Words — 205 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. older sister; elder sister
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. hut; cabin; shed; (animal) pen
2. small theatre (theater); temporary playhouse; circus tent; boothOnly applies to こや
3. one's own houseHumble (kenjougo), Colloquialism, esp. しょうおく
4. Hut (dwelling)A hut is a temporary shelter.
1. older brother; elder brother
1. younger brother; little brother; kid brother
- とりちが 。
- He mistook me for my younger brother.
2. brother-in-law (spouse's younger brother or younger sister's husband)Only applies to おとうと, See also 義弟
3. pupil; apprenticeArchaism, Only applies to てい
1. before oneself; in front of one; nearby
- The glass fronted building before you is the rose garden. It's a greenhouse so you will always be able to appreciate the roses.
2. a bit before reaching (a location); this side (of a location)
- Please let me off on this side of that traffic light.
3. one's standpoint; one's appearance; face; honour
- てまえ 、
- Having boasted how sure his hunches were, he was forced to eat his hat when he guessed wrong.
4. skill; dexterity; artistry; ingenuity
5. tea-ceremony proceduresSee also 点前 てまえ
6. I; meHumble (kenjougo)
7. youMale term or language, to one's inferior
8. Lead (leg)Lead refers to which set of legs, left or right, leads or... Read more
1. feeling; sensation; mood; state of mind
2. preparedness; readiness; attitude
3. thought; sentiment; consideration; solicitude; gratitudeHumble (kenjougo)
4. slightly; a bit; a little
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to doHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone
1. to say; to tell; to state; to express; to offer; to extend (greetings, congratulations, etc.)Humble (kenjougo)
- I can never thank you enough.
2. to doHumble (kenjougo)
申上げる 【もうしあげる】、申しあげる 【もうしあげる】
1. to say; to be calledHumble (kenjougo)
2. to doHumble (kenjougo), after a word beginning with お- or ご-
1. to go; to come; to callHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone
- I'll be with you in a few minutes.
2. to be defeated; to collapse; to die
- He was so vigorous in making love that his companion for the evening went down for the count.
3. to be annoyed; to be nonplussed
- I'm really confused.
4. to be madly in love
- ま 。
- Joe's nuts about the girl.
5. to visit (shrine, grave)See also 墓参り
1. to give; to offerHumble (kenjougo)
- "Can I help you?" "No, thank you. I'm just looking around."
2. to lift up; to hold up; to raiseHumble (kenjougo)
- さしあ 。
- He held the trophy up high.
差上げる 【さしあげる】、さし上げる 【さしあげる】
差上げる: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. seeing; looking atHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo)
拜見: Out-dated kanji.
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. honorific/polite/humble prefixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Polite (teineigo), Humble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 御 お, usu. before a term with an on-yomi reading
2. honorific suffixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), after a noun indicating a person
1. to receive; to get; to accept; to take; to buyHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う
- Thank you for the time you spent with me during my visit to Atlanta.
2. to eat; to drinkHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone
- いただ 」
- "Will you have some more coffee?" "No, thanks. I've had enough."
3. to be crowned with; to wear (on one's head); to have (on top)Usually written using kana alone, orig. meaning
4. to have (as one's leader); to live under (a ruler); to install (a president)Usually written using kana alone
5. to get somebody to do somethingHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う もらう, follows a verb in "-te" form
1. to ask; to inquire; to hear; to be toldHumble (kenjougo)
- にち （
- げつようび ）
- ごぜん １０
- This is to confirm the appointment we made to meet at your office at 10:00 am on Monday, February 27th.
2. to implore (a god for an oracle); to seek direction (from your superior)
3. to visitHumble (kenjougo)
4. to speak to (a large crowd at a theatre, etc.)from 御機嫌を伺う
1. receiving; reception; getting; being givenHumble (kenjougo)
- Don't scrape your chair on the floor.
2. eating; drinking; havingHumble (kenjougo)
- I'll take these roses.
3. please; please do for meFamiliar language, Female term or language, Usually written using kana alone, also used after -te form of verb
- We plan to elicit opinions from the public.
頂だい 【ちょうだい】、頂載 【ちょうだい】
頂載: Irregular kanji usage.
Details ▸More Words >