Words — 1 found
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.