Words — 539 found
1. water (esp. cool, fresh water, e.g. drinking water)See also 湯 ゆ, み is generally used in compounds
2. fluid (esp. in an animal tissue); liquid
3. flood; floodwaters
4. water offered to wrestlers just prior to a boutSumo term, Only applies to みず, See also 力水
5. break granted to wrestlers engaged in a prolonged boutSumo term, Only applies to みず, See also 水入り
6. WaterWater is a chemical substance with the chemical formula H... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. old person; elderly person; senior citizen
- ささ 。
- The blind nurse devoted herself to caring for the elderly.
2. trustee of the Japan Sumo Association; retired high-ranking wrestler who is licensed to coach and receives retirement paySumo term
3. senior statesman (of the Tokugawa shogunate)
4. important local official (under the Tokugawa Shogunate)
5. ToshiyoriA toshiyori (年寄) is a sumo elder of the Japan Sumo Associ... Read more
年寄 【としより】、年より 【としより】
2. four years of age
3. ten o'clock (old time system)
4. cross gripsSumo term, Abbreviation, See also 四つ身
四つ 【よつ】、４つ 【よっつ】、４つ 【よつ】
1. to shineSee also 射す
- He went on walking in the rain without an umbrella.
2. to be visible
- Expressions and smiles change like that just from applying rouge and lipstick.
3. to be tinged with
4. to rise (of water levels); to flow in
6. to hold up (an umbrella, etc.); to put up; to raise
7. to extend one's arm straight ahead (in dance)See also 指す
8. to insert; to put inSee also 挿す
9. to wear (a sword) in one's belt; to wear at one's side; to carry under one's armSee also 挿す
10. to insert one's arm under an opponent's armSumo term
11. to pole (a boat)See also 刺す
12. to pour; to add (liquid); to serve (drinks)See also 注す
13. to put on (lipstick, etc.); to apply; to colour; to dye
14. to light (a fire); to burn
15. to shut; to close; to lock; to fastenSee also 鎖す さす
16. to stop in the midst of; to leave undoneSee also 止す さす, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to decide; to choose; to determine; to make up one's mind; to resolve; to set one's heart on; to settle; to arrange; to set; to appoint; to fix
- きわ 。
- Most athletes are at their best during their early manhood.
2. to clinch (a victory); to decide (the outcome of a match)
3. to persist in doing; to go through with
4. to always do; to have made a habit ofas 決めている
5. to take for granted; to assume
6. to dress up; to dress to kill; to dress to the nines
7. to carry out successfully (a move in sports, a pose in dance, etc.); to succeed in doing
8. to immobilize with a double-arm lock (in sumo, judo, etc.)Martial arts term, Sumo term
9. to eat or drink something; to take illegal drugs
1. place; location; spot; position
2. room; space
3. basho; wrestling tournamentSumo term
1. star (usu. not including the Sun); planet (usu. not including Earth); heavenly body
- Last night, we watched the stars from the rooftop.
2. star (glyph, symbol, shape)
3. star (actor, player, etc.)
4. small dot; spot; fleck
5. star point (in go); hoshi; intersection marked with a dot
6. perp; perpetrator; mark; offender; suspectSlang, police slang
8. one's star (that determines one's fate); one's fortuneSee also 九星
9. point; scoreSumo term
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. should (be); bound (to be); expected (to be); must (be)Usually written using kana alone
- The plane should have arrived at Kansai Airport by now.
2. nock (of a bow)
3. nock (of an arrow)
4. nock-shaped grip (between thumb and forefinger)Sumo term, See also はず押し はずおし
5. wooden frame on the tip of the mast of a Japanese ship that prevents the hawser from falling out
1. to approach; to draw near; to come near; to be close to
2. to gather (in one place); to come together; to meet
3. to stop by (while on one's way to another place); to drop by; to make a short visit
4. to grow old; to grow high (number, etc.)See also 年が寄る
5. to grow (wrinkly)in the form of しわが寄る
6. to lean against; to recline onalso written as 倚る, 凭る
7. to push one's opponent while holding their beltSumo term
8. to decide on a price and come to a deal
9. to be swayed by (a person); to yield toArchaism
1. change; variation; alteration; mutation; transition; transformation; transfiguration; metamorphosis
- おこ 。
- Like other changes, this change in attitude has occurred in other countries, too.
2. variety; diversity
- と 。
- The mountains in this part of the country are full of variety.
3. inflection; declension; conjugationlinguistics terminology
- Can you conjugate this verb?
4. sidesteppingSumo term
1. to leave (behind)
- I carried one bag, but the other one was left behind.
2. to leave (undone); to not finish
- のこ 、
- しあが 。
- The thesis is finished except for the conclusion.
3. to save; to set aside; to reserve
- We left him some cake.
4. to leave (to someone, esp. after one's death); to bequeath
- This is one thing my father left to me.
5. to stay (in the ring); to hold onSumo term
1. to stand up; to get up
2. to rise
3. to recover
4. to take action; to start
5. to make the initial chargeSumo term
6. to start up; to boot upComputer terminology
立上がる 【たちあがる】、起ち上がる 【たちあがる】、立ちあがる 【たちあがる】
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. number (in a series)
- My home phone number is, area code two-oh-one, one-two-three, four-five-six-seven.
2. (one's) turn
- こ 。
- I've been waiting since six o'clock and still my turn hasn't come.
3. watch; guard; lookout
4. rank; standing; position
5. bout; matchSumo term
6. pieces (in a collection)
1. to wring (towel, rag); to squeezeesp. 絞る
2. to squeeze (fruit to extract juice); to press; to extract; to milk; to express milkesp. 搾る
3. to rack (one's brains); to strain (one's voice)
4. to extort; to exploit
5. to chew out; to reprimand severely; to rake over the coals; to give a sound scolding; to tell someone off; to scold; to rebukeSee also 油を絞る, often passive voice
6. to drill into; to train
7. to narrow down (one's focus); to whittle down
8. to gather up (curtain, etc.); to tighten (drawstring)
9. to stop down (lens)
10. to turn down (e.g. radio)
11. to bend (bow); to draw
12. to hold down; to constrict; to immobilizeSumo term
1. rope; cord; line
- き 。
- The rope broke under the strain.
2. grand champion's braided beltSumo term
Common word JLPT N2 Links
- おく １６００
- In the U.S., as many as 216 million firearms are said to be in private hands.
2. wooden pole that wrestlers strike in practiceSumo term
3. puffer fishColloquialism, See also 河豚
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. public performance
- お 、
- い 。
- The evening performance at the Royal Theater had ended, and the audience had gone home.
2. exhibition in a foreign countrySumo term
1. counter for flat objects (e.g. sheets of paper)
2. counter for positions or rolesArchaism, See also 役 やく
3. counter for food portions (now only gyōza and soba)Archaism
4. counter for ranking levelSumo term