Words — 152 found
1. extent; degree; measureUsually written using kana alone
- I wish I could play the piano as well as Susie.
2. limit; boundsUsually written using kana alone
- Some 20 issues have been agreed on.
3. (span of) timeUsually written using kana alone
- "When did Mr Ogawa arrive?" "Ten minutes ago."
4. (a) distanceUsually written using kana alone
- There is a village about three kilometers up the river from here.
5. the state of; the status of; the condition ofUsually written using kana alone, as 〜のほど
6. about; around; approximately; or soUsually written using kana alone
7. as much as ...; to the extent of ...; like ...Usually written using kana alone
8. the more ... the more ...Usually written using kana alone, oft. as 〜ば...ほど
- The more I studied psychology, the more interesting it seemed to me.
Common word JLPT N5 Links
2. from; out of; since; at; on
- とうじょう ！
- Now Beth enters, stage right!
3. except; but; other than
- しかた 。
- I had no choice but to stay.
- Since we can't find a better one, let's make the best of what we have.
5. Yori (kana), read as yori, is a typographic ligature in the Japanese... Read more
1. end; finish; place to stopUsually written using kana alone
2. bound; limit; endUsually written using kana alone, See also 切りがない
3. delivery date (of a futures contract)Finance, Only applies to 限り, Only applies to 限
4. finale (of a noh song); end of an act (in jōruri or kabuki); final performance of the day (in vaudeville)
5. trump card
6. king (court card; in mekuri karuta and unsun karuta)
7. counter for slices (esp. thick slices); counter for cuts (of fish, meat, etc.)
- かえ 。
- He went there, never to return.
8. only; justUsually written using kana alone, See also っきり, sometimes pronounced ぎり
- Though 38, he is still dependent on his parents.
9. (ever) since; afterUsually written using kana alone, usu. in a negative sentence; sometimes pronounced ぎり
10. continuously; remaining (in a particular state)Usually written using kana alone, sometimes pronounced ぎり
限り 【きり】、切 【きり】、限 【きり】
切: Irregular okurigana usage. 限: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. if; when
- This shampoo comes with a nice hair brush.
- The sum of 12, 24, 7 and 11 is 54.
- I have enjoyed talking to you.
4. used for quoting (thoughts, speech, etc.)
- うつく 」
- みにく 」
- The words 'beautiful' and 'ugly' are relative terms.
5. promoted pawnShogi, Abbreviation, See also と金
6. indicates a questionKyuushuu dialect, at sentence end
7. To (kana)と, in hiragana, or ト in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. but; however; though; nevertheless; still; yet; even so; also; as well
- い 。「
- "I did that," she complained, "but there was no water in it!"
- If that man makes one more mistake, I'll fire him.
3. however; no matter how; even if; even though
- You look as if you had seen a ghost.
4. ... or something
5. either ... or ...; neither ... nor ...as 〜でも〜でも
6. pseudo-; quack; in-name-onlybefore an occupation, etc.
7. for lack of anything better to doSee also でもしか, before an occupation, etc.
1. et cetera; etc.; and the like; and so forthUsually written using kana alone
- Two, four, six, etc. are even numbers.
2. or somethingUsually written using kana alone, after an approximate quote or vague suggestion
3. the likes ofUsually written using kana alone, lessening the significance or value of the previous word
- き 。
- I am in no mood for joking.
4. for example; for instance; for oneUsually written using kana alone
1. indicates sentence topicpronounced わ in modern Japanese
- みじか 。
- That dog has a short tail.
2. indicates contrast with another option (stated or unstated)
- たいしょく 、
- しょうしょく 。
- Feed a cold and starve a fever.
3. adds emphasis
- My mother never gets up early.
4. Ha (kana)は, in hiragana, or ハ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. after all; becauseColloquialism
- Even children can understand it.
4. too; as well; also
- This program is going to focus on computer hacking issues today.
5. they say; I hear; you mean
- I hear Akira practices archery every Friday.
1. until (a time); till; to; up toUsually written using kana alone
2. to (a place or person); as far asUsually written using kana alone
3. to (an extent); up to; so far as; evenUsually written using kana alone
4. only; merelyUsually written using kana alone
迄: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. only; just; merely; simply; no more than; nothing but; aloneUsually written using kana alone
- No one came except Mary.
2. as much as; to the extent of; enough toUsually written using kana alone
- This car has enough power to go up the mountain easily.
1. something like ...; things like ...; someone like ...; the likes of ...oft. scornful or dismissive
1. approximately; about; around; or soalso written as 位
- やく １００
- "How much is this camera worth?" "About 100 dollars."
2. to (about) the extent that; (almost) enough that; so ... that ...; at least
- こえ 、
- That's pitiful ... don't put on such a death-bed voice from just a body slam.
3. as ... as ...; like
1. indicates direct object of action
- My father chose not to disturb my optimism.
2. indicates subject of causative expression
- I couldn't make myself heard in the classroom.
3. indicates an area traversed
- くだ 。
- We went down the river in a small boat.
4. indicates time (period) over which action takes place
- はじ 。
- After 6 p.m. the employees began to disappear.
5. indicates point of departure or separation of action
- で 。
- He left the restaurant without paying.
6. indicates object of desire, like, hate, etc.See also が
- Who is it that you want to talk to?
7. Wo (kana)を, in hiragana, or ヲ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. indicates possessiveSee also 乃, occasionally ん, orig. written 乃 or 之
- Visit my webpage and find out more about me.
2. nominalizes verbs and adjectives
- As time went on, rules were added to the game to make it safer.
3. substitutes for "ga" in subordinate phrasesSee also が
- There were almost 100 people, few of whom I had seen before.
4. (at sentence-end, falling tone) indicates a confident conclusionoften ん
5. (at sentence-end) indicates emotional emphasisFemale term or language
- My father doesn't let me go out alone at night.
6. (at sentence-end, rising tone) indicates question
- Do you have a part time job?
7. No (kana)の, in hiragana, or ノ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. at (place, time); in; on; during
2. to (direction, state); toward; into
3. for (purpose)
4. because of (reason); for; with
5. by; from
6. as (i.e. in the role of)See also として
7. per; in; for; a (e.g. "once a month")
8. and; in addition to
9. if; althoughArchaism
10. Ni (kana)に, in hiragana, or ニ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. indicates a questionat sentence end
- かん 、
- Can you spare me a few minutes? I need your help.
2. or; whether or notafter each alternative
3. some- (e.g. something, someone)See also 何か, after an interrogative
4. hmm; huhindicates doubt, uncertainty, etc.; sometimes after other particles
- Why he got angry is quite clear.
5. verySee also か弱い, emphatic prefix; usu. before an adjective
6. -al; -ial; -ic; -ical; -ish; -ySee also 定か, suffix forming adjectives or adverbs; after an indeclinable word
7. in that wayArchaism
8. Ka (kana)か, in hiragana, or カ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. too; also; in addition; as well; (not) either (in a negative sentence)
- こわ 。
- Andersen was afraid of dogs, too.
2. both A and B; A as well as B; neither A nor B (in a negative sentence)as ＡもＢも
3. even; as much as; as many as; as far as; as long as; no less than; no fewer thanused for emphasis or to express absence of doubt regarding a quantity, etc.
- No less than 40 percent of students go on to university.
4. even if; even though; although; in spite ofoften as 〜ても, 〜でも, 〜とも, etc.
5. further; more; again; another; the otherColloquialism, Abbreviation, See also もう
6. Mo (kana)も, in hiragana, or モ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. hey; youat sentence-end; indicates certainty, emphasis, contempt, request, warning, etc.
- You can buy it for a thousand yen or so.
2. heyafter a noun; used when calling out to someone
- かえ 。
- Lover, come back to me.
3. hey; hold onin mid-sentence; used to catch one's breath or get someone's attention
4. yo; hey
5. Yo (kana)よ, in hiragana, or ヨ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. to; towards; forindicates direction or goal; pronounced え in modern Japanese
2. He (kana)へ, in hiragana, or ヘ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more