Words — 163 found
1. previous; prior; former; first; earlier; some time ago; preceding
- This was he of whom I said, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me."
2. point (e.g. pencil); tip; end; nozzle
- か 。
- I can't write with this dull pencil.
3. head (of a line); front
4. ahead; the other side
- い 。
- You cannot go any farther.
5. the future; hereafter
- み 。
- We could see the summit of a mountain twenty miles away.
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
7. the other party
前 【さき】、先き 【さき】
先き: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. before oneself; in front of one; nearby
- The glass fronted building before you is the rose garden. It's a greenhouse so you will always be able to appreciate the roses.
2. a bit before reaching (a location); this side (of a location)
- Please let me off on this side of that traffic light.
3. one's standpoint; one's appearance; face; honour
4. skill; dexterity; artistry; ingenuity
5. tea-ceremony proceduresSee also 点前 てまえ
6. I; meHumble (kenjougo)
7. youMale term or language, to one's inferior
8. Lead (leg)Lead refers to which set of legs, left or right, leads or... Read more
1. ago; since; before; previous
已前: Out-dated kanji.
1. youFamiliar language, Male term or language, formerly honorific, now oft. derog. term referring to an equal or inferior
- You shall be my daughter's husband.
2. presence (of a god, nobleman, etc.)Only applies to おまえ
お前 【おまい】、お前 【おめー】、お前 【おめえ】、御前 【おまえ】、御前 【おまい】、御前 【おめー】、御前 【おめえ】
1. natural; reasonable; obvious
- おも 。
- We took his success for granted.
2. usual; common; ordinary; commonplace; the norm
- You cannot solve this problem in an ordinary way.
当り前 【あたりまえ】、あたり前 【あたりまえ】、当りまえ 【あたりまえ】
1. face; official stance; public position or attitude (as opposed to private thoughts)See also 本音
- Although many pay lip service to the idea of affirmative action, in reality, very few minorities get hired.
2. ceremony for the erection of the framework of a houseOnly applies to 建前, Only applies to 建て前
建て前 【たてまえ】、立前 【たてまえ】、立て前 【たてまえ】
1. the last (i.e. immediately preceding) (e.g. "the last mayor"); previous; one-time; former
2. pre- (e.g. "premodern")before the name of an era
3. before; earlierSee also 前 まえ
1. in front (of); before (e.g. the house)
- あさ 、スティーブン・ホーキング
- すわ 。
- One October morning in 1987, Stephen Hawking sat before his computer.
2. ago; before; previously; prior; (minutes) to (the hour)See also 前 ぜん
- How long ago did the author die?
3. front (of something); head (e.g. of a line); fore part
4. front (e.g. seat); previous (e.g. entry in a list); prior; former
- ひっこ 。
- The previous owners of our house moved to Liverpool.
5. (in the) presence (of); in front (of someone)
- She stood in the court before judge and jury.
6. forward; ahead
- おしだ 。
- He resolutely pushed forward from the start, overwhelming and pushing out his off-balance opponent.
7. helping; portionSee also 人前 にんまえ, usu. after a noun or the -masu stem of a verb
8. front of the body
9. privates; private parts
- かく ！
- まえ 、
- M-my goodness!? Cover-up! Cover yourself up!
1. pre-era; BC; BCE
2. Ante Christum NatumAnte Christum Natum (Latin for Before Christ Born), usual... Read more
1. pre-war days; before the war
2. Pre-warThe term pre-war or prewar (antebellum) is usually applie... Read more
1. in front of a station
1. natural; right; proper; just; reasonable; appropriate; deserved
2. naturally; as a matter of course; rightly; deservedly; justly; of course
当前: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. presence of other people; (in) public; (in) front of others
1. before one's eyes; in front of one; under one's nose
2. immediate; imminent; around the corner
1. just before; on the verge of; on the brink of
2. just in front of; just ahead of