Words — 720 found
1. point; tip; end; nozzle
- The point of the pencil has become dull.
2. head (of a line); front
3. first; before; ahead (of)
- でてい 。
- The taller of the two men went out first.
4. (the way) ahead; beyond
- い 。
- You cannot go any farther.
- You never can tell what'll happen in the future.
6. previous; prior; former; recent; last
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
8. rest (e.g. of a story); continuation; remaining part
- I'd like to know the rest of the story.
9. the other party
前 【さき】、先き 【さき】
先き: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. before oneself; in front of one; nearby
- The glass fronted building before you is the rose garden. It's a greenhouse so you will always be able to appreciate the roses.
2. a bit before reaching (a location); this side (of a location)
- Please let me off on this side of that traffic light.
3. one's standpoint; one's appearance; face; honour
- てまえ 、
- Having boasted how sure his hunches were, he was forced to eat his hat when he guessed wrong.
4. skill; dexterity; artistry; ingenuity
5. tea-ceremony proceduresSee also 点前 てまえ
6. I; meHumble (kenjougo) language
7. youMale term or language, to one's inferior
8. Lead (leg)Lead refers to which set of legs, left or right, leads or... Read more
1. condition; assumption; prerequisite; hypothesis
- You ought to think over whether the premise is valid or not.
2. intention; intent; aim; goal
- We are dating with a view to marriage.
3. premise (in logic)
4. PresuppositionIn the branch of linguistics known as pragmatics, a presu... Read more
1. ago; since; before; previous
已前: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. youFamiliar language, Male term or language, formerly honorific, now oft. derog. in ref. to an equal or inferior
- You shall be my daughter's husband.
2. presence (of a god, nobleman, etc.)Only applies to おまえ
お前 【おまい】、御前 【おまえ】、御前 【おまい】
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. natural; reasonable; obvious
- おも 。
- We took his success for granted.
2. usual; common; ordinary; commonplace; the norm
- You cannot solve this problem in an ordinary way.
当り前 【あたりまえ】、あたり前 【あたりまえ】、当りまえ 【あたりまえ】
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. front and rear; front and back; before and behind; back and forth
- ふ 。
- He shook his head back and forth.
2. before and after
3. around; about; approximatelyafter a quantity, age, time, etc.
- きかん ３０
- ねん 、
- りりつ ２％
- し 。
- Japan's ODA largely consists of concessionary yen credit repayable in 30 years, carrying an interest rate of 2% or so.
4. order; context
- Anastrophe, by switching around words, has the effect of emphasizing text.
6. just when; around the time of
7. inversion; reversion; getting out of order
8. co-occurring; happening at the same timeas 前後して
1. future; prospects; outlook
- Life lies in front of you.
2. journey ahead; distance yet to cover
1. face; official stance; public position or attitude (as opposed to private thoughts)See also 本音
- Although many pay lip service to the idea of affirmative action, in reality, very few minorities get hired.
2. ceremony for the erection of the framework of a houseOnly applies to 建前, Only applies to 建て前
建て前 【たてまえ】、立前 【たてまえ】、立て前 【たてまえ】
1. last (i.e. immediately preceding); previous; ex-; former
- The dismissal of foreign minister Tanaka is symbolic of the continuing political turmoil.
2. pre- (e.g. premodern)before the name of an era
3. beforeafter a noun
- とりだ 、
- お 。
- Before retiring he usually dumps the chicken feed from all his pockets onto the table.
4. before; earlierDated term, See also 前 まえ
1. in advance; beforehand; previously
前以て 【まえもって】、前以って 【まえもって】