Words — 41 found
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (engine, radio, etc.); to set (dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (DVD, song, etc.); to use (device, implement, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (somebody inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
1. to go out (e.g. on an excursion or outing); to leave; to depart; to start; to set out
2. to be about to leave; to be just going out
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
懸かる 【かかる】、掛る 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
1. chance; start; cue; excuse; motive; impetus; occasionUsually written using kana alone
切掛け 【きっかけ】、切っかけ 【きっかけ】、切掛 【きっかけ】、切っ掛 【きっかけ】、切かけ 【きっかけ】、キッカケ
1. to address (someone); to accost a person; to talk (to someone)
2. to begin to talk; to start a conversation
1. to chase; to run after; to pursueSee also 追っ掛ける
追い掛ける 【おいかける】、追い駆ける 【おいかける】、追掛ける 【おいかける】
1. to be caught in; to be stuck in
2. to stop by; to drop in for a short visit; to be delayed; to take time
3. to get mixed up in (trouble); to get entangled in (a problem); to be involved with
4. to fall for (a trick); to be deceived; to be cheated
5. to be on one's mind; to worry one; to be bothered by; to feel uneasy
6. to be obstructed; to be hindered
7. to splash
引っ掛かる 【ひっかかる】、引っ掛る 【ひっかかる】
1. unexpected; contrary to expectations; by chance; casual
思い掛けない 【おもいがけない】、思い掛け無い 【おもいがけない】
1. to sit (down)
腰かける 【こしかける】、腰掛る 【こしかける】
腰掛る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. seat; bench
2. temporary job while looking for a better job or until one marriesColloquialism
腰掛 【こしかけ】、腰かけ 【こしかけ】
掛算 【かけざん】、かけ算 【かけざん】
1. clue; lead; key; trail; scent; track
- There was no clue as to the identity of the murderer.
2. handhold; hold
- The downclimb here is also dangerous as there are no handholds.
手掛かり 【てがかり】、手掛り 【てがかり】、手懸かり 【てがかり】、手懸り 【てがかり】
Common word JLPT N1 Links
2. money owed on an account; bill
4. proportion (of wholesale price, as tenths of list price)
5. in the midst ofafter a -masu stem
6. rest; rack; hangerafter a noun
懸け 【かけ】、掛 【かけ】、懸 【かけ】
1. to start; to begin; to commence
2. to challenge; to pick (a fight); to make (war); to draw (a reaction) from
3. to set (traps); to plant (explosives); to lay (mines)
4. to make a meld callMahjong, See also 鳴く
仕かける 【しかける】、し掛ける 【しかける】
1. to handle; to manage; to deal with; to work with; to have experience with
2. to rear; to look after
手掛ける 【てがける】、手懸ける 【てがける】
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. device; contrivance; mechanism; gadget
2. trick; trap; calculated manipulation; gambit
3. (small) scale; half finished
4. commencement; initiation
5. set up; laying out; preparation
6. challenge; attack
1. to keep in mind; to bear in mind; to try; to aim to do; to endeavor; to endeavour
心掛ける 【こころがける】、心懸ける 【こころがける】
1. to hang (something) on (something); to throw on (clothes)
- で 。
- She threw on a coat and went.
2. to hook; to catch; to trap; to ensnare
- I caught my sweater on that nail.
3. to cheat; to evade payment; to jump a bill
4. to drink (alcohol)
5. to splash someone (with)See also ぶっ掛ける
- He dashed us with water.
6. to hit the ball off the end of the batBaseball
引っかける 【ひっかける】、引っ懸ける 【ひっかける】
1. to come near; to approach
- It began to rain as we came near the pass.
2. to be on the verge of; to be about to
- The negotiations are at a very delicate stage.
3. to overhang; to hang over
差しかかる 【さしかかる】、差し掛る 【さしかかる】