Words — 502 found
1. teacher; instructor; master
- Our teacher is a gentleman in the true sense of the word.
2. sensei; title or form of address for a teacher, master, doctor, lawyer, etc.Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
- I had my composition corrected by Mr Jones.
3. intimate or teasing form of addressFamiliar language, Jocular, humorous term
4. one's elderArchaism, orig. meaning
5. SenseiSensei is a Japanese word that is literally translated as... Read more
1. to become; to get; to grow; to turn; to reach; to attainUsually written using kana alone
- When you go, I'll miss you very much.
2. to result in; to turn out; to end up; to prove (to be)Usually written using kana alone
- The news turned out true in a week.
3. to consist of; to be composed of; to be made up ofUsually written using kana alone, as ...からなる or ...よりなる
- な 。
- Nine players make up a team.
4. to be completed; to be realized; to succeed; to be attained; to be accomplishedUsually written using kana alone
5. to change (into); to turn (into); to transformUsually written using kana alone
6. to come (to do); to begin (to do); to grow (to do)Usually written using kana alone
7. to come to; to amount to; to add up to; to makeUsually written using kana alone
8. to play (the part of); to act asUsually written using kana alone
9. to be used for; to be useful for; to serve asUsually written using kana alone
10. to be promotedShogi
11. to do ...Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, as お + masu stem + になる or ご + noun+ になる
1. kingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
2. Ōsama (musician), born Ōsama Jirō, is a Japanese musician and guitarist b... Read more
1. please (give me)Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
- くだ 。
- I'd like to have some hot chocolate.
2. please (do for me)Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, after te-form of a verb or a noun prefixed with o- or go-
- Please show me your stamp album.
1. father; dad; papa; pa; pop; daddy; dadaHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 父さん
2. husbandHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
3. you; he; himColloquialism, of person older than speaker
お父さん 【おとっさん】、御父さん 【おとうさん】、御父さん 【おとっさん】
おとっさん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. おとっさん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. mother; mom; mum; maHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 母さん
2. wifeHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
1. all; everyone; everybodyHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
1. above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
- It's in the overhead compartment.
2. top; summit; head (e.g. of a staircase)
- If you stand on this stool, you can reach the top of the closet.
- Are there any pens on the desk?
4. before; previous
5. superiority; one's superior; one's elder
6. on top of that; besides; what's more; not only ... butfollowing a verb or adjective
- つよ 。
- It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
7. upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)following a verb or noun
- They acted immediately by agreement.
8. matters concerning ...; as concerns ...
9. since (i.e. "for that reason")as ～上は
10. honorable; venerableHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 父上, suffix indicating higher social standing than the speaker
11. place of one's superior (e.g. the throne)Archaism
12. emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyoArchaism
13. noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)Archaism
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. whoUsually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
1. wife; your wife; his wife; married lady; madamHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
1. older sister; elder sisterHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 姉さん, usu. お姉さん
- Your sister has a sense of beauty.
2. young ladySee also 姉さん, vocative
3. missSee also 姉さん, referring to a waitress, etc.; usu. お姐さん
4. ma'amSee also 姉さん, used by geisha to refer to their superiors; usu. お姐さん
5. older girl
- By the way, Ren. Should I take your hand? Every year you wander off.
お姐さん 【おねえさん】、御姉さん 【おねえさん】、御姐さん 【おねえさん】
1. to be seen; to be in sight
- くだ 、
- The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.
2. to look; to seem; to appear
- み 。
- The map on page 11 looks very strange. Turn it upside down. Then it becomes a familiar map to you.
3. to comeHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
- A gentleman called in your absence, sir.
1. to carry; to transport; to move; to convey
2. to come; to goHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 足を運ぶ, usu. as お運びになる, お運び下さる, etc.
3. to wield (a tool, etc.); to use
4. to go (well, etc.); to proceed; to progress
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo) language
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. knowingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, See also 存じ
- This only takes quarters, you know.
2. (an) acquaintance
ご存知 【ごぞんじ】、御存じ 【ごぞんじ】、御存知 【ごぞんじ】
ご存知: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 御存知: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. (another's) daughterPolite (teineigo) language, See also お嬢様
- Your daughter passed the examination, I hear.
2. young lady
- She was a rather prim and proper young lady.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. to doHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, Usually written using kana alone
1. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
召しあがる 【めしあがる】、召上がる 【めしあがる】、召し上る 【めしあがる】