Words — 199 found
1. opposite side; bottom; other side; side hidden from view; undersurface; reverse sideAntonym: 表 おもて
- There's gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe.
2. rear; back; behind
- There was a large garden behind the house.
3. lining; inside
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
4. in the shadows; behind the scenes; offstage; behind (someone's) back
- He can pull strings for you.
5. more (to something than meets the eye); hidden side (e.g. of one's personality); unknown circumstances; different side
6. proofSee also 裏付け
7. opposite (of a prediction, common sense, etc.); contrarySee also 裏をかく
8. inverse (of a hypothesis, etc.)
9. bottom (of an inning); last half (of an inning)Baseball, Antonym: 表 おもて
- いま 、
- This is the bottom of what inning?
1. to betray; to turn traitor to; to double-cross
1. backdoor; rear entrance; rear exit
2. unauthorized; illicit; illegalSee also 裏口入学 うらぐちにゅうがく
1. to turn inside out; to turn the other way; to turn (something) over
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. inside out; upside down
2. flip side; opposite; contrary; reverse
1. inside; within
- I have a dream that AIDS will be cured in my lifetime.
2. while (e.g. one is young); during; within (e.g. a day); in the course ofUsually written using kana alone
- The young boy got sticky fingers when he walked into stores.
3. among; amongst; (out) of; betweenUsually written using kana alone, as 〜のうち
- One of my sons is a teacher, and the other is a doctor.
4. in (secret, chaos, poverty, etc.); amidst; with (e.g. success)Usually written using kana alone, also 裡, 裏; as 〜のうちに after a noun representing a state or condition
- たず 。
- "Would you like to work for me, Tony?" asked Mr Wood.
5. within oneself; one's feelings; inner thoughts
7. one's home; one's familyUsually written using kana alone, Only applies to 内, See also 家 うち, also 家
8. my spouse; my husband; my wifeOnly applies to 内
9. signed on behalf of (husband's name) by his wifeOnly applies to 内, in a letter after the husband's name
10. I; meUsually written using kana alone, Kansai dialect, Only applies to 内, primarily used by women and children
11. imperial palace groundsArchaism, Only applies to 内
12. emperorArchaism, Only applies to 内
- He got paid under the table.
2. secret fund; slush fund; money for bribery
3. Slush fundA slush fund, colloquially, is an auxiliary monetary acco... Read more
1. attic; loft
2. AtticAn attic is a space found directly below the pitched roof... Read more
1. endorsement (of a cheque, bill, etc.)
- Please endorse this check.
2. verification of authenticity (written on the back of a scroll); certificate of authenticity
3. note written on the back of a scroll; comment
4. proof; confirmation; substantiation; corroboration
1. betrayer; traitor; turncoat; informer
1. support (e.g. for an argument); backing; proof; evidence; corroboration; substantiation; guarantee; security
裏づけ 【うらづけ】、裏付 【うらづけ】
裏付: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. someone working behind-the-scenes; scene shifterSee also 表方
2. lady consort (to a high personage)
1. front and back; inside and outside; two sides; both sides
- うらがえ 。
- You need to reverse your vest. It's inside-out!
2. duplicity; double-dealing; being two-facedOnly applies to ひょうり
- He is sincere about what he says.
1. back (side); reverse; other side
2. inside; background; dark side (e.g. of society); behind the scenes; beneath the surface
裏面 【りめん】、裡面 【りめん】
1. reverse side
2. opposite (of the expected)See also 裏目に出る
3. purl stitch (knitting)
1. side street (often parallel to a main street); back street; alley; alleyway
裏通り 【うらとおり】、裏通 【うらどおり】、裏通 【うらとおり】
うらとおり: Irregular kana usage. 裏通: Irregular okurigana usage. うらとおり: Irregular kana usage. 裏通: Irregular okurigana usage.