Words — 1142 found
1. to receive; to get
- うけ 。
- People of 65 and above get a pension from the government.
2. to catch (e.g. a ball)
3. to be struck by (wind, waves, sunlight, etc.)
4. to sustain (damage); to incur (a loss); to suffer (an injury); to feel (influence)
- う 。
- We received an eviction notice.
5. to undergo (e.g. surgery); to take (a test); to accept (a challenge)
- We gladly accept your offer.
6. to be given (e.g. life, talent)esp. 受ける, 享ける
7. to follow; to succeed; to be descended fromesp. 受ける, 享ける
8. to face (south, etc.)
9. to be modified bylinguistics terminology, esp. 受ける, 承ける
10. to obtain (a pawned item, etc.) by paying a feeSee also 請け出す, esp. 請ける, now primarily used in compound words
11. to be well-received; to become popular; to go down wellUsually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる, うける
- My joke went over very well.
12. to be funny; to be humorousColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる
請ける 【うける】、承ける 【うける】、享ける 【うける】、ウケる
1. air; atmosphere
2. mood; situationSee also 空気を読む くうきをよむ
3. someone with no presence; someone who doesn't stand out at allColloquialism, Idiomatic expression
1. unreasonable; unnatural; unjustifiable
3. forcible; forced; compulsoryoften as 無理に
4. excessive (work, etc.); immoderate
5. to work too hard; to try too hard
6. no way; not a chance; never; dream onColloquialism
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. gas (state of matter, e.g. poison gas, natural gas)Usually written using kana alone, From Dutch; Flemish , From English
2. gasoline; gas; petrolUsually written using kana alone
3. dense fog; thick fogUsually written using kana alone
4. gas stove; gas cooker; gas rangeUsually written using kana alone, Abbreviation, See also ガス焜炉
5. flatulence; gas; wind; fartUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism
瓦斯: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. counter for occurrences
- Some new kinds of rice can be harvested two or three times a year.
2. a time; an instance
- We have to win seven times in a row to win this tournament.
3. inning (baseball); round; game
4. episode; chapter; instalmentColloquialism
5. Hui (people)Abbreviation, See also 回族
6. IslamAbbreviation, See also 回教
1. cherry tree; cherry blossom
- They seem a little past their peak, but even so we enjoyed the beautiful cherry blossoms.
2. decoy; fake buyer; shillalso 偽客
3. hired applauder
4. horse meatColloquialism, See also 桜肉
櫻: Out-dated kanji.
1. time; season; period; phase; stage
- か 。
- The weather changes very often at this time of year.
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. to break; to snap; to be cut; to split; to crack
- The two children pulled at the rope until it broke.
2. to be injured
3. to wear out; to be worn out
4. to break; to burst; to collapse
5. to wear off; to stop working; to go dead
6. to expire (time limit, etc.); to run out; to become due
7. to run out (of stock, etc.); to be exhausted; to be used up; to be sold out; to be out of
- きれ 。
- We're running out of gas.
8. to be broken off (e.g. of a relationship); to break up; to have severed ties; to be cut off; to be disconnected
9. to cut well; to be sharp
- き 。
- These scissors don't cut well.
10. to be sharp-minded; to be keen; to be shrewd; to be quick-witted; to be able
11. to be short of; to drop under (a certain figure); to beat (e.g. a record time)
- き ？
- Will they break the ten-second mark in the hundred-metre race?
12. to dry off
13. to curve; to veer
14. to shuffle (cards)
15. to get angry; to snap; to blow one's top; to lose one's temper; to flipColloquialism, See also キレる
- き 。
- Finally, he lost his temper.
16. to be able to do completelyUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb
- This ice is too thin to bear your weight.
1. raw; uncooked; fresh
- す 。
- As is often the case with Americans, he does not care for raw fish.
2. natural; as it is; unedited; unprocessed
- み 、
- A critic once said that if you saw my ballet paintings, you didn't have to go to a live performance.
3. unprotected (i.e. not wearing a condom)Colloquialism
- The sensitivity certainly drops if I use a condom, so if possible I'd like to do it bareback.
4. live (i.e. not recorded)
5. inexperienced; unpolished; green; crude
6. impudence; saucinessAbbreviation, See also 生意気
7. unpasteurized beer; draft beer; draught beerAbbreviation, See also 生ビール
8. just a little; somehow; vaguely; partially; somewhat; half-; semi-
9. irresponsibly; half-baked
11. tipsinessAbbreviation, See also 生酔い
1. to eatMale term or language
- く 。
- The starving man devoured the food.
2. to live; to make a living; to survive
3. to bite; to sting (as insects do)
4. to tease; to torment; to taunt; to make light of; to make fun of
5. to encroach on; to eat into; to consume
6. to defeat a superior; to threaten a position
7. to consume time and-or resources
- く 。
- This job eats money.
8. to receive something (usu. an unfavourable event)Colloquialism
- く 。
- The boss bawled me out.
9. to have sexual relations with a woman, esp. for the first timeMale term or language, Vulgar
喰う 【くう】、啖う 【くう】
啖う: Out-dated kanji.
1. unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive; terribleUsually written using kana alone
- It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
2. absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshitColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone
- "Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
3. don't mention it; you're welcomeUsually written using kana alone
飛んでもない: Irregular kanji usage.
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. yes; that is correctPolite (teineigo)
- "Hello, is this Mrs. Brown?" "Yes, this is Mrs. Brown."
2. understood; I see; OK; okay
- Here's a magazine for you to read in the plane.
3. present; hereas a response to a roll call
4. pardon?; what's that?; come again?Colloquialism, with rising intonation
5. now; here; here you goused when calling for someone's attention or when handing something to someone
6. giddy-up; giddap
7. Yes and noYes and no are two words for expressing affirmatives and ... Read more
1. holiday house; vacation home; villa
2. prison; jailColloquialism
Common word JLPT N2 Links
- おく １６００
- In the U.S., as many as 216 million firearms are said to be in private hands.
2. wooden pole that wrestlers strike in practiceSumo term
3. fuguColloquialism, See also 河豚
1. coolness; calmness; composure; unconcern
2. all right; fine; OK; okayColloquialism
1. to love; to be affectionate; to favor; to favour; to be partial to
2. to torment; to tease; to be rough with
1. to insert; to put in (such that there is a snug fit); to button; to put on (something that envelops, e.g. gloves, ring)Usually written using kana alone
- She wore a diamond ring on her left third finger.
2. to have sex; to fuckColloquialism
- Even if we don't get lucky on the first try we can just keep fucking till I get pregnant.
3. to pigeonhole (into a particular category)
4. to place a ring-shaped object around something (esp. one that restricts freedom, such as handcuffs)
5. to entrap; to set someone up (e.g. frame them for a crime, etc.)
- I was nicely framed.
填める 【はめる】、篏める 【はめる】、塡める 【はめる】
填める: Out-dated kanji. 篏める: Out-dated kanji. 塡める: Out-dated kanji.
1. to float
- う 。
- Then she was floating on her back.
2. to become merry; to be cheerfulSee also 浮かぬ顔
3. to become loose; to become unsteady
4. to feel out of it; to be cut off (e.g. from those around you); to feel out of placeColloquialism
- う 。
- Being at the concert hall full of young kids made an old duffer like me feel out of tune.
5. to be frivolous; to be uncertain
6. to have (time, money, etc.) left over; to be saved (e.g. money)
7. to have no basis; to be unreliable
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. gum; rubberUsually written using kana alone, From Dutch; Flemish “gom”
- すりへ 。
- Tires wear down because of friction between the rubber and the road surface.
2. eraserAbbreviation, Usually written using kana alone, See also 消しゴム
3. condomColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone
護謨: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 護謨: Ateji (phonetic) reading.