Words — 12900 found
1. freedom; liberty
2. LibertyWhen human beings are able to govern themselves, they hav... Read more
1. miso; fermented condiment usu. made from soybeansFood, cooking
2. innards (from crabs, shrimps, etc.) resembling miso
3. key (main) point; good part (of something)See also 手前味噌 てまえみそ
- The good thing about this electronic dictionary is that it's easy to carry.
5. tryUsually written using kana alone, Slang, Jocular, humorous term, See also 見る, imperative; after the -te form of a verb; pun on 見ろ
6. Misois a traditional Japanese seasoning produced by fermentin... Read more
1. abstaining from smoking; quitting smoking
- When will they turn off the no-smoking sign?
2. prohibition of smoking
- どうよう 、
- りてん （
- たと 、
- Similarly, the strongest reasons for stopping smoking are usually the short-term benefits (for example, feeling healthier and more attractive).
3. No Smoking; Smoking Prohibitedon a sign
4. Smoking banSmoking bans (or smoke-free laws) are public policies, in... Read more
禁烟: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. sweat; perspiration
- Wipe the sweat from your brow.
2. moisture; condensation
3. gulp; oopsInternet slang, often as （汗）
4. PerspirationPerspiration is the production of a fluid consisting prim... Read more
1. please (give me)Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
- くだ 。
- I'd like to have some hot chocolate.
2. please (do for me)Usually written using kana alone, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, after te-form of a verb or a noun prefixed with o- or go-
- Please show me your stamp album.
- What did the announcement just say?
2. you-know-what; that thing
- くら 、
- "No, not so much. At most comparing sizes, telling dirty stories." "Sizes of what?" "Of 'that'."
3. whatsit; whachamacallit; what's-his-name; what's-her-name
4. penis; (one's) thing; dickColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, esp. ナニ
5. (not) at all; (not) in the slightestwith neg. sentence
- こしぬ ！
- What? You can't do it? You coward! Chicken!
6. what?; huh?indicates surprise
7. hey!; come on!indicates anger or irritability
8. oh, no (it's fine); why (it's nothing); oh (certainly not)used to dismiss someone's worries, concerns, etc.
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. a little; a bit; slightlyUsually written using kana alone
- あいだ 、
- Hold still a moment while I fix your tie.
2. just a minute; for a moment; brieflyUsually written using kana alone
- ひく 。
- This desk is a little low for me.
3. somewhat; rather; fairly; pretty; quiteUsually written using kana alone
- You won't find a better job in a hurry.
4. (not) easily; (not) readilyUsually written using kana alone, before a verb in negative form
- Hey, you there!
5. hey!; come on; excuse meUsually written using kana alone
6. thanks, but no; not feasible; not possibleUsually written using kana alone
一寸 【ちょと】、鳥渡 【ちょっと】、鳥渡 【ちょと】、チョット、ちょいと、チョッと
一寸: Rarely-used kanji form. 一寸: Rarely-used kanji form. 鳥渡: Rarely-used kanji form. 鳥渡: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to differ (from); to be different; to be distinct; to be unlike; to vary; to disagree (with)
- ちが 。
- I differ from you on that point.
2. to be wrong; to be incorrect; to be mistaken
- Is he mad that he should say such a foolish thing?
3. to become abnormal; to go wrongSee also 気が違う
- You're going the wrong way.
4. isn't it?; wasn't it?Kansai dialect, at sentence-end; oft. as 〜のと違うか
1. not less than; ... and over; ... and above; ... and upwards; ... or more
- Children of six and above should attend school.
2. beyond (e.g. one's expectations); above; more than; further than
- Try not to spend more money than is necessary.
3. above-mentioned; aforementioned; foregoing
- As shown above, it is possible to obtain ample profit and customers with truly simple know-how that anyone can do!
4. since ...; seeing that ...; now that ...; once ...
- He realizes that public officials are human, and that as human beings they are capable of misjudgement.
5. that's all; that is the end; the end
- Is that all?
1. end; conclusion
- だいじょうぶ 、
- I can assure you that honesty pays in the long run.
2. last; final; latest; most recent
- The last part of the legend was added later.
3. no sooner than; once; right after (often having negative consequences)after -tara form or -ta form followed by "ga"
4. one's final momentsArchaism, See also 最期
1. to be helpful; to be useful
役にたつ 【やくにたつ】、やくに立つ 【やくにたつ】
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. sure; certain; positive; definite
- It is certain that he is wrong.
2. reliable; trustworthy; safe; sound; firm; accurate; correct; exact
- え 。
- I got the news from a reliable source.
3. If I'm not mistaken; If I remember correctly; If I remember rightly
- おも 。
- I believe this fish is a freshwater fish.
確 【たしか】、慥か 【たしか】
確: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. grass; weed; herb; thatch
3. not genuine; substandard
4. LOL; hahaInternet slang, See also ｗ, multiple repetitions of "w" ("LOL") resembles grass: wwwwww
艸: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. I see; that's right; indeedUsually written using kana alone
成る程 【なるほど】、成程 【なるほど】、成るほど 【なるほど】
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. something; some; any
2. somehow; for some reason
3. (so) what (are you trying to say)?; what (do you mean)?Only applies to なにか
- なに ？」
- "Might you happen to be Mr. Ogawa?" "Well, yes ... can I help you?"
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. (not) anything; (nothing) at all; (not) any; nothingwith neg. verb
- つくりだ 。
- He who makes no mistakes makes nothing.
2. and everything else; and allas ...も何も
- い 。
- I'm living on welfare, without a car or anything.
3. (not) at all; (not) in the least; (not) especially; (not) to that extentas ...なくてもいい, ...ことはない, etc.