Words — 236 found
1. origin; sourceusu. 元
- It was under these circumstances that the constitutional crisis began.
2. base; basis; foundation; rootesp. 基
- The basis of this system is that the students must take turns in teaching, they have to help each other.
3. causealso 因, 原
- し 。
- The clerk died from overwork.
4. ingredient; materialesp. 素
5. (somebody's) side; (somebody's) locationOnly applies to 元
- He had no idea why his wife left him.
6. original cost (or capital, principal, etc.)
7. (plant) root; (tree) trunk
8. first section of a wakaSee also 和歌
9. counter for blades of grass, tree trunks, etc., and for falcons (in falconry)Only applies to 本
10. handle (chopsticks, brush, etc.); grip
11. BookA book is a set of written, printed, illustrated, or blan... Read more
本 【もと】、素 【もと】、基 【もと】
1. former; ex-; past; one-time
- My wife used to be a pro-wrestler, so if she ever catches me two-timing her, I'd be beaten to a pulp.
2. earlier times; the past; previous state
3. formerly; previously; originally; before
旧 【もと】、故 【もと】
1. unknown (e.g. in an equation)Mathematics
2. element (of a set)Mathematics
3. yuan (monetary unit of China)
4. Yuan dynasty (China, 1271-1368); Yüan dynasty; Mongol dynasty
1. lively; full of spirit; energetic; vigorous; vital; spirited
2. healthy; well; fit; in good health
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. originally; by nature; from the startUsually written using kana alone
本々 【もともと】、元元 【もともと】、本本 【もともと】
1. originally; essentially; naturally; by nature; really; actually
2. in the first place; to begin with
1. New Year's Day
2. New YearNew Year is the time at which a new calendar year begins ... Read more
1. sovereign; ruler; head of state
2. Head of stateA head of state is the individual who serves as the chief... Read more
1. from the beginning; from the first; all along; originallyUsually written using kana alone
- From the outset I was prepared for the worst.
2. of courseUsually written using kana alone
- Of course I am aware of that.
固より 【もとより】、素より 【もとより】
1. New Year's DayColloquialism, See also 元日
2. New Year's morning; morning of New Year's Dayorig. meaning
1. first year (of an imperial era)
2. year something (important) first happened or began