Words — 163 found
1. point; tip; end; nozzle
- The point of the pencil has become dull.
2. head (of a line); front
3. first; before; ahead (of)
- でてい 。
- The taller of the two men went out first.
4. (the way) ahead; beyond
- い 。
- You cannot go any farther.
- You never can tell what'll happen in the future.
6. previous; prior; former; recent; last
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
8. rest (e.g. of a story); continuation; remaining part
- I'd like to know the rest of the story.
9. the other party
前 【さき】、先き 【さき】
先き: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. before oneself; in front of one; nearby
- The glass fronted building before you is the rose garden. It's a greenhouse so you will always be able to appreciate the roses.
2. a bit before reaching (a location); this side (of a location)
- Please let me off on this side of that traffic light.
3. one's standpoint; one's appearance; face; honour
- てまえ 、
- Having boasted how sure his hunches were, he was forced to eat his hat when he guessed wrong.
4. skill; dexterity; artistry; ingenuity
5. tea-ceremony proceduresSee also 点前 てまえ
6. I; meHumble (kenjougo)
7. youMale term or language, to one's inferior
8. Lead (leg)Lead refers to which set of legs, left or right, leads or... Read more
1. ago; since; before; previous
已前: Out-dated kanji.
1. youFamiliar language, Male term or language, formerly honorific, now oft. derog. term referring to an equal or inferior
- You shall be my daughter's husband.
2. presence (of a god, nobleman, etc.)Only applies to おまえ
お前 【おまい】、お前 【おめー】、お前 【おめえ】、御前 【おまえ】、御前 【おまい】、御前 【おめー】、御前 【おめえ】
1. natural; reasonable; obvious
- おも 。
- We took his success for granted.
2. usual; common; ordinary; commonplace; the norm
- You cannot solve this problem in an ordinary way.
当り前 【あたりまえ】、あたり前 【あたりまえ】、当りまえ 【あたりまえ】
1. face; official stance; public position or attitude (as opposed to private thoughts)See also 本音
- Although many pay lip service to the idea of affirmative action, in reality, very few minorities get hired.
2. ceremony for the erection of the framework of a houseOnly applies to 建前, Only applies to 建て前
建て前 【たてまえ】、立前 【たてまえ】、立て前 【たてまえ】
1. last (i.e. immediately preceding); previous; ex-; former
- The dismissal of foreign minister Tanaka is symbolic of the continuing political turmoil.
2. pre- (e.g. premodern)before the name of an era
3. beforeafter a noun
4. before; earlierDated term, See also 前 まえ
1. in front (of); before (e.g. a building)
- There is a small garden in front of my house.
2. before; earlier; previously; prior; ago; (minutes) to (the hour)
- Take your shoes off before you come into the room.
3. (the) front; frontal part; fore; head (e.g. of a line)
- すわ 。
- I sat in the front of the bus.
4. forward; ahead
- Look forward, please.
5. (in the) presence (of); in front (of someone)
- な 。
- Mary is not used to being made fun of in the presence of others.
6. previous (e.g. page); prior (e.g. engagement); first (e.g. half); former (e.g. example)
- ひっこ 。
- The previous owners of our house moved to Liverpool.
7. portion; helpingSee also 一人前, after a noun or the -masu stem of a verb
8. front (of one's body or clothing); breast (of a coat, kimono, etc.)
- あ 。
- On him the coat did not meet in the front.
9. privates; private parts
- かく ！
- まえ 、
- M-my goodness!? Cover-up! Cover yourself up!
10. criminal record; previous conviction; (a) priorColloquialism
1. pre-era; BC; BCE
2. Ante Christum NatumAnte Christum Natum (Latin for Before Christ Born), usual... Read more
1. pre-war days; before the war
2. Pre-warThe term pre-war or prewar (antebellum) is usually applie... Read more
1. in front of a station
1. natural; right; proper; just; reasonable; appropriate; deserved
- It is only natural that he be proud of his son.
2. naturally; as a matter of course; rightly; deservedly; justly; of course
- ひどいめ 。
- In the collision with a Volvo, our car naturally got the worst of it.
当前: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. presence of other people; (in) public; (in) front of others
1. before one's eyes; in front of one; under one's nose
2. immediate; imminent; around the corner
1. just before; on the verge of; on the brink of
2. just in front of; just ahead of