Words — 136 found
1. degree; extent; bounds; limitUsually written using kana alone
- I wish I could play the piano as well as Susie.
2. upper limitUsually written using kana alone, indicates approx. amount or maximum
- "When did Mr Ogawa arrive?" "Ten minutes ago."
Common word JLPT N5 Links
2. from; out of; since; at; on
- とうじょう ！
- Now Beth enters, stage right!
3. except; but; other than
- しかた 。
- I had no choice but to stay.
- Since we can't find a better one, let's make the best of what we have.
5. Yori (kana), read as yori, is a typographic ligature in the Japanese... Read more
1. end; finish; stop
- His curiosity knew no bounds.
- はや 、
- You should call your mother as soon as possible.
3. delivery date (of a futures contract)esp. 限り,限
4. finale (of a noh song); end of an act (in jōruri or kabuki); final performance of the day (in vaudeville)
- You will fail unless you work harder.
5. counter for slices (esp. thick slices); counter for cuts (e.g. fish, meat)
- ほんげつ ２５
- こと 。
- Tuition fees must be paid not later than the 25th of this month.
6. only; justUsually written using kana alone, See also っ切り っきり, senses 6-8 are sometimes pronounced ぎり, esp. in old-fashioned speech
7. since; afterUsually written using kana alone, usu. in a negative sentence
8. remaining (in a particular state)Usually written using kana alone
限り 【きり】、限 【きり】
限: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. if; when
- This shampoo comes with a nice hair brush.
- The sum of 12, 24, 7 and 11 is 54.
- I have enjoyed talking to you.
4. particle used for quoting (with speech, thoughts, etc.)See also って
- うつく 」
- みにく 」
- The words 'beautiful' and 'ugly' are relative terms.
5. promoted pawnShogi term, Abbreviation, See also と金
6. ?Kyuushuu dialect, at sentence end; indicates question
7. To (kana)と, in hiragana, or ト in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. but; however; though; nevertheless; still; yet; even so; also; as well
- い 。「
- "I did that," she complained, "but there was no water in it!"
- If that man makes one more mistake, I'll fire him.
3. however; no matter how; even if; even though
- You look as if you had seen a ghost.
4. ... or something
5. either ... or ...; neither ... nor ...as 〜でも〜でも
6. pseudo-; quack; in-name-onlybefore an occupation, etc.
7. for lack of anything better to doSee also でもしか, before an occupation, etc.
1. et cetera; etc.; and the like; and so forthUsually written using kana alone
- Two, four, six, etc. are even numbers.
2. or somethingUsually written using kana alone, after an approximate quote or vague suggestion
3. the likes ofUsually written using kana alone, lessening the significance or value of the previous word
- き 。
- I am in no mood for joking.
1. topic marker particlepronounced わ in modern Japanese
- New York's Fifth Avenue is comparable to Ginza.
2. indicates contrast with another option (stated or unstated)
- Whew! This is a tough hill. But coming back sure will be a breeze.
3. adds emphasis
- I'm leaving you tomorrow.
4. Ha (kana)は, in hiragana, or ハ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. after all; becauseColloquialism
- わ 。
- Even children can understand it.
4. too; as well; also
5. they say; I hear; you mean
1. until (a time); till; to; up toUsually written using kana alone
2. to (a place); as far asUsually written using kana alone
3. to (an extent); up to; so far as; evenUsually written using kana alone
4. only; merelyUsually written using kana alone
1. only; just; merely; simply; no more than; nothing but; aloneUsually written using kana alone, See also しか
2. as (e.g. as soon as, as much as)Usually written using kana alone
3. worthUsually written using kana alone, e.g. ...だけの
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. approximately; about; around; or soalso written as 位
- やく １００
- "How much is this camera worth?" "About 100 dollars."
2. to (about) the extent that; (almost) enough that; so ... that ...; at least
- こえ 、
- That's pitiful ... don't put on such a death-bed voice from just a body slam.
3. as ... as ...; like
1. indicates direct object of action
- My father chose not to disturb my optimism.
2. indicates subject of causative expression
- I couldn't make myself heard in the classroom.
3. indicates an area traversed
- くだ 。
- We went down the river in a small boat.
4. indicates time (period) over which action takes place
- はじ 。
- After 6 p.m. the employees began to disappear.
5. indicates point of departure or separation of action
- で 。
- He left the restaurant without paying.
- Who is it that you want to talk to?
7. Wo (kana)を, in hiragana, or ヲ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. indicates possessiveSee also 乃, occasionally ん, orig. written 乃 or 之
- Visit my webpage and find out more about me.
2. nominalizes verbs and adjectives
- As time went on, rules were added to the game to make it safer.
3. substitutes for "ga" in subordinate phrasesSee also が
- There were almost 100 people, few of whom I had seen before.
4. (at sentence-end, falling tone) indicates a confident conclusionoften ん
5. (at sentence-end) indicates emotional emphasisFemale term or language
- My father doesn't let me go out alone at night.
6. (at sentence-end, rising tone) indicates question
- Do you have a part time job?
7. No (kana)の, in hiragana, or ノ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. at (place, time); in; on; during
2. to (direction, state); toward; into
3. for (purpose)
4. because of (reason); for; with
5. by; from
6. as (i.e. in the role of)See also として
7. per; in; for; a (e.g. "once a month")
8. and; in addition to
9. if; althoughArchaism
10. Ni (kana)に, in hiragana, or ニ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. yes?; no?; isn't it?; is it?used at sentence-end; indicates a question (sometimes rhetorical)
- Why are you here when you should be in school?
2. or; whether or notafter each alternative
3. some- (e.g. something, someone)See also 何か, after an interrogative
4. hmm; huhSee also とか, indicates doubt, uncertainty, etc.; sometimes after other particles
- Why he got angry is quite clear.
5. verySee also か弱い, emphatic prefix; usu. before an adjective
6. -al; -ial; -ic; -ical; -ish; -ySee also 定か, suffix forming adjectives or adverbs; after an indeclinable word
7. in that wayArchaism
8. Ka (kana)か, in hiragana, or カ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. too; also; in addition; as well; (not) either (in a negative sentence)
- こわ 。
- Andersen was afraid of dogs, too.
2. both A and B; A as well as B; neither A nor B (in a negative sentence)as ＡもＢも
- No less than 40 percent of students go on to university.
3. even; as much as; as many as; as far as; as long as; no less than; no fewer thanused for emphasis or to express absence of doubt regarding a quantity, etc.
4. even if; even though; although; in spite ofoften as 〜ても, 〜でも, 〜とも, etc.
5. further; more; again; another; the otherColloquialism, Abbreviation, See also もう
6. Mo (kana)も, in hiragana, or モ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. hey; youat sentence-end; indicates certainty, emphasis, contempt, request, etc.
- You can buy it for a thousand yen or so.
2. heyafter a noun; used when calling out to someone
- かえ 。
- Lover, come back to me.
3. hey; hold onin mid-sentence; used to catch one's breath or get someone's attention
4. yo; hey
5. Yo (kana)よ, in hiragana, or ヨ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. indicates direction or goal (e.g. "to")pronounced え in modern Japanese
2. He (kana)へ, in hiragana, or ヘ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. indicates emphasis, agreement, request for confirmation, etc.; is it soat sentence end
- It's a beautiful day, isn't it?
2. hey; come on; listen
- おねが 。
- Oh, have a heart.
3. notColloquialism, See also ない, verb-negating suffix; may indicate question or invitation with rising intonation
4. Ne (kana)ね, in hiragana, or ネ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more