Words — 907 found
1. above; over; up
- と 。
- The plane flew over the mountain.
2. top; summit; upper part; head (e.g. of a staircase)
- Can you reach to the top of the bookshelf?
3. surface; on (top of)
- There is a book on the desk.
4. the above (in a piece of writing); earlier part
5. superior; better; higher (position, rank, etc.); upper (class)
- He is far above me in skiing.
6. elder; older; senior
- み 。
- He looks older than my brother.
7. with respect to ...; in terms of; as far as ... is concerned; when (e.g. drunk)as ...上で(は) or ...上の
- He has more experience on the job than I.
8. besides ...; in addition to ...; on top of ...; as well as ...as ...上(に)
- つよ 。
- It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
9. after ...; upon ...; on ...; with (e.g. full awareness); as a result of ...as ...上(で)
- They acted immediately by agreement.
10. since ...; now that ...; because ...as ...上は
11. honorable; venerable; dearHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 父上, after a person of higher status
12. emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyoArchaism
1. from the standpoint of; from the viewpoint of; with respect to; in terms of; as a matter of; in view of; so far as ... is concerned
- He gave up the plan for economic reasons.
2. on; above; on top of; aboard (a ship or vehicle)
- The blue lines on the map correspond to rivers.
3. the best; top; first class; first grade
4. first volume (of a two or three-volume set); first bookSee also 下
5. with my complimentswritten on a gift's wrapping paper
1. upper reaches (of a river); upper streamAntonym: 下 しも
2. top; upper part; upper half (of the body)
3. long ago
4. beginning; first
5. person of high rank (e.g. the emperor)Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 御上
6. government; imperial court
7. imperial capital (i.e. Kyoto); capital region (i.e. Kansai); region (or direction of) the imperial palaceSee also 上方 かみがた
8. head (of a table)
9. wife; mistress (of a restaurant)Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language, after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo) language, See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. skillful; skilled; proficient; good (at); adept; cleverAntonym: 下手 へた
- Do you play basketball well?
上手 【じょうて】、上手 【じょうしゅ】
じょうて: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. じょうしゅ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to ascend; to go up; to climbOnly applies to 上る, Only applies to 登る
- You cannot climb!
2. to ascend (as a natural process, e.g. the Sun); to riseOnly applies to 上る, Only applies to 昇る
- The sun was coming up then.
3. to go to (the capital)Only applies to 上る
4. to be promotedOnly applies to 昇る
5. to add up toOnly applies to 上る
- The loss adds up to more than one million dollars.
6. to advance (in price)Only applies to 上る
- Prices are rising.
7. to swim up (a river); to sail upOnly applies to 上る
- They rowed up the river.
8. to come up (on the agenda)Only applies to 上る
- こうもく （
- ぎろん ）
- つづ 。
- Let's proceed with the items on the agenda.
登る 【のぼる】、昇る 【のぼる】
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. coat; tunic; jacket; outer garment
上衣 【うわぎ】、表着 【うわぎ】、上衣 【じょうい】
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo) language
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. superior; first-class; excellent; top quality
- Why have you kept such an excellent wine back till now?
2. (that's) just fine!; bring it on!
1. skillful; skilful; skilled; good; expert; clever (expression, trick, etc.); apt; appropriateUsually written using kana alone, esp. 上手い, 巧い
- She's very good at tennis, but she's not much of a swimmer.
2. delicious; tasty; good; niceUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い, 美味い, 甘い
- That place's food is great, and their prices are good, but the fly in the ointment is their terrible location.
3. good (deal, idea, etc.); profitable; promising; lucky; fortunate; successful; satisfactory; splendidUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い
- That's too good a story to be true.
美味い 【うまい】、旨い 【うまい】、巧い 【うまい】、甘い 【うまい】、美い 【うまい】
美い: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. top and bottom; high and low; above and below; upper and lower ends; up and down
2. going up and down; rising and falling; fluctuating
3. going and coming back
4. upper and lower classes; ruler and ruled; the government and the people
5. first and second volumes
1. upper level; upper grade; high rank; advanced level; senior level; upper class
1. first 10 days of month
1. performance (of a play, opera, etc.); staging; presentation