Words — 66 found
Common word JLPT N1 Links
2. money owed on an account; bill
4. proportion (of wholesale price, as tenths of list price)
5. in the midst ofafter a -masu stem
6. rest; rack; hangerafter a noun
懸け 【かけ】、掛 【かけ】、懸 【かけ】
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (engine, radio, etc.); to set (dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (DVD, song, etc.); to use (device, implement, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (somebody inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
掛算 【かけざん】、かけ算 【かけざん】
1. bargaining; haggling
- You would make a good diplomat.
2. tactics; strategy
- We have to be ready not only for a straightforward test of strength, but also for a struggle in which every strategy comes into play.
駆引き 【かけひき】、掛け引き 【かけひき】、懸引き 【かけひき】、かけ引き 【かけひき】、駈引 【かけひき】
駈引: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to be very far apart from; to be remote; to be quite different from
掛離れる 【かけはなれる】、懸離れる 【かけはなれる】、懸け離れる 【かけはなれる】、かけ離れる 【かけはなれる】
1. to negotiate (with someone about); to talk over (something with); to tackle someone (about); to haggle; to bargain
2. to throw on each other; to splash (water) on each other; to pour on each other
かけ合う 【かけあう】、掛けあう 【かけあう】、掛合う 【かけあう】、懸け合う 【かけあう】、懸合う 【かけあう】
1. fixed-term payment (usu. insurance)
2. stopping payment of installments (usu. insurance)usu. 〜にする
掛け捨て 【かけずて】、掛捨て 【かけすて】、掛捨て 【かけずて】
1. to call again; to call someone back
かけ直す 【かけなおす】、掛けなおす 【かけなおす】
1. hanging scroll
2. KakemonoA kakemono, more commonly referred to as a kakejiku, is a... Read more
1. shout (of encouragement, etc.); yell (used to time or encourage activity, e.g. "Heave ho!")
かけ声 【かけごえ】、掛声 【かけごえ】
1. inflated price (assigned in anticipation of being haggled down); overcharging
1. negotiations; bargaining
2. dialogue; duet
懸け合い 【かけあい】、掛合い 【かけあい】、懸合い 【かけあい】、懸合 【かけあい】、かけ合い 【かけあい】
懸合: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. replacement; substitution; rebuilding; changingUsually written using kana alone
掛け替え 【かけかえ】、掛け変え 【かけかえ】
1. latch; lock; sneck
- The barn door had been carelessly left unlatched.
2. joint of the jawArchaism
1. kakekotoba; pivot word; play on words (esp. in poetry); pun
2. KakekotobaA Kakekotoba or pivot word is a rhetorical device used in... Read more
掛け言葉 【かけことば】、懸詞 【かけことば】、掛け詞 【かけことば】、懸け詞 【かけことば】