Words — 1454 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. skillful; skilled; proficient; good (at); adept; cleverAntonym: 下手 へた
- Do you play basketball well?
上手 【じょうて】、上手 【じょうしゅ】
じょうて: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. じょうしゅ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to ascend; to go up; to climb
- You cannot climb!
2. to ascend (as a natural process, e.g. the Sun); to riseusu. 昇る
- The sun was coming up then.
3. to go to (the capital)
4. to be promoted
5. to add up to
- The loss adds up to more than one million dollars.
6. to advance (in price)
- Prices are rising.
7. to swim up (a river); to sail up
- They rowed up the river.
8. to come up (on the agenda)
- こうもく （
- ぎろん ）
- つづ 。
- Let's proceed with the items on the agenda.
登る 【のぼる】、昇る 【のぼる】、陞る 【のぼる】
陞る: Out-dated kanji.
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. coat; tunic; jacket; outer garment
上衣 【うわぎ】、表着 【うわぎ】、上衣 【じょうい】
1. above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
- It's in the overhead compartment.
2. top; summit; head (e.g. of a staircase)
- If you stand on this stool, you can reach the top of the closet.
- Are there any pens on the desk?
4. before; previous
5. superiority; one's superior; one's elder
6. on top of that; besides; what's more; not only ... butfollowing a verb or adjective
- つよ 。
- It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
7. upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)following a verb or noun
- They acted immediately by agreement.
8. matters concerning ...; as concerns ...
9. since (i.e. "for that reason")as ～上は
10. honorable; venerableHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 父上, suffix indicating higher social standing than the speaker
11. place of one's superior (e.g. the throne)Archaism
12. emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyoArchaism
13. noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)Archaism
1. not less than; ... and more; ... and upwards
- Children of six and above should attend school.
2. beyond ... (e.g. one's means); further (e.g. nothing further to say); more than ... (e.g. cannot pay more than that)
- A further reduction would make us go into the red.
3. above-mentioned; foregoing
- As shown above, it is possible to obtain ample profit and customers with truly simple know-how that anyone can do!
4. since ...; seeing that ...
- He realizes that public officials are human, and that as human beings they are capable of misjudgement.
5. this is all; that is the end; the end
- Is that all?
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to say; to tell; to state; to express; to offer; to extend (greetings, congratulations, etc.)Humble (kenjougo)
- I can never thank you enough.
2. to doHumble (kenjougo)
申上げる 【もうしあげる】、申しあげる 【もうしあげる】
1. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
召しあがる 【めしあがる】、召上がる 【めしあがる】、召し上る 【めしあがる】
1. to give; to offerHumble (kenjougo)
- "Can I help you?" "No, thank you. I'm just looking around."
2. to lift up; to hold up; to raiseHumble (kenjougo)
- さしあ 。
- He held the trophy up high.
差上げる 【さしあげる】、さし上げる 【さしあげる】
差上げる: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. ascent; climbing; ascending (path); climb
- The road ascends gently here.
2. up-train; train heading toward the starting point of its routeOnly applies to 上り, See also 上り列車
3. upbound (esp. toward Tokyo)
登り 【のぼり】、昇り 【のぼり】
1. to stand up; to get up
2. to rise
3. to recover
4. to take action; to start
5. to make the initial chargeSumo term
6. to start up; to boot upComputer terminology
立上がる 【たちあがる】、起ち上がる 【たちあがる】、立ちあがる 【たちあがる】
1. to pick up
- とりあ 。
- She picked up one of the glass vases.
2. to adopt (e.g. a proposal); to accept; to take up (a topic, complaint, etc.); to listen to; to deal with; to feature
- とりあ 。
- All the papers featured the case.
3. to take away; to confiscate; to deprive (someone) of; to revoke
- とりあ 。
- He had his license taken away because of reckless driving.
4. to deliver (a baby)
5. to collect (taxes)
取りあげる 【とりあげる】、取上げる 【とりあげる】、採り上げる 【とりあげる】、とり上げる 【とりあげる】、採りあげる 【とりあげる】、採上げる 【とりあげる】
1. superior; first-class; excellent; top quality
- Why have you kept such an excellent wine back till now?
2. (that's) just fine!; bring it on!
1. skillful; skilful; clever; expert; wise; successfulUsually written using kana alone, esp. 上手い,巧い
- She's very good at tennis, but she's not much of a swimmer.
2. delicious; appetizing; appetising; tastyUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い,美味い,甘い
- That place's food is great, and their prices are good, but the fly in the ointment is their terrible location.
3. fortunate; splendid; promisingUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い
- That's too good a story to be true.
美味い 【うまい】、旨い 【うまい】、巧い 【うまい】、甘い 【うまい】、美い 【うまい】
1. to elevate; to raise; to lift up
2. to flatter; to extol; to praise to the sky