Words — 542 found
1. water (esp. cool, fresh water, e.g. drinking water)See also 湯 ゆ, み is generally used in compounds
2. fluid (esp. in an animal tissue); liquid
3. flood; floodwaters
4. water offered to wrestlers just prior to a boutSumo, Only applies to みず, See also 力水
5. break granted to wrestlers engaged in a prolonged boutSumo, Only applies to みず, See also 水入り
6. WaterWater is a chemical substance with the chemical formula H... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. old person; elderly person; senior citizen
- ささ 。
- The blind nurse devoted herself to caring for the elderly.
2. trustee of the Japan Sumo Association; retired high-ranking wrestler who is licensed to coach and receives retirement paySumo
3. senior statesman (of the Tokugawa shogunate)
4. important local official (under the Tokugawa Shogunate)
5. ToshiyoriA toshiyori (年寄) is a sumo elder of the Japan Sumo Associ... Read more
年寄 【としより】、年より 【としより】
1. to shineSee also 射す
2. to be visible
3. to be tinged with
- Expressions and smiles change like that just from applying rouge and lipstick.
4. to rise (of water levels); to flow in
6. to hold up (an umbrella, etc.); to put up; to raise
- He went on walking in the rain without an umbrella.
7. to extend one's arm straight ahead (in dance)See also 指す
8. to insert; to put inSee also 挿す
9. to wear (a sword) in one's belt; to wear at one's side; to carry under one's armSee also 挿す
10. to insert one's arm under an opponent's armSumo
11. to pole (a boat)See also 刺す
12. to pour; to add (liquid); to serve (drinks)See also 注す
13. to put on (lipstick, etc.); to apply; to colour; to dye
14. to light (a fire); to burn
15. to shut; to close; to lock; to fastenSee also 鎖す さす
16. to stop in the midst of; to leave undoneSee also 止す さす, after the -masu stem of a verb
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. railway crossing; railroad crossing; train crossing; level crossing
- Don't cross the tracks when the alarm is ringing.
2. starting line; scratch
4. stepping over the edge of the ringSumo
5. Level crossingA level crossing (a primarily British term; usually calle... Read more
踏切り 【ふみきり】、踏み切り 【ふみきり】、踏み切 【ふみきり】
1. to decide; to choose; to determine; to make up one's mind; to resolve; to set one's heart on; to settle; to arrange; to set; to appoint; to fix
- きわ 。
- Most athletes are at their best during their early manhood.
2. to clinch (a victory); to decide (the outcome of a match)
3. to persist in doing; to go through with
4. to always do; to have made a habit ofas 決めている
5. to take for granted; to assume
6. to dress up; to dress to kill; to dress to the nines
7. to carry out successfully (a move in sports, a pose in dance, etc.); to succeed in doing
8. to immobilize with a double-arm lock (in sumo, judo, etc.)Martial arts, Sumo
9. to eat or drink something; to take illegal drugs
1. place; location; spot; position
2. room; space
3. basho; wrestling tournamentSumo
1. star (usu. not including the Sun); planet (usu. not including Earth); heavenly body
- Last night, we watched the stars from the rooftop.
2. star (glyph, symbol, shape)
3. star (actor, player, etc.)
4. small dot; spot; fleck
5. star point (in go); hoshi; intersection marked with a dot
6. perp; perpetrator; mark; offender; suspectSlang, police slang
8. one's star (that determines one's fate); one's fortuneSee also 九星
9. point; scoreSumo
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. should (be); bound (to be); expected (to be); must (be)Usually written using kana alone
- The plane should have arrived at Kansai Airport by now.
2. nock (of a bow)
3. nock (of an arrow)
4. nock-shaped grip (between thumb and forefinger)Sumo, See also はず押し はずおし
5. wooden frame on the tip of the mast of a Japanese ship that prevents the hawser from falling out
弭: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to approach; to draw near; to come near; to be close to
2. to gather (in one place); to come together; to meet
3. to stop by (while on one's way to another place); to drop by; to make a short visit
4. to grow old; to grow high (number, etc.)See also 年が寄る
5. to grow (wrinkly)in the form of しわが寄る
6. to lean against; to recline onalso written as 倚る, 凭る
7. to push one's opponent while holding their beltSumo
8. to decide on a price and come to a deal
9. to be swayed by (a person); to yield toArchaism
1. change; variation; alteration; mutation; transition; transformation; transfiguration; metamorphosis
- おこ 。
- Like other changes, this change in attitude has occurred in other countries, too.
2. variety; diversity
- と 。
- The mountains in this part of the country are full of variety.
3. inflection; declension; conjugationGrammar
- Can you conjugate this verb?
1. to leave (behind)
- I carried one bag, but the other one was left behind.
2. to leave (undone); to not finish
- のこ 、
- しあが 。
- The thesis is finished except for the conclusion.
3. to save; to set aside; to reserve
- We left him some cake.
4. to leave (to someone, esp. after one's death); to bequeath
- This is one thing my father left to me.
5. to stay (in the ring); to hold onSumo
- The curtain was rising then.
2. act (in a play)
- This play has three acts.
3. falling of the curtain; end (of a scene)
4. end; close
5. case; occasion; role (to play); part; place
6. makuuchi; top divisionSumo, See also 幕内
1. to stand up; to get up
2. to rise
3. to recover
4. to take action; to start
5. to make the initial chargeSumo
6. to start up; to boot upComputing
立上がる 【たちあがる】、起ち上がる 【たちあがる】、立ちあがる 【たちあがる】
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. number (in a series)
- My home phone number is, area code two-oh-one, one-two-three, four-five-six-seven.
2. (one's) turn
- こ 。
- I've been waiting since six o'clock and still my turn hasn't come.
3. watch; guard; lookout
4. rank; standing; position
5. bout; matchSumo
6. pieces (in a collection)
1. to wring (towel, rag); to squeezeesp. 絞る
2. to squeeze (fruit to extract juice); to press; to extract; to milk; to express milkesp. 搾る
3. to rack (one's brains); to strain (one's voice)
4. to extort; to exploit
5. to chew out; to reprimand severely; to rake over the coals; to give a sound scolding; to tell someone off; to scold; to rebukeSee also 油を絞る, often passive voice
6. to drill into; to train
7. to narrow down (one's focus); to whittle down
8. to gather up (curtain, etc.); to tighten (drawstring)
9. to stop down (lens)
10. to turn down (e.g. radio)
11. to bend (bow); to draw
12. to hold down; to constrict; to immobilizeSumo
1. rope; cord; line
- き 。
- The rope broke under the strain.
2. grand champion's braided beltSumo
Common word JLPT N2 Links
- おく １６００
- In the U.S., as many as 216 million firearms are said to be in private hands.
2. wooden pole that wrestlers strike in practiceSumo
3. puffer fishColloquialism, See also 河豚