Words — 1959 found
1. to talk; to speak; to converse; to chat
- はな 。
- John talked with his customer on the phone.
2. to tell; to explain; to narrate; to mention; to describe; to discuss
- Please tell me about your hobbies.
3. to speak (a language)
- はな 。
- English is spoken in Canada.
1. to take out; to get out
- You can withdraw some money out of the bank, if you need any.
2. to put out; to reveal; to show
- I want to remain anonymous in this.
3. to submit (e.g. thesis); to turn in
- Read over your paper before you hand it in.
4. to publish; to make publicSee also あぶり出す あぶりだす
- ひ （
- げつようび ）
- くだ 。
- We'll release the final agenda on the morning of Monday, January 20, so please reply quickly.
5. to send (e.g. letter)See also 手紙を出す
- Sending manuscript after manuscript paid off. A magazine finally published my work.
6. to produce (a sound); to start (fire)See also 声を出す
- だ 。
- The government issued the following statement.
7. to serve (food)
- だ 。
- They serve excellent food here.
8. ... out (e.g. to jump out, to carry out)See also 飛び出す とびだす, after the -masu stem of a verb
- How long have you had this pain?
9. to begin ...; to start to ...; to burst into ...See also 歌いだす うたいだす, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to return (something); to restore; to put backSee also 帰す かえす, esp. 返す
- I'll give you back the money tomorrow.
2. to turn over; to turn upside down; to overturn
3. to pay back; to retaliate; to reciprocateesp. 返す
- You bit the hand that fed you.
4. to respond (with); to retort; to reply; to say back
5. to do ... back (e.g. speak back, throw back)after the -masu stem of a verb
6. to do again; to do repeatedlyafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. to push; to pressOnly applies to 押す
- Could you press this button?
2. to apply pressure from above; to press downOnly applies to 押す, Only applies to 圧す
3. to stamp (i.e. a passport); to apply a sealOnly applies to 押す, Only applies to 捺す, See also 判を押す
- お 。
- The box bears the stamp of the manufacturer.
4. to affix (e.g. gold leaf)Only applies to 押す
5. to press (someone for something); to urge; to compel; to influenceOnly applies to 押す
6. to overwhelm; to overpower; to repressOnly applies to 押す, Only applies to 圧す
7. to push (events along); to advance (a plan)Only applies to 押す
8. to do in spite of ...; to do even though ...; to forceOnly applies to 押す
10. to be pressed for timeOnly applies to 押す
11. to advance troops; to attackOnly applies to 押す
12. (of light) to be diffused across an entire surfaceOnly applies to 押す
圧す 【おす】、捺す 【おす】
1. to ferry across (e.g. a river); to carry across; to traverse
- Please take me over to the other side.
2. to lay across; to build across
3. to hand over; to hand in; to pass; to give; to transfer
- Then, please give him this note. This is urgent.
1. to lend; to loan
- I need a bag. Will you lend me one?
2. to rent out; to hire out
- か 。
- They lent their house for the summer.
1. to lose (something); to mislayUsually written using kana alone
- She lost her new watch.
2. to get rid of; to eliminate; to removeUsually written using kana alone
- To get the nation's economy out of the red, more foreign aid had to be pumped in.
失くす: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to erase; to delete; to cross out
- You should cross out any word you don't need.
2. to turn off (power); to switch off
- わす 。
- Don't forget to turn the light off.
3. to extinguish; to put out
- Be sure to put out the fire before you leave.
4. to bump offSlang
- I have orders to waste you.
1. to shineSee also 射す
- He went on walking in the rain without an umbrella.
2. to be visible
- Expressions and smiles change like that just from applying rouge and lipstick.
3. to be tinged with
4. to rise (of water levels); to flow in
6. to hold up (an umbrella, etc.); to put up; to raise
7. to extend one's arm straight ahead (in dance)See also 指す
8. to insert; to put inSee also 挿す
9. to wear (a sword) in one's belt; to wear at one's side; to carry under one's armSee also 挿す
10. to insert one's arm under an opponent's armSumo
11. to pole (a boat)See also 刺す
12. to pour; to add (liquid); to serve (drinks)See also 注す
13. to put on (lipstick, etc.); to apply; to colour; to dye
14. to light (a fire); to burn
15. to shut; to close; to lock; to fastenSee also 鎖す さす
16. to stop in the midst of; to leave undoneSee also 止す さす, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to search for; to look for; to hunt for; to seekesp. 探す for something desired and 捜す for something lost
- さが 。
- I looked for a place in which to sleep.
2. to search (a house, pocket, etc.); to search through; to rummage in (e.g. a drawer); to fish around
- さが 。
- I searched the drawer for the key.
1. to recall; to remember; to recollect
思いだす 【おもいだす】、おもい出す 【おもいだす】、思出す 【おもいだす】
思出す: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to raise; to raise up; to set up; to pick up
2. to wake; to wake up; to waken; to awaken
3. to cause; to bring about; to lead to; to trigger; to give rise to; to create; to generate (e.g. heat, electricity); to produceSee also 熾す おこす
4. to start; to begin; to launch; to establish; to found; to set up; to openSee also 興す おこす
5. to plough; to plow; to till
6. to fall ill with
7. to transcribe; to write down (what is spoken)
8. to turn over (a card)
1. to doHumble (kenjougo) language, Usually written using kana alone
1. to drop; to lose; to let fall; to shed (light); to cast (one's gaze); to pour in (liquid); to leave behind
- お 。
- He dropped a vase.
2. to clean off (dirt, makeup, paint, etc.); to remove (e.g. stains or facial hair); to lose; to spend money at a certain place; to omit; to leave out; to secretly let escape
- ぬ 、
- お 。
- Tony took off his shirt and cleaned the piano with it.
3. to lose (a match); to reject (an applicant); to fail (a course); to defeat (in an election)
- お 。
- Last year, he failed two of his final examinations.
4. to lower (e.g. shoulders or voice); to lessen (e.g. production or body weight); to worsen (quality); to reduce (e.g. rank or popularity); to speak badly of; to make light of; to fall into straitened circumstances
- お 、
- はしりこ 。「
- We sped into the narrow track, hardly dropping any speed. "It's a short cut!" "Oi! It's a footpath!!"
5. to fall into (e.g. a dilemma or sin); to make one's own; to have one's bid accepted; to force surrender; to take (e.g. an enemy camp or castle); to forcefully convince; to press for a confession; to deal with
6. to download; to copy from a computer to another mediumComputing
- Are there any knacks, or good sites, for downloading Japanese software?
7. to make someone swoon (judo)Martial arts
8. to finish a story (e.g. with the punch line)
9. to finish (a period, e.g. of fasting)
1. to break; to destroy; to demolish
2. to wreck; to ruin; to spoil; to damage
3. to break (a bill, etc.)
1. to move (house); to change residence
引っこす 【ひっこす】、引越す 【ひきこす】、引き越す 【ひきこす】
引越す: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to pull out; to take out; to draw out
- ひきだ 。
- I opened the envelope and pulled out a letter.
2. to lead out (e.g. a horse from a stable); to summon (e.g. to court); to bring (e.g. someone to the negotiating table); to drag
3. to withdraw (money); to draw
- ひきだ 。
- Taro drew 10,000 yen from the bank.
4. to bring out (talent, potential, beauty, flavour, etc.); to extract (information, the truth, etc.); to get (e.g. an answer out of someone); to obtain (e.g. a result); to elicit; to draw (a conclusion); to derive (e.g. pleasure)
- ひきだ 。
- He drew his conclusions based on that survey.
5. to get (money) out of someone; to coax out of someone; to get someone to pay; to make someone produce (funds)
引出す 【ひきだす】、引きだす 【ひきだす】
1. to say; to be calledHumble (kenjougo) language
2. to doHumble (kenjougo) language, after a word beginning with お- or ご-
1. to transcribe; to duplicate; to reproduce; to imitate; to trace
- Copy this page in your notebook.
2. to describe
3. to film; to picture; to photograph
- The picture was taken from the air.
1. to boil; to heatOnly applies to 沸かす
- わ 。
- Jessie is boiling water to make coffee.
2. to exciteOnly applies to 沸かす
- The opposing team did not put up much of a fight, so we won hands down.
3. to melt (metal)Archaism