Words — 870 found
1. above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
- It's in the overhead compartment.
2. top; summit
- If you stand on this stool, you can reach the top of the closet.
3. surface; on
- Are there any pens on the desk?
4. before; previous
5. superiority; one's superior (i.e. one's elder)
6. on top of that; besides; what's more
- つよ 。
- It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
7. upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)
- They acted immediately by agreement.
8. matters concerning...; as concerns ...
9. since (i.e. "for that reason")as ...上は
10. suffix indicating higher social standingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 父上
11. place of one's superior (i.e. the throne)Archaism
12. emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyoArchaism
13. noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)Archaism
1. from the standpoint of; as a matter of (e.g. fact); in the field of; being of the type of
- うつ 。
- The company moved its corporate domicile to Hong Kong for tax purposes.
2. aboard (a ship or vehicle); on top of; on; above
- You may be able to read the handwriting on the wall, but it is Greek to me.
4. superior quality; best; top; high class
5. going up
6. governmental; imperial
7. presenting; showing
8. ana- (medical, biol.)
1. upper reaches (of a river); upper streamAntonym: 下 しも
2. top; upper part; upper half (of the body)
3. long ago
4. beginning; first
5. person of high rank (e.g. the emperor)Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 御上
6. government; imperial court
7. imperial capital (i.e. Kyoto); capital region (i.e. Kansai); region (or direction of) the imperial palaceSee also 上方 かみがた
8. head (of a table)
9. wife; mistress (of a restaurant)Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo)
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. skillful; skilled; proficient; good (at); adept; cleverAntonym: 下手 へた
- Do you play basketball well?
上手 【じょうて】、上手 【じょうしゅ】
じょうて: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. じょうしゅ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to ascend; to go up; to climb
- You cannot climb!
2. to ascend (as a natural process, e.g. the sun); to riseusu. 昇る
- The sun was coming up then.
3. to go to (the capital)
4. to be promoted
5. to add up to
- The loss adds up to more than one million dollars.
6. to advance (in price)
- Prices are rising.
7. to swim up (a river); to sail up
- They rowed up the river.
8. to come up (on the agenda)
- こうもく （
- ぎろん ）
- つづ 。
- Let's proceed with the items on the agenda.
登る 【のぼる】、昇る 【のぼる】、陞る 【のぼる】
陞る: Out-dated kanji.
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. coat; tunic; jacket; outer garment
上衣 【うわぎ】、表着 【うわぎ】、上衣 【じょうい】
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
- My father has just come out of the bath.
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- I always get nervous just before a match.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. ascent; climbing; ascending (path); climb
- The road ascends gently here.
2. up-train (e.g. going to Tokyo)Only applies to 上り, See also 上り列車
3. northward (towards Tokyo)
登り 【のぼり】、昇り 【のぼり】
1. superior; first-class; excellent; top quality
- Why have you kept such an excellent wine back till now?
2. (that's) just fine!; bring it on!
1. skillful; skilful; clever; expert; wise; successfulUsually written using kana alone, esp. 上手い,巧い
- じかんどお 、
- おも 。
- "I can make it to my class on time," he thought.
2. delicious; appetizing; appetising; tastyUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い,美味い,甘い
- That place's food is great, and their prices are good, but the fly in the ointment is their terrible location.
3. fortunate; splendid; promisingUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い
- That's too good a story to be true.
美味い 【うまい】、旨い 【うまい】、巧い 【うまい】、甘い 【うまい】、美い 【うまい】
1. top and bottom; high and low; above and below; upper and lower ends; up and down
2. going up and down; rising and falling; fluctuating
3. going and coming back
4. upper and lower classes; ruler and ruled; the government and the people
5. first and second volumes
1. advanced level; high grade; senior
1. first 10 days of month
1. performance (of a play, opera, etc.); staging; presentation