Words — 276 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo), Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. moneyPolite (teineigo), See also 金 かね
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. you (referring to someone of equal or lower status)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), 貴女 refers only to females and 貴男 refers only to males
- If you get enough rest every night, you'll feel much better.
2. dear (what a wife calls a husband)Only applies to 貴方, Only applies to 貴男
- Don't go, dears.
貴女 【あなた】、貴男 【あなた】
1. belly; abdomen; stomachPolite (teineigo)
御腹 【おなか】、お中 【おなか】、御中 【おなか】
1. (another's) daughterPolite (teineigo), See also お嬢様
- Your daughter passed the examination, I hear.
2. young lady
- She was a rather prim and proper young lady.
1. thanks; gratitudePolite (teineigo)
2. manners; etiquettePolite (teineigo)
3. bowPolite (teineigo)
4. reward; giftPolite (teineigo)
5. ceremony; ritualPolite (teineigo)
御礼 【おれい】、御礼 【おんれい】
1. seeing; looking atHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo)
拜見: Out-dated kanji.
1. present; souvenirPolite (teineigo), See also 土産 みやげ
お土産 【おみあげ】、御土産 【おみやげ】、御土産 【おみあげ】
おみあげ: Irregular kana usage. おみあげ: Irregular kana usage.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. change (for a purchase)Polite (teineigo), See also 釣り
御釣り 【おつり】、御釣 【おつり】
1. honorific/polite/humble prefixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Polite (teineigo), Humble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 御 お, usu. before a term with an on-yomi reading
2. honorific suffixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), after a noun indicating a person
1. to want; to wish for
2. to request; to demand
3. to seek; to search for; to pursue (pleasure); to hunt (a job)
4. to purchase; to buyPolite (teineigo), See also 買う
1. to receive; to get; to accept; to take; to buyHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う
- Thank you for the time you spent with me during my visit to Atlanta.
2. to eat; to drinkHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone
- いただ 」
- "Will you have some more coffee?" "No, thanks. I've had enough."
3. to be crowned with; to wear (on one's head); to have (on top)Usually written using kana alone, orig. meaning
4. to have (as one's leader); to live under (a ruler); to install (a president)Usually written using kana alone
5. to get somebody to do somethingHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う もらう, follows a verb in "-te" form
1. excuse me; pardon me; I'm sorryUsually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), used both to apologize and to get someone's attention
2. thank youUsually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo)
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. yes; that is correctPolite (teineigo)
- "Hello, is this Mrs. Brown?" "Yes, this is Mrs. Brown."
2. understood; I see; OK; okay
- Here's a magazine for you to read in the plane.
3. present; hereas a response to a roll call
4. pardon?; what's that?; come again?Colloquialism, with rising intonation
5. now; here; here you goused when calling for someone's attention or when handing something to someone
6. giddy-up; giddap
7. Yes and noYes and no are two words for expressing affirmatives and ... Read more
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. holiday; day off; absencePolite (teineigo)
- おやす 、
- Have a nice Thanksgiving!
2. sleep; restHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- おやす 、
- Good night and sweet dreams.
3. Good nightAbbreviation, Usually written using kana alone, See also お休みなさい
- She kissed her mother good night.
1. (giving) birth; childbirth; delivery; confinementPolite (teineigo), See also 産 さん
1. to be; to existPolite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 御座る
1. errand; mission; going as envoyPolite (teineigo), See also 使い つかい
- The boy often runs errands.
2. messenger; bearer; errand boy; errand girlPolite (teineigo)
3. familiar spiritPolite (teineigo), Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
御使い 【おつかい】、お遣い 【おつかい】、御遣い 【おつかい】、お使 【おつかい】、御使 【おつかい】
お使: Irregular okurigana usage. 御使: Irregular okurigana usage.