Words — 125 found
1. opposite side; bottom; other side; side hidden from view; undersurface; reverse sideAntonym: 表 おもて
- There's gum stuck to the back of my shoe.
2. rear; back; behind
- There was a large garden behind the house.
3. lining; inside
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
4. in the shadows; behind the scenes; offstage; behind (someone's) back
- He can pull strings for you.
5. more (to something than meets the eye); hidden side (e.g. of one's personality); unknown circumstances; different side
6. proofSee also 裏付け
7. opposite (of a prediction, common sense, etc.); contrarySee also 裏をかく
8. inverse (of a hypothesis, etc.)
9. bottom (of an inning); last half (of an inning)Baseball term, Antonym: 表 おもて
1. to betray; to turn traitor to; to double-cross
1. backdoor; rear entrance
2. unauthorized; illicit; illegalSee also 裏口入学 うらぐちにゅうがく
1. to turn inside out; to turn the other way; to turn (something) over
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. inside out; upside down
2. flip side; opposite; contrary; reverse
- He got paid under the table.
2. secret fund; slush fund; money for bribery
3. Slush fundA slush fund, colloquially, is an auxiliary monetary acco... Read more
1. betrayer; traitor; turncoat; informer
1. support (e.g. for an argument); backing; proof; evidence; corroboration; substantiation; guarantee; security
裏づけ 【うらづけ】、裏付 【うらづけ】
裏付: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. someone working behind-the-scenes; scene shifterSee also 表方
2. lady consort (to a high personage)
1. back (side); reverse; other side
2. inside; background; dark side (e.g. of society); behind the scenes; beneath the surface
裏面 【りめん】、裡面 【りめん】
1. reverse side
2. opposite (of the expected)See also 裏目に出る
3. purl stitch (knitting)
1. side street (often parallel to a main street); back street; alley; alleyway
裏通り 【うらとおり】、裏通 【うらどおり】、裏通 【うらとおり】
うらとおり: Irregular kana usage. 裏通: Irregular okurigana usage. うらとおり: Irregular kana usage. 裏通: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. back and front; inside and outside; both sides
2. inside out (e.g. clothing)
3. double-dealing; two faces (cf. two-faced)See also 表裏
- You are two-faced.
4. outward appearance and actual condition; inner workings
1. to support (a theory, claim, etc.); to back up; to substantiate; to prove