Words — 1073 found
1. story; tale; narrative; account; fable; legend
2. Monogatariis a literary form in traditional Japanese literature, an... Read more
物語り: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. aroma; fragrance; scent; smell
2. Kaoru GenjiKaoru Genji is a fictional character in The Tale of Genji... Read more
薫り 【かおり】、馨り 【かおり】、香 【かおり】、薫 【かおり】
香: Irregular okurigana usage. 薫: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. part; assigning (allotment of) parts; role; duties
2. RoleA role or a social role is a set of connected behaviours,... Read more
役割り: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. laugh; laughterSee also 笑う
- The baby is not old enough to be capable of hostile laughter.
2. smileSee also 笑う
- う 、
- たか 。
- Our smile, which is understandable in the context of Japanese culture, sometimes causes a lot of confusion and is notorious among foreign people as a mysterious smile.
3. sneerSee also 笑う, esp. 嗤い
- わら 』
- ちょうしょう 』。
- "No, no! That isn't the smiling face we are looking for." It was a 'smirk' either that or a 'sneer'.
4. sex aids (e.g. dildos, pornographic books, erotic woodblock prints, etc.)
5. LaughterLaughing is a reaction to certain stimuli. It may ensue f... Read more
咲い 【わらい】、嗤い 【わらい】、笑 【わらい】
笑: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. date; dating
2. Calendar dateA date in a calendar is a reference to a particular day r... Read more
日付け 【ひづけ】、日附 【ひづけ】
日付け: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. everyone; everybody; allUsually written using kana alone
- あい 。
- She is loved by everybody.
2. everything; allUsually written using kana alone
- The leaves have all fallen.
皆んな 【みんな】、皆 【みな】
皆んな: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. new; novel; fresh; recent; latest; up-to-date; modern
新らしい: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. talk; speech; chat; conversationOnly applies to 話, Only applies to 話し
- Don't throw a wet blanket over our conversation.
2. topic; subject
- He dwelt on an unpleasant subject for two hours.
3. discussions; negotiation; argumentOnly applies to 話, Only applies to 話し
- After three hours of discussion we got nowhere.
4. rumor; talk; hearsay
- They say we are going to have a severe winter.
5. tale; story; fable
- I was lost in Sir Anthony's wonderful story.
6. circumstances; particulars
- I want a full report though.
話し 【はなし】、咄 【はなし】、噺 【はなし】
話し: Irregular okurigana usage. 咄: Rarely-used kanji form. 噺: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. back; behind; rear
後: Irregular okurigana usage.
- かとおも 、
- No sooner has one typhoon passed than the next one approaches.
2. for one thingoften used in itemized lists
- For one thing, I am poor; for another, I am busy.
3. onlyafter a noun
4. (not) evenwith a verb in negative form
- うご 。
- He did not even raise an eyebrow at the news of his wife's death.
5. just (e.g. "just try it")
6. some kind of; one type of
１つ 【ひとつ】、一 【ひとつ】
一: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. busy; occupied; hectic
2. restless; hurried; fidgety
忙がしい: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. warm; mild; (pleasantly) hot暖かい usu. refers to air temperature
- It will get warmer and warmer.
2. considerate; kind; genialOnly applies to 温かい
- She has a kind heart.
3. warm (of a colour); mellowOnly applies to 暖かい
4. having enough moneyOnly applies to 暖かい
暖かい 【あったかい】、温かい 【あたたかい】、温かい 【あったかい】、暖い 【あたたかい】、暖い 【あったかい】
暖い: Irregular okurigana usage. 暖い: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. togetherSee also 御一緒
2. at the same time
3. same; identical
一しょ: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. end; finish; place to stopUsually written using kana alone
2. bound; limit; endUsually written using kana alone, See also 切りがない
3. delivery date (of a futures contract)Finance, Only applies to 限り, Only applies to 限
4. finale (of a noh song); end of an act (in jōruri or kabuki); final performance of the day (in vaudeville)
5. trump card
6. king (court card; in mekuri karuta and unsun karuta)
7. counter for slices (esp. thick slices); counter for cuts (of fish, meat, etc.)
- かえ 。
- He went there, never to return.
8. only; justUsually written using kana alone, See also っきり, sometimes pronounced ぎり
- Though 38, he is still dependent on his parents.
9. (ever) since; afterUsually written using kana alone, usu. in a negative sentence; sometimes pronounced ぎり
10. continuously; remaining (in a particular state)Usually written using kana alone, sometimes pronounced ぎり
限り 【きり】、切 【きり】、限 【きり】
切: Irregular okurigana usage. 限: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. few; a little; scarce; insufficient; seldom
少い 【すくない】、尠い 【すくない】、寡い 【すくない】
少い: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. next (to); adjoining; adjacent
2. house next door; neighbouring house; next-door neighbour; next-door neighbor
隣り 【となり】、鄰 【となり】
隣り: Irregular okurigana usage. 鄰: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. disagreeable; detestable; unpleasant; reluctant
厭 【いや】、厭や 【いや】、嫌 【や】、厭 【や】、イヤ
厭や: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. light; well-lit; well-lighted
- ひか 。
- The diamond shone brightly.
2. bright (of a colour); brightly-coloured; brightly-colored
- めをひ 。
- The bright colors arrested our eyes.
3. cheerful; bright; spirited; sunny (e.g. disposition)
- The child captivates everyone with his sunny smile.
4. encouraging (for the future of a project, etc.); promising; of fair prospects
5. familiar (with); knowledgeable (about); well versed (in)as 〜に明るい
- You're pretty good with the lay of the land.
6. fair (e.g. politics); clean; impartial
明い: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. that; itUsually written using kana alone, See also これ, See also あれ, See also どれ, indicating an item or person near the listener, the action of the listener, or something on their mind
- お 、
- Should that happen, what will you do?
2. then; that point (in time); that timeUsually written using kana alone
- た 。
- That was when I was in the first year at high school, so 17 years have passed since then.
3. thereArchaism, indicating a place near the listener
其れ: Rarely-used kanji form. 其: Irregular okurigana usage, Rarely-used kanji form.
1. this; this oneUsually written using kana alone, See also それ, See also あれ, See also どれ, indicating an item near the speaker, the action of the speaker, or the current topic
- This is an interesting book.
2. this personUsually written using kana alone, usu. indicating someone in one's in-group
- This is my brother. Handsome, isn't he?
3. now; this point (in time)Usually written using kana alone, as これから, これまで, etc.
- べんきょう 。
- I will study English hard from now on.
4. hereDated term, Usually written using kana alone
5. used to stress the subject of a sentenceFormal or literary term, Usually written using kana alone
6. I; meArchaism
是 【これ】、是れ 【これ】、之 【これ】、之れ 【これ】、維 【これ】、惟 【これ】、此 【これ】
此れ: Rarely-used kanji form. 是: Rarely-used kanji form. 是れ: Rarely-used kanji form. 之: Rarely-used kanji form. 之れ: Rarely-used kanji form. 維: Rarely-used kanji form. 惟: Rarely-used kanji form. 此: Irregular okurigana usage, Rarely-used kanji form.