Words — 955 found
1. to hear
- You can hear English on Channel 1, and Japanese on Channel 7.
2. to listen (e.g. to music)esp. 聴く
- "Did you hear the lecture in that class yesterday?" asked the student.
3. to ask; to enquire; to query聴く is used in legal and official contexts
4. to hear about; to hear of; to learn of
5. to follow (advice, order, etc.); to obey; to listen to; to comply with
6. to hear (e.g. a plea); to grant (a request); to accept (e.g. an argument); to give consideration to
7. to smell (esp. incense); to sample (a fragrance)See also 香を聞く
8. to taste (alcohol); to tryalso 利く
1. to write; to compose; to pen
2. to draw; to paintSee also 描く かく
1. to put; to place
- Lay it on the table.
2. to leave (behind)
- As it happens, I have left the camera at home.
3. to establish (an organization, a facility, a position, etc.); to set up
4. to appoint (someone to a certain position); to hire; to employ
5. to place (one's trust, one's faith, etc.); to bear (in mind, etc.)
6. to put down a tool (e.g. a pen) hence stopping what one is doing with that tool
7. to take in (boarders, etc.); to provide lodging in one's house
8. to separate spatially or temporally
9. to do something in advanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- She always keeps her room clean.
10. to leave something in a certain state; to keep something in a certain stateUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to work; to labor; to labour
- はたら 。
- He worked more than five hours on end.
2. to function; to operate; to be effective; to work (i.e. ... works); to come into play
- はたら 。
- The switch didn't work on time.
3. to commit (e.g. a crime); to perpetrate; to do; to act; to practise; to practice
4. to be conjugatedlinguistics terminology
1. to arrive at; to reach
- It will be late autumn when you get to London.
2. to sit on; to sit at (e.g. the table)See also 席に着く
- Go to your respective seats.
1. to blow (of the wind)
- ふ 。
- There was a strong wind that day.
2. to blow (one's breath); to breathe out; to blow on (hot tea, candles, etc.); to puff
- ふ 。
- Rose was blowing bubbles.
3. to play (a wind instrument); to blow (a whistle, trumpet, etc.); to whistle (a tune)
- Ted likes playing the trumpet.
4. to emit (smoke, fire, etc.); to spout; to spew; to puff outSee also 噴く
5. to sprout; to put forth (buds)
- The trees are shooting out buds.
6. to appear (on the surface); to form; to be coated with (powder, rust, etc.)
7. to burst out laughing; to burst into laughterSlang, See also 吹き出す
8. to brag; to talk big
9. to smelt; to mint
1. to pull; to tug; to lead (e.g. a horse)
- ひ 。
- The curtains were drawn slowly.
3. to draw back (e.g. one's hand); to draw in (one's chin, stomach, etc.); to pull in
- Obviously a normal woman would lose interest if she saw a book like that!
4. to draw (a card, mahjong tile, etc.)
- The card you drew was a red, wasn't it?
5. to draw (a line, plan, etc.)See also 図面を引く
- Draw a line from A to B.
6. to catch (a cold)See also 風邪を引く
- I had a bad cold, and to make matters worse, it began snowing.
7. to play (a stringed or keyboard instrument)See also 弾く ひく
- John can't play the guitar.
8. to look up (in a dictionary, phone book, etc.); to consult; to checkSee also 辞書を引く
- Look up the word in your dictionary.
9. to haul; to pull (vehicles)esp. 牽く
- み 。
- I saw a horse pulling a cart.
10. to subtract; to deduct
- のこ 。
- Two from ten leaves eight.
11. to recede; to ebb; to fade
- How many days will it take until the swelling goes down?
12. to be descend from; to inherit (a characteristic)
- ひ 。
- The writer was descended from the Greek royal family.
13. to quote; to cite; to raise (as evidence)
- Insofar as possible, our examples will be drawn from English.
14. to lay on (electricity, gas, etc.); to install (e.g. a telephone); to supply (e.g. water)
- ひ 。
- A submarine cable was laid between the two countries.
15. to hold (e.g. a note)
16. to apply (e.g. lipstick); to oil (e.g. a pan); to wax (e.g. a floor)
17. to move back; to draw back; to recedeSee also 退く ひく
18. to lessen; to subside; to ebb; to go down (e.g. of swelling)See also 退く ひく
19. to resign; to retire; to quitSee also 退く ひく
曳く 【ひく】、牽く 【ひく】
1. to bloom; to flower; to blossom; to open
1. to polish; to shine; to brush (e.g. teeth); to grind (e.g. lens)
- This metal burnishes well.
2. to refine (e.g. a skill); to improve; to cultivate
- Nothing could hinder Kate from using all her energy to polish her performances.
研く 【みがく】、琢く 【みがく】
1. to make sound (of an animal); to call; to cry; to whine; to sing; to chirp
- What sound does a sheep make?
2. to make a meld call (e.g. pung, kong)Mahjong term, Only applies to 鳴く
1. to be surprised; to be astonished
愕く 【おどろく】、駭く 【おどろく】
1. to open; to undo; to unseal; to unpack
- せんしゅう 、
- ひら 。
- We gave a ball last week.
2. to bloom; to unfold; to spread out
- はじ 。
- Little by little, the buds on the rosebush in my garden begin to open.
3. to open (for business, e.g. in the morning)
4. to be wide (gap, etc.); to widen
5. to hold (meeting, party, etc.); to give; to open
6. to found (nation, dynasty, sect, etc.); to open (a new business); to set up; to establish; to start
7. to open (ports, borders, etc.)
8. to open (an account)
9. to open up (new land, path, etc.); to clear; to developSee also 拓く
10. to open (a file, etc.)Computer terminology
11. to extract (root); to reduce (equation)Mathematics
12. to cut open (fish)Food term, as 魚を開く
13. to change (kanji into hiragana)
14. to flare (e.g. skirt)
15. to slacken (into a poor posture)Sports term, as 体が開く, 肩が開く, etc.
1. to cry; to weep; to sob; to howl
哭く: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to move; to stir; to shift; to shake; to swing
- かん 。
- I felt something move in the house.
2. to operate; to run; to go; to work
- I should sell it while it still runs.
3. to make a move; to take action; to act; to go into action
4. to be touched; to be influenced
5. to change; to vary; to fluctuate; to waversometimes prenom. as 動かぬ, 動かない, etc. to mean "certain"
6. to be transferred
1. to continue; to last; to go on
- How long will this cold weather go on?
2. to continue (without a break); to be unbroken
- There was a continuous line of cars.
3. to occur again and again
- つづ 。
- There have been a lot of airplane accidents recently.
4. to lead to; to connect to; to adjoin
- せま 。
- The road which leads to the hotel is narrow.
5. to come after; to follow; to succeed; to rank next to
6. to hold out; to keep; to last
1. to burn
- Could you cook this meat a little more?
2. to roast; to broil; to grill; to bake; to toast; to barbecue
- I'd like two prints of each.
3. to heat; to heat up
- おも 。
- I am going to try to get a good tan.
4. to make (charcoal, pottery, bricks, etc.); to bake; to fire; to burn
- I hear that you can burn CDs with Windows XP; could you tell me a website that explains the procedures involved?
5. to tan (i.e. suntan); to burnSee also 灼く やく
6. to print (a photo); to burn (an optical disc)
7. to be jealous of; to be envious of; to envySee also 妬く やく
燬く 【やく】、焚く 【やく】
燬く: Out-dated kanji. 焚く: Out-dated kanji.
1. to get dry
1. to grow hot (e.g. water); to boil
- わ 。
- The kettle is boiling.
2. to get excited (at); to erupt (in applause, cheering, etc.); to be in a ferment; to take place energetically
- わ 。
- All the industries in the city are booming.
3. to ferment
4. to melt (of metal)