Words — 240 found
1. railway station; train station
2. staging post on a highway (in pre-modern Japan)Historical term
3. counter for railway stations and bus stations
驛: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. Lord; SirHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, Only applies to きょう
- すわ アンソニー
- On the wall there was a big picture of Sir Anthony at the piano.
2. state minister (under the ritsuryo system)Historical term, See also 律令制
3. you (in reference to someone of lower status)Archaism, Male term or language, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, Only applies to けい
1. one-hundredth; 0.3 mm (one-hundredth of a sun); 0.1 percent (one-hundredth of a wari); 0.0375 grams (one-hundredth of a monme)
- ぶ ３
- He batted .343 with 54 home runs.
2. rin (monetary unit; 0.001 yen)Historical term
- Take care of the pence, and the pounds will take care of themselves.
厘 【り】、釐 【り】
り: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. り: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. 釐: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. elementary school; primary school; grade schoolAbbreviation, See also 小学校
2. school for children over eight years old in ancient ChinaHistorical term
3. traditional Chinese philology
1. War of the RosesHistorical term
2. Wars of the RosesThe Wars of the Roses were a series of dynastic civil war... Read more
ばら戦争 【ばらせんそう】、バラ戦争 【バラせんそう】
1. retirement (from work); leading a quiet life (after retirement)
2. retired person; retireeusu. ご隠居(さん)
3. surrendering headship of the family (pre-WWII)Historical term
1. very hard; with utmost effort; as hard as one can; with all one's might; for dear life; eagerly; desperatelyYojijukugo (four character compound), See also 一生懸命
- With great effort he climbed up the tree.
2. (of a samurai) devoting oneself to (the defence of) one's territoryHistorical term, Yojijukugo (four character compound)
1. tiny amount of money; a penny; a cent; a farthing
2. one letter; one character
3. one mon (unit of currency)Historical term, See also 文
1. magistrate; shogunate administratorHistorical term
2. BugyōBugyō, often translated as "commissioner" or "magistrate"... Read more
1. within the borders of a country; domestic soil
2. inland; interior
3. Japan proper (as opposed to its overseas colonies); homeland; homeHistorical term
4. "mainland" Japan (i.e. Honshū)used by people in Hokkaido and Okinawa
6. Mainland Japanis a term to distinguish the area of Japan from its outly... Read more
1. whole family; entire family; all (members of) the family
- The whole family helped harvest the wheat.
2. all over the house; throughout the house
- Strange to say, all the lights in the house were on, though no one was at home.
3. retainer of a daimyo; feudal domain; clanHistorical term, Only applies to かちゅう
家じゅう 【うちじゅう】、うち中 【うちじゅう】、家中 【かちゅう】、家中 【いえじゅう】、家じゅう 【いえじゅう】、いえ中 【いえじゅう】
1. seppuku; harakiri; ritual suicide by disembowelment
2. seppuku as a death penalty (where the convict is decapitated by a second as they make the motions to disembowel themself; Edo period)Historical term
3. Seppukuis a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment. S... Read more
1. short sleeved kimono (worn as an undergarment during the Heian period)Historical term
2. padded silk garment
3. KosodeThe kosode (小袖) is a basic Japanese robe for both men and... Read more
1. black ships; Western ships that came to Japan between the 16th and 19th centuries, esp. those of the Perry Expedition in 1853Historical term
2. foreign disruptor (of the Japanese market); product, person, etc. arriving from the West and disturbing the Japanese market
3. Black ShipsThe Black Ships was the name given to Western vessels arr... Read more
1. chōnin (Edo-period social class of town-dwelling commoners, esp. landowning merchants); townspeople; townsfolk; tradespeopleHistorical term
2. Chōninwas a social class that emerged in Japan during the early... Read more
まちにん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. long sword (esp. the tachi, worn on the hip edge down by samurai); large sword
2. straight single-edged Japanese sword (from the mid-Heian period or earlier)Historical term, Only applies to 大刀, Only applies to たち
3. guandao; Chinese glaiveOnly applies to 大刀, Only applies to だいとう
4. TachiThe tachi is one type of traditionally made Japanese swor... Read more
大刀 【たち】、横刀 【たち】、大刀 【だいとう】、横刀 【だいとう】
横刀: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage. 横刀: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. envoy to Tang ChinaHistorical term
2. Japanese missions to Tang ChinaJapanese missions to Tang China (遣唐使, Kentōshi) represent... Read more