Words — 446 found
1. teacher; master; doctorHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- Our teacher is a gentleman in the true sense of the word.
2. with names of teachers, etc. as an honorificHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- I had my composition corrected by Mr Jones.
3. previous existenceArchaism, Only applies to せんじょう, See also 前生
4. SenseiSensei is a Japanese word that is literally translated as... Read more
せんじょう: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to become; to get; to grow; to be; to reach; to attainUsually written using kana alone
- When you go, I'll miss you very much.
2. to result in; to prove to be
- The news turned out true in a week.
3. to consist of; to be composed of
- な 。
- Nine players make up a team.
4. to succeed; to be complete
5. to change into; to be exchanged for
6. to play a roleSee also 成り済ます
7. to be promotedShogi term
8. to do ...Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), as お+masu-stem+になる, ご+noun+になる, etc.
1. kingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
2. Ōsama (musician), born Ōsama Jirō, is a Japanese musician and guitarist b... Read more
1. please give meUsually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- くだ 。
- I'd like to have some hot chocolate.
2. please do for meUsually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), after te-form of a verb or a noun prefixed with o- or go-
- Please show me your stamp album.
1. father; dad; papa; pa; pop; daddy; dadaHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 父さん
2. husbandHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
お父さん 【おとっさん】、御父さん 【おとうさん】、御父さん 【おとっさん】
おとっさん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. おとっさん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. mother; mom; mum; maHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 母さん
2. wifeHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
1. all; everyone; everybodyHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
1. above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
- It's in the overhead compartment.
2. top; summit; head (e.g. of a staircase)
- If you stand on this stool, you can reach the top of the closet.
- Are there any pens on the desk?
4. before; previous
5. superiority; one's superior; one's elder
6. on top of that; besides; what's more; not only ... butfollowing a verb or adjective
- つよ 。
- It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
7. upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)following a verb or noun
- They acted immediately by agreement.
8. matters concerning ...; as concerns ...
9. since (i.e. "for that reason")as ～上は
10. honorable; venerableHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 父上, suffix indicating higher social standing than the speaker
11. place of one's superior (e.g. the throne)Archaism
12. emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyoArchaism
13. noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)Archaism
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. who?Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
1. wife; your wife; his wife; married lady; madamHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
1. older brother; elder brotherHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 兄さん
- His brother is a famous soccer player.
2. young man; buddy; fella; laddievocative
1. elder sisterHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 姉さん, usu. お姉さん
- Your sister has a sense of beauty.
2. young ladySee also 姉さん, vocative
3. missSee also 姉さん, referring to a waitress, etc.; usu. お姐さん
4. ma'amSee also 姉さん, used by geisha to refer to their superiors; usu. お姐さん
5. older girl
- By the way, Ren. Should I take your hand? Every year you wander off.
お姐さん 【おねえさん】、御姉さん 【おねえさん】、御姐さん 【おねえさん】
1. to be seen; to be in sight
- くだ 、
- The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.
2. to look; to seem; to appear
- み 。
- The map on page 11 looks very strange. Turn it upside down. Then it becomes a familiar map to you.
3. to comeHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- A gentleman called in your absence, sir.
1. to carry; to transport; to move; to convey
2. to come; to goHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 足を運ぶ, usu. as お運びになる, お運び下さる, etc.
3. to wield (a tool, etc.); to use
4. to go (well, etc.); to proceed; to progress
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
- My father has just come out of the bath.
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- I always get nervous just before a match.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. knowingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 存じ
- This only takes quarters, you know.
2. (an) acquaintance
ご存知 【ごぞんじ】、御存じ 【ごぞんじ】、御存知 【ごぞんじ】
ご存知: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 御存知: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. (another's) daughterPolite (teineigo), See also お嬢様
- Your daughter passed the examination, I hear.
2. young lady
- She was a rather prim and proper young lady.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. to doHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Usually written using kana alone
1. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
召しあがる 【めしあがる】、召上がる 【めしあがる】、召し上る 【めしあがる】