Words — 689 found
1. previous; prior; former; first; earlier; some time ago; preceding
- This was he of whom I said, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me."
2. point (e.g. pencil); tip; end; nozzle
- か 。
- I can't write with this dull pencil.
3. head (of a line); front
4. ahead; the other side
- い 。
- You cannot go any farther.
5. the future; hereafter
- み 。
- We could see the summit of a mountain twenty miles away.
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
7. the other party
前 【さき】、先き 【さき】
先き: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. before oneself; in front of one; nearby
- Please let me off on this side of that traffic light.
2. a bit before reaching (a location); this side (of a location)
3. one's standpoint; one's appearance
5. youSee also 手前 てめえ
6. Lead (leg)Lead refers to which set of legs, left or right, leads or... Read more
1. condition; assumption; prerequisite; hypothesis
- You ought to think over whether the premise is valid or not.
2. intention; intent; aim; goal
- We are dating with a view to marriage.
3. premise (in logic)
4. PresuppositionIn the branch of linguistics known as pragmatics, a presu... Read more
1. ago; since; before; previous
已前: Out-dated kanji.
1. youFamiliar language, Male term or language, formerly honorific, now oft. derog. term referring to an equal or inferior
- You shall be my daughter's husband.
2. presence (of a god, nobleman, etc.)Only applies to おまえ
お前 【おまい】、お前 【おめー】、お前 【おめえ】、御前 【おまえ】、御前 【おまい】、御前 【おめー】、御前 【おめえ】
1. natural; reasonable; obvious
- おも 。
- We took his success for granted.
2. usual; common; ordinary; commonplace; the norm
- You cannot solve this problem in an ordinary way.
当り前 【あたりまえ】、あたり前 【あたりまえ】、当りまえ 【あたりまえ】
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. front and rear; front and back; before and behind; back and forth
- ふ 。
- He shook his head back and forth.
2. before and after
3. around; about; approximately
- きかん ３０
- ねん 、
- りりつ ２％
- し 。
- Japan's ODA largely consists of concessionary yen credit repayable in 30 years, carrying an interest rate of 2% or so.
4. order; context
- Anastrophe, by switching around words, has the effect of emphasizing text.
6. just when; around the time of
7. inversion; reversion; getting out of order
1. future; prospects; outlook
- Life lies in front of you.
2. journey ahead; distance yet to cover
1. face; official stance; public position or attitude (as opposed to private thoughts)Only applies to 建て前, Only applies to 建前, Only applies to 立て前, Only applies to 立前, Antonym: 本音
- Although many pay lip service to the idea of affirmative action, in reality, very few minorities get hired.
2. ceremony for the erection of the framework of a houseOnly applies to 建て前, Only applies to 建前
3. tea ceremony procedures; tea ceremony etiquetteOnly applies to 立て前, Only applies to 立前, Only applies to 点て前, Only applies to 点前
建前 【たてまえ】、立て前 【たてまえ】、立前 【たてまえ】、点て前 【たてまえ】、点前 【たてまえ】、点前 【てまえ】
1. the last (i.e. immediately preceding) (e.g. "the last mayor"); previous; one-time; former
2. pre- (e.g. "premodern")before the name of an era
3. before; earlierSee also 前 まえ
1. in advance; beforehand; previously
前以て 【まえもって】、前以って 【まえもって】