Words — 644 found
1. to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)呑む often means swallowing whole, gulping, etc.
- Must I take this medicine?
2. to smoke (tobacco)See also 喫む, also written 喫む
3. to engulf; to overwhelm
4. to keep down; to suppress
5. to accept (e.g. demand, condition)
6. to make light of; to conceal
7. DrinkingDrinking is the act of ingesting water or other drinks th... Read more
呑む 【のむ】、飮む 【のむ】
飮む: Out-dated kanji.
1. to read
2. to countSee also さばを読む, now mostly used in idioms
3. to guess; to predict; to read (someone's thoughts); to see (e.g. into someone's heart); to divine
1. to request; to beg; to ask
- May I request a favour of you?
2. to call; to order; to reserve
- とど 。
- I'm still waiting for my order.
3. to entrust to
- Take care of Mr. Tanaka for me!
4. to rely onesp. 恃む
5. please; please doColloquialism
恃む 【たのむ】、憑む 【たのむ】
1. to be absent; to take a day off
- やす 。
- He often absents himself from meetings.
2. to rest; to have a break
- やす 。
- He rested for a while.
3. to go to bed; to (lie down to) sleep; to turn in; to retire
- やす 。
- Father is still in bed.
4. to stop doing some ongoing activity for a time; to suspend business
- The enemy attack ceased at dawn.
1. to enjoy (oneself)
愉しむ 【たのしむ】、楽む 【たのしむ】
楽む: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to advance; to go forward
2. to precede; to go ahead (of)
3. to make progress; to improve
4. to deepen; to heighten
5. to be fast (of a clock); to be ahead
6. to do of one's own free willSee also 進んで
1. to steal
1. to step on; to tread on; to trample on
- The man did not so much as apologize for stepping on my foot.
2. to set foot on (e.g. foreign soil); to stand on; to visit
3. to experience; to undergo
- Her first appearance on the stage was in 1969.
4. to follow (rules, principles, etc.); to go through (e.g. formalities); to complete
- No matter what you do, you must follow the correct order.
5. to estimate; to guess; to judge; to value; to appraise
- I had expected stronger resistance from the enemy but if anything there are less of them as we advance to the centre... Don't you think that's strange?
6. to rhymeSee also 韻を踏む
7. to succeed to (e.g. the throne)
履む 【ふむ】、践む 【ふむ】
1. to cease; to stop; to be over
已む 【やむ】、罷む 【やむ】
1. to finish; to end; to be completed
- す 。
- We got through the work just before ten.
2. to merely result in something less severe than expected
- す 。
- However he wasn't seriously hurt and got away with light bruising.
3. to feel at ease
4. to feel unease or guilt for troubling someone; to be sorryin the negative
濟む: Out-dated kanji.
1. to be crowded; to be packed
- The roads are very crowded at this time of the day.
2. to be complexSee also 手の込んだ
3. to go into; to put into; to remain (seated); to be plunged into (silence); to do thoroughlyOnly applies to 込む
4. to do intentlyOnly applies to 込む
5. to continue in the same stateOnly applies to 込む
混む 【こむ】、籠む 【こむ】、篭む 【こむ】
籠む: Irregular kanji usage. 篭む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to bite
- Don't bite your nails.
2. to chew; to gnaw; to masticate
- Does it hurt when you chew?
3. to fumble one's words (esp. during a play, broadcast, etc.); to falter with one's words; to stutter; to stammer
4. to crash against (e.g. of waves); to break onto (shore)
5. to engage (of cogs, zippers, etc.); to mesh; to fit together
6. to be involved inSee also 一枚噛む
7. to convince; to persuadeArchaism, used by Edo period prostitutes
咬む 【かむ】、嚙む 【かむ】、嚼む 【かむ】
1. to desire
2. to wish for; to expect
3. to see; to command (a view of)
1. to like; to prefer
1. to surround; to encircle; to enclose; to fence; to wall in
2. to besiege; to lay siege to
3. to play (go, shogi, etc.)
かごむ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to cross (legs or arms); to link (arms)
2. to put together; to construct; to assemble; to produce (e.g. TV program)
3. to braid; to plait
4. to grapple; to wrestle
5. to unite; to join; to link up; to form an alliance
6. to set (e.g. type)
7. to issue (e.g. money order)
1. to be worried; to be troubled
1. to be sad; to mourn for; to regret
1. to seize; to catch; to grasp; to grip; to grab; to clutch; to hold; to catch hold of; to lay one's hands onUsually written using kana alone
2. to obtain; to acquire; to get; to win; to captureUsually written using kana alone
3. to understand; to grasp; to comprehendUsually written using kana alone
摑む 【つかむ】、攫む 【つかむ】、把む 【つかむ】、捉む 【つかむ】