Words — 603 found
1. below; down; under; younger (e.g. daughter)
- "By the way, where's your old man?" "Under that over-turned truck."
- Sign at the bottom, please.
3. beneath; underneath
- The rain penetrated my raincoat.
4. just after; right afteras 下から, 下より, etc.
5. inferiority; one's inferior (i.e. one's junior)
- お 。
- I put Milton after Dante.
6. trade-inSee also 下取り
7. preliminary; preparatorySee also 下準備
1. under (guidance, supervision, rules, the law, etc.)often のもとに or のもとで
2. under (a flag, the sun, etc.); beneath
3. with (e.g. one blow); on (the promise, condition, assumption, etc. that ...); in (e.g. the name of)in the form ...のもとに
4. (somebody's) side; (somebody's) locationSee also 元, usu. written 元
JLPT N3 Links
JLPT N3 Links
1. lower reaches (of a river)Antonym: 上 かみ
2. bottom; lower part
3. lower half (of the body, esp. the privates); feces (faeces); urine; menses
4. end; far from the imperial palace (i.e. far from Kyoto, esp. of western Japan)
5. dirty (e.g. dirty jokes, etc.)
1. please (give me)Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- くだ 。
- I'd like to have some hot chocolate.
2. please (do for me)Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), after te-form of a verb or a noun prefixed with o- or go-
1. to descend (e.g. a mountain); to go down; to come downesp. 下りる
- The professional skier liked to "hot-dog" down the mountain.
2. to alight (e.g. from bus); to get off; to disembark; to dismountesp. 降りる
- Let's get off here.
3. to step down; to retire; to give up; to quit; to fold
4. to be granted; to be issued; to be givenesp. 下りる
5. to form (of frost, dew, mist, etc.)esp. 降りる
- The dew fell this morning.
6. to be passed (from the body; e.g. of a roundworm)See also 下り物, esp. 下りる
1. unskillful; poor; awkwardAntonym: 上手 じょうず
- He comes from England, but is very poor at English.
2. imprudent; untactful
- Take care not to make a foolish move.
1. to come down; to go down; to fall; to drop; to sink; to get lowerAntonym: 上がる
2. to hang; to dangle
3. to move back; to step back; to withdraw; to retire
4. to deteriorate; to fall off; to be downgraded
5. to get closer to the present day
6. to go southin Kyoto
下る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to hang; to suspend; to wear (e.g. decoration)
2. to lower; to reduce; to bring down
3. to demote; to move back; to pull back
4. to clear (plates); to remove (food, etc. from table or altar)
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. boarding; lodging; board and lodging; room and board
- She boards students.
2. boarding house; lodging house; lodgings
- さが 。
- I was on the hunt for lodgings.
1. diarrhea; diarrhoea
2. DiarrheaDiarrhea, also spelled diarrhoea, is the condition of hav... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. to give; to confer; to bestowHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Usually written using kana alone
2. to kindly do for one; to oblige; to favour; to favorHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Usually written using kana alone
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. down-train; train heading toward the ending point of its route
2. down-slope; downward going
- The downclimb here is also dangerous as there are no handholds.
3. downbound (esp. away from Tokyo)
1. low-lying part of a city (usu. containing shops, factories, etc.)
2. Shitamachi (low-lying area of eastern Tokyo near Tokyo Bay, incl. Asakusa, Shitaya, Kanda, Fukugawa, Honjo, Nihonbashi, Kyobashi and surrounds)See also 山の手
1. to take down; to bring down; to lower (a hand, flag, shutter, etc.); to drop (an anchor, curtain, etc.); to let down (hair); to launch (a boat)
- Can you bring down my trunk from upstairs?
2. to drop off (a passenger); to let off; to unload (goods, a truck, etc.); to offload; to dischargeesp. 降ろす
- Please let me off on this side of that traffic light.
3. to withdraw (money)
- Please draw a hundred thousand yen from the bank.
4. to use for the first time; to wear for the first time
5. to cut off; to fillet (fish); to grate (e.g. radish); to prune (branches)
6. to remove (someone from a position); to oust; to dropesp. 降ろす
7. to clear (the table); to remove (offerings from an alter); to pass down (e.g. old clothes); to hand down
8. to expel from the body (e.g. worms); to abort (a fetus)See also 堕ろす
9. to invoke (a spirit); to call down
降ろす 【おろす】、下す 【おろす】
下す: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to descend; to go down; to come down
- There is a school down the mountain.
2. to be handed down (of an order, judgment, etc.)
- くだ 。
- He was given ten years and his wife three.
3. to pass (of time)
4. to surrender; to capitulate
5. to be less than; to be inferior tooften in neg. form
6. to have the runs; to have diarrheaSee also 腹が下る, also written as 瀉る
7. to pass (in stool); to be discharged from the body
8. to depreciate oneself; to be humbleArchaism
Common word JLPT N2 Links