Words — 2445 found
1. to run
- Look at that boy running.
2. to travel (movement of vehicles); to drive; to flow (e.g. energy)
- はし 。
- This train runs between Tokyo and Osaka.
3. to hurry to
4. to retreat (from battle); to take flight
5. to run away from homeesp. 奔る
6. to elope
7. to tend heavily towardesp. 趨る
- Editors often go to extremes in providing their readers with unimportant facts.
8. to flash; to streak; to shoot through (e.g. pain)
9. RunningRunning is a means of terrestrial locomotion allowing hum... Read more
奔る 【はしる】、趨る 【はしる】
1. to become; to get; to grow; to be; to reach; to attainUsually written using kana alone
- When you go, I'll miss you very much.
2. to result in; to prove to be
- The news turned out true in a week.
3. to consist of; to be composed of
- な 。
- Nine players make up a team.
4. to succeed; to be complete
5. to change into; to be exchanged for
6. to play a roleSee also 成り済ます
7. to be promotedShogi term
8. to do ...Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), as お+masu-stem+になる, ご+noun+になる, etc.
1. to be aware of; to know; to be conscious of; to cognize; to cognise
2. to notice; to feel
3. to understand; to comprehend; to grasp
4. to remember; to be acquainted with (a procedure)
5. to experience; to go through; to learn
6. to be acquainted with (a person); to get to know
7. to concern
1. to take; to pick up; to harvest; to earn; to win; to choose
- You'd better eat everything that's on your plate.
2. to stealSee also 盗る
3. to eat; to have (a meal)See also 摂る
- You should drink a lot of liquid.
4. to remove (one's glasses, etc.)also written as 脱る
5. to compete (in sumo, cards, etc.); to play
1. to make; to produce; to manufacture; to build; to construct造る usu. for large-scale building, manufacturing, etc.; 創る usu. for creating
- つく 。
- Wherever he may go, he is sure to make friends.
2. to prepare (food); to brew (alcohol)
- つく 。
- You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
3. to raise; to grow; to cultivate; to trainSee also 野菜を作る
- It's much cheaper to live on grains and vegetables you can grow in your garden.
4. to till
5. to draw up (a document); to make out; to prepare; to write
- You should try to produce grammatical sentences.
6. to create (an artistic work, etc.); to compose
- つく 、
- Desktop publishing lets you produce books quickly and cheaply. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
7. to coin (a phrase); to organize; to organise; to establish; to found
8. to have (a child)
9. to make up (one's face, etc.)
10. to fabricate (an excuse, etc.)
11. to give a (false) appearance; to feign (a smile, etc.); to put on a show of emotion
12. to form (a line, etc.)
- おも 。
- I insist that exceptions not be made.
13. to set (a record)
14. to commit (a sin, etc.)
造る 【つくる】、創る 【つくる】
1. to get on (train, plane, bus, ship, etc.); to get in; to board; to take; to embark
- I'm catching the 11:00 train.
2. to get on (e.g. a footstool); to step on; to jump on; to sit on; to mountSee also 載る のる
- You really put that much in the sandwich?
3. to reach; to go over; to pass
- だま 」
- まちが 。
- If you say "I was tricked," well that's certainly so but there's no mistaking that you were the one who signed up on a "sweet deal".
4. to follow; to stay (on track); to go with (the times, etc.)
5. to take part; to participate; to join
6. to get into the swing (and sing, dance, etc.)
7. to be deceived; to be taken in
8. to be carried; to be spread; to be scatteredusu. with an adverb of manner, e.g. よく乗る
9. to stick; to attach; to take; to go onusu. with an adverb of manner, e.g. よく乗る
乘る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to finish; to end; to closealso written 了る, 卒る, etc.
終る 【おわる】、了わる 【おわる】、卒わる 【おわる】、畢わる 【おわる】、竟わる 【おわる】
1. to ascend; to go up; to climb
- You cannot climb!
2. to ascend (as a natural process, e.g. the sun); to riseusu. 昇る
- The sun was coming up then.
3. to go to (the capital)
4. to be promoted
5. to add up to
- The loss adds up to more than one million dollars.
6. to advance (in price)
- Prices are rising.
7. to swim up (a river); to sail up
- They rowed up the river.
8. to come up (on the agenda)
- こうもく （
- ぎろん ）
- つづ 。
- Let's proceed with the items on the agenda.
登る 【のぼる】、昇る 【のぼる】、陞る 【のぼる】
陞る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to stop (moving); to come to a stop
- と 。
- Then, the train screeched to a halt.
2. to stop (doing, working, being supplied); to come to a halt; to cease; to be stopped; to be suspended
- Partly because he could not receive enough information, Harper's description remains imperfect.
3. to alight; to perch on
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
留まる 【とまる】、停まる 【とまる】、駐まる 【とまる】、止る 【とまる】、留る 【とまる】
1. to cut; to cut through; to perform (surgery)
- き 。
- 2. Cut the daikon into long sticks.
2. to sever (connections, ties)See also 縁を切る
3. to turn off (e.g. the light)
- Do you mind if I turn off the AC?
4. to terminate (e.g. a conversation); to hang up (the phone); to disconnectSee also 電話を切る
- "May I speak to Mr Smith?" "Will you hold the line?"
5. to punch (a ticket); to tear off (a stub)
6. to open (something sealed)
- Once you break the seal, you can't return the tape.
7. to start
- しんきいってん 、
- き 。
- I quit my job and moved so I could start off with a clean slate.
8. to set (a limit); to do (something) in less or within a certain time; to issue (stamps, vouchers, etc.)
9. to reduce; to decrease; to discountSee also 値切る
10. to shake off (water, etc.); to let drip-dry; to let drain
11. to cross; to traverse
12. to criticize sharply
13. to act decisively; to do (something noticeable); to go first; to make (certain facial expressions, in kabuki)
14. to turn (vehicle, steering wheel, etc.)
15. to curl (a ball); to bend; to cut
- Please shuffle the cards carefully.
16. to shuffle (cards)
17. to discard a tileMahjong term
18. to dismiss; to sack; to let go; to expulse; to excommunicate
- Harry managed to swim across the river.
19. to dig (a groove); to cut (a stencil, on a mimeograph)
20. to trumpSee also 切り札
21. to cut (the connection between two groups) (in go)
22. to start a fire (with wood-wood friction or by striking a metal against stone)also written as 鑽る
23. to draw (a shape) in the air (with a sword, etc.)
24. to finish; to completeSee also 疲れきる, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to stick; to paste; to affixesp. 貼る
- Attach a recent photograph to your application form.
2. to stretch; to spread; to strain; to tighten; to put up (tent)
- Have you ever seen a spider spinning its web?
3. to form (e.g. ice on a pond)
- は 。
- There was thin ice on the lake.
4. to fill; to swell
5. to stick out; to put; to slap
6. to be expensive
7. to keep a watch on; to be on the lookout
9. to span; to generateMathematics
1. to take (a photo)esp. 撮る
2. to record (video, audio, etc.); to make (a film)esp. 録る
1. to understand; to comprehend; to grasp; to see; to get; to followUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- "I understand how you feel, Hiroshi," says Mike.
2. to become clear; to be known; to be discovered; to be realized; to be realised; to be found outUsually written using kana alone
- I see that he is an able man.
解る 【わかる】、判る 【わかる】、分る 【わかる】
1. to enter; to go intoAntonym: 出る
- はい 、
- こた 。
- "I do not regret having gone into the forest and up the mountain," replied the younger brother.
2. to break into
- はい 。
- A burglar broke into your house while you were away on vacation.
3. to join; to enroll
- If he could pass for eighteen years old, he'd join the army.
4. to contain; to hold; to accommodate
- People under eighteen aren't supposed to buy alcoholic drinks.
5. to have (an income of)
- げっしゅう ２０００
- はい 。
- He has a monthly income of 2,000 dollars.
6. to get; to receive; to score
1. to fall (of rain, snow, ash, etc.); to come down
2. to form (of frost)
3. to beam down (of sunlight or moonlight); to pour in
4. to visit (of luck, misfortune, etc.); to come; to arrive
1. to return; to come home; to go home; to go backSee also 返る
- かえ 。
- Lover, come back to me.
2. to leaveof a guest, customer, etc.
- はじ 。
- After 11 o'clock the guests began to leave by twos and threes.
3. to get home; to get to home plateBaseball term
還る 【かえる】、歸る 【かえる】
歸る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
懸かる 【かかる】、掛る 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
1. to sit; to squat
- すわ 、
- た 。
- Some students were sitting on the bench and having lunch.
2. to assume (a position)
3. to hold steady; to hold stillesp. 据わる, 据る
坐る 【すわる】、据わる 【すわる】、据る 【すわる】
据る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to be troubled; to have difficulty; to be in a fix; to be at a loss; to be stumped; to be embarrassed
2. to be bothered; to be inconvenienced; to be annoyed
3. to be badly off; to be hard up; to be in straitened circumstances