Words — 51 found
1. to stop (moving); to come to a stop
- と 。
- Then, the train screeched to a halt.
2. to stop (doing, working, being supplied); to come to a halt; to cease; to be stopped; to be suspended
- Partly because he could not receive enough information, Harper's description remains imperfect.
3. to alight; to perch on
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
留まる 【とまる】、停まる 【とまる】、駐まる 【とまる】、止る 【とまる】、留る 【とまる】
1. power outage; electricity outage; blackout; failure of electricity supply
2. Power outageA power outage (also power cut, blackout or power failure... Read more
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. retirement age
- He served without any serious errors until he reached retirement age.
2. years of service in a military rank before eligibility for promotionArchaism
3. RetirementRetirement is the point where a person stops employment c... Read more
1. to stop; to turn offesp. 止める, 停める
- もと 。
- The newspaper called for the government to stop inflation.
2. to parkesp. 止める, 停める
- This document is for your eyes only.
3. to prevent; to suppress (a cough); to hold back (tears); to hold (one's breath); to relieve (pain)esp. 止める, 停める
- くだ 。
- Please bear in mind what I said.
4. to stop (someone from doing something); to dissuade; to forbid; to prohibit
5. to notice; to be aware of; to concentrate on; to pay attention to; to remember; to bear in mindSee also 目を留める, See also 気に留める
- It's illegal to park your car here.
6. to fix (in place); to fasten; to tack; to pin; to nail; to button; to stapleesp. 留める
- とめ 。
- The wooden pieces are fastened with a peg.
7. to detain; to keep in custodyesp. 留める
留める 【とめる】、停める 【とめる】
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. stoppage; coming to a stop; halt; standstill
2. ceasing (movement, activity, etc.); suspension (of operations); interruption (e.g. of electricity supply); cutting off
3. suspension (of payment, licence, etc.); (temporary) prohibition; ban
4. suspension of music, dance, etc. as a sign of mourning for a prominent personArchaism, Only applies to ちょうじ
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. stagnation; tie-up; standstill; congestion; delay; accumulation; falling into arrears
1. armistice; ceasefire
2. CeasefireA ceasefire (or truce) is a temporary stoppage of a war i... Read more
1. suspension from school
2. Suspension (punishment)Suspension is a form of punishment that people receive fo... Read more
1. to remain; to abide; to stay (in the one place)Usually written using kana alone
- There is no advantage in staying here.
2. to be limited to; to be confined to; to only account forUsually written using kana alone, See also 占める
留まる 【とどまる】、停まる 【とどまる】、駐まる 【とどまる】
1. to stop; to stay (e.g. the night); to cease; to put an end to
2. to contain; to keep (in position, in place); to limit
- つづ 、
- We should keep every school open and every teacher in his job.
3. to record (e.g. a fact); to retainSee also 記憶にとどめる
- His courage went down in history.
止める 【とどめる】、停める 【とどめる】
1. stationary weather front
2. Stationary frontA stationary front is a boundary between two different ai... Read more
1. end of transmission (radio, television, telephony, etc.); closure of transmission
2. Off-the-airIn telecommunication, the term off-air or off-the-air has... Read more
1. railway stationArchaism
2. generic term for rail yards, junctions, railway stations, etc.