Words — 307 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language, after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo) language, See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. moneyPolite (teineigo) language, See also 金 かね
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. youUsually written using kana alone, trad. polite in ref. to someone of equal or lower status, now oft. regarded as rude or distant
- If you get enough rest every night, you'll feel much better.
2. dear; honeyFamiliar language, Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 貴方, Only applies to 貴男, used by wives addressing their husbands
- Don't go, dears.
貴女 【あなた】、貴男 【あなた】
1. difficult; hard; troublesome; complicated; serious (disease, problem, etc.)Antonym: 易しい やさしい
- しつもん 。
- I asked her a difficult question.
2. impossible; unfeasiblePolite (teineigo) language, euphemistic
3. fussy; particular; fastidious; hard to please; displeased
4. gloomy; glum; sullen; serious (look)
5. dirty; unclean; filthy; detestableArchaism
6. unpleasant; uncomfortable; creepy; spookyArchaism
難しい 【むつかしい】、六借しい 【むずかしい】、六借しい 【むつかしい】、六ヶ敷い 【むずかしい】、六ヶ敷い 【むつかしい】
六借しい: Ateji (phonetic) reading, Out-dated kanji or kanji usage. 六借しい: Ateji (phonetic) reading, Out-dated kanji or kanji usage. 六ヶ敷い: Ateji (phonetic) reading, Out-dated kanji or kanji usage. 六ヶ敷い: Ateji (phonetic) reading, Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. belly; abdomen; stomachPolite (teineigo) language
御腹 【おなか】、お中 【おなか】、御中 【おなか】
1. confections; sweets; candy; cakeSee also 菓子
1. you; buddy; palMale term or language, Familiar language, also used colloquially by young females
- It was careless of you to forget your homework.
2. monarch; ruler; sovereign; (one's) masterorig. meaning
3. he; shePolite (teineigo) language, Obsolete term, Only applies to 君
1. (another's) daughterPolite (teineigo) language, See also お嬢様
- Your daughter passed the examination, I hear.
2. young lady
- She was a rather prim and proper young lady.
1. thanks; gratitudePolite (teineigo) language
2. manners; etiquettePolite (teineigo) language
3. bowPolite (teineigo) language
4. reward; giftPolite (teineigo) language
5. ceremony; ritualPolite (teineigo) language
御礼 【おれい】、御礼 【おんれい】
1. seeing; looking atHumble (kenjougo) language, Polite (teineigo) language
拜見: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. local specialty or souvenir bought as a gift while travellingPolite (teineigo) language, See also 土産
2. present brought by a visitorPolite (teineigo) language
3. something unpleasant that one is given (e.g. an illness while on vacation); unwelcome gift; disservicePolite (teineigo) language
お土産 【おみあげ】、御土産 【おみやげ】、御土産 【おみあげ】
おみあげ: Irregular kana usage. おみあげ: Irregular kana usage.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. change (for a purchase)Polite (teineigo) language, See also 釣り
2. toilet splashbackColloquialism, Jocular, humorous term
お釣 【おつり】、御釣り 【おつり】、御釣 【おつり】
1. honorific/polite/humble prefixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, Polite (teineigo) language, Humble (kenjougo) language, Usually written using kana alone, See also 御 お, usu. before a term with an on-yomi reading
2. honorific suffixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language, after a noun indicating a person
1. to want; to wish for
2. to request; to demand; to require; to ask for
3. to seek; to search for; to look for; to pursue (pleasure); to hunt (a job)
- He immigrated to Brazil in search of a better life.
4. to purchase; to buyPolite (teineigo) language, See also 買う
1. to receive; to get; to accept; to take; to buyHumble (kenjougo) language, Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う
- Thank you for the time you spent with me during my visit to Atlanta.
2. to eat; to drinkHumble (kenjougo) language, Polite (teineigo) language, Usually written using kana alone
- いただ 」
- "Will you have some more coffee?" "No, thanks. I've had enough."
3. to be crowned with; to wear (on one's head); to have (on top)Usually written using kana alone, orig. meaning
4. to have (as one's leader); to live under (a ruler); to install (a president)Usually written using kana alone
5. to get somebody to do somethingHumble (kenjougo) language, Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う もらう, follows a verb in "-te" form
1. excuse me; pardon me; I'm sorry; I beg your pardonUsually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language, used both to apologize and to get someone's attention
2. thank youUsually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language
1. lunchPolite (teineigo) language, See also 昼 ひる
- You are supposed to be back by noon.
2. noon; middayPolite (teineigo) language, See also 昼 ひる
3. daytimePolite (teineigo) language, See also 昼 ひる
- Do you remember buying me lunch?
4. waking up; getting up; risingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. yes; that is correctPolite (teineigo) language
- "Hello, is this Mrs. Brown?" "Yes, this is Mrs. Brown."
2. understood; I see; OK; okay
- Here's a magazine for you to read in the plane.
3. present; hereas a response to a roll call
4. pardon?; what's that?; come again?Colloquialism, with rising intonation
5. now; here; here you goused when calling for someone's attention or when handing something to someone
6. giddy-up; giddap
7. Yes and noYes and no are two words for expressing affirmatives and ... Read more
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. holiday; day off; absencePolite (teineigo) language
- おやす 、
- Have a nice Thanksgiving!
2. sleep; restHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
- おやす 、
- Good night and sweet dreams.
3. Good nightAbbreviation, Usually written using kana alone, See also お休みなさい
- She kissed her mother good night.