Words — 396 found
1. to return; to come home; to go home; to go backSee also 返る
- かえ 。
- Lover, come back to me.
2. to leaveof a guest, customer, etc.
- はじ 。
- After 11 o'clock the guests began to leave by twos and threes.
3. to get home; to get to home plateBaseball term
還る 【かえる】、歸る 【かえる】
歸る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to play; to enjoy oneself; to have a good time
- あそ 。
- There were two children playing on the street.
2. to mess about (with alcohol, gambling, philandery, etc.)
3. to be idle; to do nothing; to be unused
- あそ 。
- The machine is lying idle.
4. to go to (for pleasure or for study)as 〜に遊ぶ
5. to intentionally throw a ball to lower the batter's concentrationBaseball term
あすぶ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. opposite side; bottom; other side; side hidden from view; undersurface; reverse sideAntonym: 表 おもて
- There's gum stuck to the back of my shoe.
2. rear; back; behind
- There was a large garden behind the house.
3. lining; inside
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
4. in the shadows; behind the scenes; offstage; behind (someone's) back
- He can pull strings for you.
5. more (to something than meets the eye); hidden side (e.g. of one's personality); unknown circumstances; different side
6. proofSee also 裏付け
7. opposite (of a prediction, common sense, etc.); contrarySee also 裏をかく
8. inverse (of a hypothesis, etc.)
9. bottom (of an inning); last half (of an inning)Baseball term, Antonym: 表 おもて
1. surfaceAntonym: 裏
2. face (i.e. the visible side of an object)
- みわ 。
- I cannot tell which is the right side of this paper.
3. front (of a building, etc.); obverse side (i.e. "head") of a coin
- I don't understand the problem; I could make neither head nor tail of it.
4. outside; exterior
- けんとう 。
- I don't know what kind of creature is making such a terrible noise outside tonight.
- あらわ 。
- An inner defect never fails to express itself outwardly.
7. first half (of an inning); top (of an inning)Baseball term, Antonym: 裏 うら
8. cover (for tatami mats, etc.)
9. foregroundComputer terminology
1. putting money aside; savings; deposit (e.g. in a bank)
2. accumulated surplus of wins; wins in the bankBaseball term
1. to pull; to draw; to pull tight
- の 。
- This material stretches easily.
2. to string (lines); to run (cable); to stretch
3. to pull towards oneself (e.g. someone's sleeve)
4. to drag; to haul; to tow
5. to lead (e.g. one's followers)
6. to take someone somewhere (e.g. a suspect to the police)
7. to tempt into joining; to strongly invite to join
8. to delay; to prolong
9. to lengthen the pronunciation (of a word)
10. to quote; to cite; to reference
11. to pull the ballBaseball term
12. to wear; to put on
引っぱる 【ひっぱる】、引張る 【ひっぱる】
1. to be hit; to strikeAntonym: 外す
- あ 。
- He fired but missed.
2. to touch; to be in contact; to be affixed
3. to be equivalent to; to be applicable; to apply to
- The cherry blossom is to Japan what the rose is to England.
4. to be right on the money (of a prediction, criticism, etc.)
- あ 。
- Strange to say, his prediction has come true.
5. to be selected (in a lottery, etc.); to win
- あ 。
- I got a camera in a lottery.
6. to be successful; to go well; to be a hit
7. to face; to confront
8. to lie (in the direction of)
9. to undertake; to be assigned
10. to be stricken (by food poisoning, heat, etc.); to be afflicted
- He was poisoned by the globefish he ate.
11. to be called on (e.g. by a teacher)
12. to treat (esp. harshly); to lash out at
13. to be unnecessaryas 〜するには当たらない, etc.
14. to be hitting well; to be on a hitting streakBaseball term, usu. as 当たっている
15. to feel a bite (in fishing)
16. (of fruit, etc.) to be bruised; to spoil
17. to feel (something) out; to probe into; to check (i.e. by comparison)
18. to shave
19. to be a relative of a person; to be a ... in relation to ...; to stand in a relationshipas 〜の〜に当たる
当る 【あたる】、中る 【あたる】、中たる 【あたる】
1. to be packed (with); to be full (space, schedule, etc.)
- My throat feels clogged up.
2. to be blocked (road, pipe, nose, etc.); to be clogged; to be plugged upSee also 鼻が詰まる
3. to shorten (width, interval, etc.); to shrink (shirt, word form, etc.); to narrow
5. to end up; to be settledSee also 詰まる所 つまるところ
6. to become a geminate consonantSee also 促音 そくおん
7. to hit the ball near the handle of the batBaseball term
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. blow; shock; strike; damage
- う 。
- I took such a hammering over recent months.
2. battingBaseball term
1. to shake; to jolt; to rock; to swing; to sway
- とつぜん 、
- The earthquake suddenly shook the buildings.
2. to shake (e.g. the political world); to disturb; to shock; to upset
- ゆさぶ 。
- A strong yen is shaking the economy.
3. to put off a batter (by varying one's type of pitch)Baseball term
1. to miss; to overlook; to fail to notice
2. to let pass (a matter); to overlook (e.g. a wrongdoing); to turn a blind eye to
3. to pass up (e.g. an opportunity)
4. to let (a good ball) go byBaseball term
見のがす 【みのがす】、見遁す 【みのがす】、見逃がす 【みのがす】
見逃がす: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to hang (something) on (something); to throw on (clothes)
- で 。
- She threw on a coat and went.
2. to hook; to catch; to trap; to ensnare
- I caught my sweater on that nail.
3. to cheat; to evade payment; to jump a bill
4. to drink (alcohol)
5. to splash someone (with)See also ぶっ掛ける
- He dashed us with water.
6. to hit the ball off the end of the batBaseball term
引っかける 【ひっかける】、引っ懸ける 【ひっかける】
1. overcoatAbbreviation, See also オーバーコート
- Do you mean to do without an overcoat?
2. exceeding; going over; going beyond
- This bag is 4 kilograms overweight.
3. exaggerated; over the top; overdrawn; overreaction
4. over parSports term, Abbreviation, See also オーバーパー
5. overexposureAntonym: アンダー
6. Oba (Canada)
- That football is made of genuine leather.
2. ball (pitch that falls outside of the strike zone)Baseball term
- The batter has two balls and two strikes on him.
- We have no salad in the bowl.
4. board (cardboard, pasteboard, etc.)Abbreviation, See also ボール紙
5. BallA ball is a round, usually spherical but sometimes ovoid,... Read more
1. knock; knocking
- Someone knocked on the door.
2. fungo hitting; hitting balls for fielding practiceBaseball term
- とおりぬ 。
- The train traversed a tunnel.
2. to tunnel (through a potential barrier)Physics terminology
3. letting a grounder go through one's legsBaseball term
4. TunnelA tunnel is an underground passageway, completely enclose... Read more
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. diamond (mineral, gemstone)
2. diamond; infieldBaseball term
3. diamond (card suit)
4. DiamondIn mineralogy, diamond (from the ancient Greek αδάμας – a... Read more
Common word Links
2. base runnerBaseball term
3. BaserunningIn baseball, baserunning is the act of running around the... Read more