Words — 284 found
1. to hold (in one's hand); to take; to carry
- Shall I carry your coat?
2. to possess; to have; to own
- も 。
- I'm a holder of ABC Travel Insurance.
3. to maintain; to keep
4. to last; to be durable; to keep; to survive
5. to take charge of; to be in charge of
1. to waitOnly applies to 待つ
2. to await; to look forward to; to anticipate
3. to depend on; to needusu. in negative form
1. to stand; to rise; to stand upOnly applies to 立つ
- But among you stands one you do not know.
2. to find oneself (e.g. in a difficult position)Only applies to 立つ
- た 。
- The minister was in a fix over illegal dealings.
3. to depart (on a plane, train, etc.)usu. 発つ
- Ah, you're leaving tomorrow!
1. to be helpful; to be useful
役にたつ 【やくにたつ】、やくに立つ 【やくにたつ】
1. to hit; to strike; to knock; to beat; to punch; to slap; to tap; to bang; to clap; to poundalso written as 拍つ, 搏つ, 撲つ, 擣つ
- う 。
- I fell down the stairs and hit my back very hard.
2. to strike (noon, etc.); to sound (cymbals, etc.); to beat (a drum, etc.)
- It has just struck eight, hasn't it?
3. to beat (rhythmically, e.g. pulse, waves, etc.)
- う 。
- The rain whipped against the window.
4. to move; to impress; to touch
- We were awed into silence when we heard the story.
5. to drive in; to hammer in; to put in; to inject
6. to type; to send; to transmit
- はや 。
- The new secretary types faster than the old one.
7. to insert; to write in; to mark
8. to make (noodles, etc.); to prepare
9. to till (soil)
10. to sprinkle; to throw; to cast
11. to do; to carry out; to play; to perform; to engage in (gambling, etc.)
- I was hitting the slots, and before I knew it, it's this time already.
12. to pay (a deposit, etc.)
13. to visit (on a pilgrimage)
14. to line (a coat)
15. to bind (a criminal)
1. to win; to gain victory
克つ 【かつ】、贏つ 【かつ】
1. to be raised (e.g. child); to be brought up; to grow (up)
1. to shoot (at)usu. 撃つ
- He shot at me.
2. to attack; to defeat; to destroy; to avenge
討つ 【うつ】、射つ 【うつ】
射つ: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to pass (of time); to elapse
1. to be erected; to be built
1. to be conspicuous; to stand out
1. to keep; to preserve; to hold; to retain; to maintain; to sustain
2. to last; to endure; to keep well (food); to wear well; to be durable
もつ: Irregular kana usage.
1. to consist of; to be made up of; to be composed of
- なりた 。
- This class is made up of thirty-five pupils.
2. to be concluded (e.g. of an agreement); to hold true (e.g. of a theory); to be valid
- おも 。
- I think your theory does not hold water.
3. to be viable (of a business, lifestyle, etc.); to carry on; to keep going
- A bookstore in that location wouldn't make enough money to survive.
1. to be useful; to be helpful; to serve the purpose
1. to hit (a person); to strike; to beatUsually written using kana alone
2. to deliver (a speech); to give (an address)Usually written using kana alone
撃つ 【ぶつ】、撲つ 【ぶつ】
1. to fire (gun, arrow, questions, etc.); to shoot; to hit (e.g. baseball); to break wind
- はな 。
- He shot an arrow at the soldier.
2. to set free; to release; to let loose
- It is like letting a tiger run loose.
3. to emit (e.g. light); to give off (e.g. a scent)
- はな 。
- The garbage-can gave off a bad smell.
4. to send out (a person to carry out a duty)
5. to set fire toSee also 火を放つ, in the form 火を放つ
1. to be prominent; to be conspicuous
1. to begin a trip; to depart; to embark
2. to die; to pass away; to depart this life