8. to be drenched; to become sopping wetArchaism
1. to get tired of; to lose interest in; to be fed up with; to have enough
厭きる 【あきる】、倦きる 【あきる】、倦る 【あきる】
倦る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to pull out; to draw out; to extract; to unplug; to weed
- ほう 。
- You had better go to the dentist to have that tooth pulled out.
2. to omit; to leave out; to go without; to skip
- It's no crime to skip breakfast once in a while.
3. to do to the end; to carry through
- ぬ 。
- Let's fight to the last.
4. to let out (e.g. air from a tyre); to drain (e.g. water from a bath); to empty
5. to pick out; to choose; to select; to extract
6. to pilfer; to steal
7. to remove; to get rid of; to take out
8. to pass; to overtake; to outstrip; to get ahead of
- ぬ 。
- He finally got ahead of the rest of class.
9. to pierce; to break through; to go throughalso written 貫く
10. to cut out (a shape); to create (a pattern) by dying the surrounding area
11. to seize; to capture; to reduce
12. to scoop (a story)
13. to take out (an opponent's stones; in go)
14. to masturbate (of a male); to ejaculate (while masturbating)Slang, Vulgar
15. to take (a photo); to record (video)Slang
1. to stuff into; to jam; to cram; to pack; to fill; to plug; to stop up
- We've got to fill this hole with something.
2. to shorten; to move closer together
- Could I have this blouse taken in, please?
3. to reduce (spending); to conserve
4. to focus intently on; to strain oneself to doSee also 根を詰める, usu. as 根を詰める
5. to go through thoroughly; to work out (details); to bring to a conclusion; to wind up
6. to be on duty; to be stationed
7. to corner (esp. an opponent's king in shogi); to trap; to checkmate
8. to cut off (one's finger as an act of apology); to catch (one's finger in a door, etc.)See also 指を詰める, the meaning "to catch one's finger" is predominantly used in Kansai
9. to do non-stop; to do continuously; to keep doing (without a break)
10. to do completely; to do thoroughly
11. to force someone into a difficult situation by ...
1. to let fly; to make fly; to send flying; to blow off (e.g. in the wind); to launch; to fire; to hurl; to shoot
- と 。
- We let the bird fly.
2. to skip over; to leave out; to omit; to drop (e.g. a stitch)
- The actor missed a line.
3. to run fast; to drive fast; to gallop
- はじ 、
- When the bell rings, he'll start strong and Luciano will lose quickly.
4. to spray; to splash; to spatter
5. to say without reservation; to call out (e.g. a jeer); to rattle of (e.g. a joke)
6. to spread (e.g. a rumour); to circulate; to send out (a message); to issue (e.g. an appeal)
7. to transfer (to a less important post); to send away (e.g. to a provincial branch); to demote
8. to dispatch quickly (e.g. a reporter)
9. to get rid of; to burn off (alcohol)
10. to attack (e.g. with a leg manoeuvre)
11. to do vigorously; to do roughly; to do energetically
1. to build up; to establishUsually written using kana alone, esp. 成す
- も 。
- He has an ambition to make a name for himself as a writer.
2. to form; to become (a state)Usually written using kana alone, esp. 成す
- Locusts came in big swarms.
3. to accomplish; to achieve; to succeed inUsually written using kana alone
- Human beings have achieved a lot more than animals.
4. to change intoUsually written using kana alone
- ちが 。
- You don't practice what you preach.
5. to do; to performUsually written using kana alone, esp. 為す
6. to intend to; to attempt; to tryArchaism
1. to harm; to hurt; to injure; to damage; to spoil; to mar
2. to fail to ...; to miss one's opportunity to ...
害う 【そこなう】、損う 【そこなう】
損う: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to do; to undertake; to perform; to play (a game); to studyUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, See also 為る する
- He has sent the boy on an errand.
2. to send; to dispatch; to despatchUsually written using kana alone
3. to put; to move; to turn (one's head, glance, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Where've you stuck my flat-head screwdriver?!
4. to give (esp. to someone of equal or lower status); to let have; to present; to bestow; to conferUsually written using kana alone
- Here's $5.
5. to make (a vehicle) go fasterUsually written using kana alone
6. to run (a business); to keep; to be engaged in; to practice (law, medicine, etc.); to practiseUsually written using kana alone
- I had only one aim in throwing everything away to run this restaurant.
7. to have (food, drink, etc.); to eat; to drink; to smokeUsually written using kana alone
8. to hold (a performance); to perform; to showUsually written using kana alone, See also 演る
9. to ease (one's mind)Usually written using kana alone
10. to harm; to injure; to killColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, See also 殺る
- Don't kill off bystanders!
11. to have sex withUsually written using kana alone, Slang, See also 犯る
13. to do ... completelyUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb, often in the negative
14. to do ... broadly; to do ... to a great distanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb
15. to do ... for (someone of equal or lower status); to do ... to (sometimes with negative nuance)Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
16. to make active efforts to ...Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to accomplish; to achieve; to carry out; to fulfill; to fulfil; to realize; to execute; to perform; to do
2. to do ... completely; to do ... entirelyafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to exhaust; to run out
- Fishing trawlers have fished out all the local waters.
2. to devote; to serve (a person); to befriend
- People everywhere yearn for public leaders dedicated to world peace.
3. to do to exhaustion
尽す 【つくす】、盡す 【つくす】
盡す: Out-dated kanji.
1. to do; to carry out; to performUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- He said, "I will say nothing more, because I hate making excuses."
2. to cause to become; to make (into); to turn (into)Usually written using kana alone
- They will help you to get warm.
3. to serve as; to act as; to work asUsually written using kana alone
- かえ 。
- He used a headache as an excuse for leaving early.
4. to wear (clothes, a facial expression, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Don't make such a sour face.
5. to judge as being; to view as being; to think of as; to treat as; to use asUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする,〜とする
6. to decide on; to chooseUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする
- All right. I'll take it.
7. to be sensed (of a smell, noise, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, as 〜がする
- This soup smells horrible. Do you think it's gone off?
8. to be (in a state, condition, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
9. to be worth; to costUsually written using kana alone
10. to pass (of time); to elapseUsually written using kana alone
- しゅっぱつ 。
- He is leaving in three days.
11. to place, or raise, person A to a post or status BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
12. to transform A to B; to make A into B; to exchange A for BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
13. to make use of A for B; to view A as B; to handle A as if it were BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
14. to feel A about BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
15. verbalizing suffix (applies to nouns noted in this dictionary with the part of speech "vs")Usually written using kana alone
17. to be just about to; to be just starting to; to try to; to attempt toUsually written using kana alone, See also とする, as 〜うとする,〜ようとする
為る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to come (spatially or temporally); to approach; to arrive
- き 。
- I'll come by 10.
2. to come back; to do ... and come backSee also 行って来る
- My father insisted that I should go to see the place.
3. to come to be; to become; to get; to grow; to continue
4. to come from; to be caused by; to derive from
5. to come to (i.e. "when it comes to spinach ...")See also と来たら
來る: Out-dated kanji.