Words — 265 found
1. language; dialectSee also 言語
- い 。
- "One aspect of language is an intent to communicate," he says.
2. word; phrase; expression; term
- Words failed me.
3. speech; (manner of) speaking; (use of) language
- Don't be rough in speech.
4. words; remark; statement; comment
5. learning to speak; language acquisition
6. Ci (poetry)Ci is a kind of lyric Classical Chinese poetry using a se... Read more
詞 【ことば】、辞 【ことば】、言葉 【けとば】
けとば: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. colour; color; hue; tint; tinge; shade
- あ 。
- The color went beautifully with her hair.
2. complexion; skin colour; skin color
3. look (on one's face); expression
- う 。
- A look of contentment appeared on his face.
4. appearance; air; feeling
5. personality; character
6. tone (of one's voice, etc.); tune; sound; ring
7. love; lust; sensuality; love affairSee also 色仕掛け
8. lover; paramour
9. beauty; sexiness; physical appeal
10. kind; type; varietyalso written 種
11. ColorColor or colour is the visual perceptual property corresp... Read more
1. facial expression; countenance
2. look; appearance; expression (vocal, etc.)
3. Facial expressionA facial expression is one or more motions or positions o... Read more
1. section (i.e. of text); sentence; passage; paragraph
- He explained the literal meaning of the phrase.
- You can omit the preposition in this phrase.
3. verse (of 5 or 7 mora in Japanese poetry; of 4, 5, or 7 characters in Chinese poetry)
4. haiku; first 17 morae of a renga, etc.
5. maxim; saying; idiom; expression
6. PhraseIn everyday speech, a phrase may refer to any group of wo... Read more
1. equation; formula; expression
- The result of this experiment is obscured by the extra variables added in the formula.
- The company president's welcome was so long that we were squeezed for time in the second half of the ceremony.
- An accident prohibited his attending the ceremony.
4. enforcement regulations (of the ritsuryō)Archaism, See also 律令
- What did the announcement just say?
2. you-know-what; that thing
- くら 、
- "No, not so much. At most comparing sizes, telling dirty stories." "Sizes of what?" "Of 'that'."
3. whatsit; whachamacallit; what's-his-name; what's-her-name
4. penis; (one's) thing; dickColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, esp. ナニ
5. (not) at all; (not) in the slightestwith neg. sentence
- こしぬ ！
- What? You can't do it? You coward! Chicken!
6. what?; huh?indicates surprise
7. hey!; come on!indicates anger or irritability
8. oh, no (it's fine); why (it's nothing); oh (certainly not)used to dismiss someone's worries, concerns, etc.
1. to cut; to cut through; to perform (surgery)
- き 。
- 2. Cut the daikon into long sticks.
2. to sever (connections, ties)See also 縁を切る
3. to turn off (e.g. the light)
- Do you mind if I turn off the AC?
4. to terminate (e.g. a conversation); to hang up (the phone); to disconnectSee also 電話を切る
- "May I speak to Mr Smith?" "Will you hold the line?"
5. to punch (a ticket); to tear off (a stub)
6. to open (something sealed)
- Once you break the seal, you can't return the tape.
7. to start
- しんきいってん 、
- き 。
- I quit my job and moved so I could start off with a clean slate.
8. to set (a limit); to do (something) in less or within a certain time; to issue (cheques, vouchers, etc.)
9. to reduce; to decrease; to discountSee also 値切る
10. to shake off (water, etc.); to let drip-dry; to let drain
11. to cross; to traverse
12. to criticize sharply
13. to act decisively; to do (something noticeable); to go first; to make (certain facial expressions, in kabuki)
14. to turn (vehicle, steering wheel, etc.)
15. to curl (a ball); to bend; to cut
- Please shuffle the cards carefully.
16. to shuffle (cards)
17. to discard a tileMahjong
18. to dismiss; to sack; to let go; to expulse; to excommunicate
- Harry managed to swim across the river.
19. to dig (a groove); to cut (a stencil, on a mimeograph)
20. to trumpSee also 切り札
21. to cut (the connection between two groups) (in go)
22. to start a fire (with wood-wood friction or by striking a metal against stone)also written as 鑽る
23. to draw (a shape) in the air (with a sword, etc.)
24. to finish; to completeSee also 疲れきる, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. cool; refreshing
2. clear (e.g. eyes); bright
3. clear; distinct
4. composed (facial expression); unruffled; unconcernedSee also 涼しい顔 すずしいかお
5. pure; upright; innocentArchaism
1. to get cloudy; to cloud over; to become overcast
2. to cloud up; to fog up; to mist up; to become dim
3. to be gloomy; to be clouded (expression); to be downcast
4. to look slightly downward (of a noh mask; indicating sadness, grief, etc.)See also 照る てる, from 面曇る
1. honorific; term of respect; polite expression; honorific languageLinguistics
2. Honorific speech in JapaneseThe Japanese language has many honorifics, parts of speec... Read more
1. thanks; gratitudePolite (teineigo) language
2. manners; etiquettePolite (teineigo) language
3. bowPolite (teineigo) language
4. reward; giftPolite (teineigo) language
5. ceremony; ritualPolite (teineigo) language
御礼 【おれい】、御礼 【おんれい】
1. expression; presentation
- じつ シェイクスピア
- "There is a tide" is, in fact, from a passage in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.
2. representation; notationMathematics
1. complaint; grumbling; objection
- That doesn't give you grounds for complaining.
2. phrase; words; expression
- The phrase is meant to insult people.
- し 、
- If I had known about your illness, I would have visited you in the hospital.
2. get-well gifts; get-well lettersSee also 見舞い品
3. expression of sympathy; expression of concern; enquiry; inquirySee also お見舞い申し上げる
1. embodiment; manifestation; materialization; materialisation; expression; indication
表れ 【あらわれ】、現われ 【あらわれ】、表われ 【あらわれ】、顕れ 【あらわれ】
1. really; truly; entirely; completely; wholly; perfectly
- "She is lovely." "So she is."
3. good griefAbbreviation, Usually written using kana alone, See also 全くもう, expression of exasperation
1. shade; shadow
- Let's sit down in the shade of that tree.
2. behind (something); other side; back
- だれ ？
- Who is hiding behind the curtain?
3. background; behind the scenes; behind someone's back
- You should not speak ill of others behind their backs.
4. gloom (in someone's expression, nature, etc.); darkness
蔭 【かげ】、翳 【かげ】
1. thank you (for the meal just served); I receive (this meal)Usually written using kana alone, See also 頂く いただく
1. skillful; skilful; skilled; good; expert; clever (expression, trick, etc.); apt; appropriateUsually written using kana alone, esp. 上手い, 巧い
- She's very good at tennis, but she's not much of a swimmer.
2. delicious; tasty; good; niceUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い, 美味い, 甘い
- That place's food is great, and their prices are good, but the fly in the ointment is their terrible location.
3. good (deal, idea, etc.); profitable; promising; lucky; fortunate; successful; satisfactory; splendidUsually written using kana alone, esp. 旨い
- That's too good a story to be true.
美味い 【うまい】、旨い 【うまい】、巧い 【うまい】、甘い 【うまい】、美い 【うまい】
美い: Rarely-used kanji form.