Words — 92 found
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, an alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, a song, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (somebody inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
懸かる 【かかる】、掛る 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
1. very hard; with utmost effort; with all one's might; for dear lifeYojijukugo (four character compound), See also 一所懸命
1. clue; lead; key; trail; scent; track
- There was no clue as to the identity of the murderer.
2. handhold; hold
- The downclimb here is also dangerous as there are no handholds.
手掛かり 【てがかり】、手掛り 【てがかり】、手懸かり 【てがかり】、手懸り 【てがかり】
2. money owed on an account; bill
4. proportion (of wholesale price, as tenths of list price)
5. in the midst ofafter a -masu stem
6. rest; rack; hangerafter a noun
懸け 【かけ】、掛 【かけ】、懸 【かけ】
1. to handle; to manage; to deal with; to work with; to have experience with
2. to rear; to look after
手掛ける 【てがける】、手懸ける 【てがける】
1. to keep in mind; to bear in mind; to try; to aim to do; to endeavor; to endeavour
心掛ける 【こころがける】、心懸ける 【こころがける】
1. to hang (something) on (something); to throw on (clothes)
- で 。
- She threw on a coat and went.
2. to hook; to catch; to trap; to ensnare
- I caught my sweater on that nail.
3. to cheat; to evade payment; to jump a bill
4. to drink (alcohol)
5. to splash someone (with)See also ぶっ掛ける
- He dashed us with water.
6. to hit the ball off the end of the batBaseball term
引っかける 【ひっかける】、引っ懸ける 【ひっかける】
1. to lean against; to recline on; to lean on
2. to rely on; to depend on
寄り掛かる 【よりかかる】、寄り掛る 【よりかかる】、倚り懸かる 【よりかかる】、凭り掛かる 【よりかかる】
凭り掛かる: Out-dated kanji.
1. pull-up (exercise); chin-up; chinning
- How many chin-ups can you do, Tom?
2. suspension; dangling; hanging
3. Pull-up (exercise)The term pull-up, when used to describe a form of exercis... Read more
1. eager; earnest; strenuous; fervent; assiduous; with utmost effort
1. bargaining; haggling
- You would make a good diplomat.
2. tactics; strategy
- We have to be ready not only for a straightforward test of strength, but also for a struggle in which every strategy comes into play.
駆引き 【かけひき】、掛け引き 【かけひき】、懸引き 【かけひき】、かけ引き 【かけひき】、駈引 【かけひき】
駈引: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. worry; anxiety; concern
気掛かり 【きがかり】、気掛り 【きがかり】、気懸かり 【きがかり】、気懸り 【きがかり】
1. putting one's life on the line; staking one's life (on); risking one's life; life and death situationSee also 命をかける
- Some of the photos have been taken at the risk of life.
命懸け 【いのちがけ】、命掛け 【いのちがけ】
命掛け: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to be very far apart from; to be remote; to be quite different from
掛離れる 【かけはなれる】、懸離れる 【かけはなれる】、懸け離れる 【かけはなれる】、かけ離れる 【かけはなれる】
1. to negotiate with; to talk over with; to haggle
掛合う 【かけあう】、かけ合う 【かけあう】、懸け合う 【かけあう】、懸合う 【かけあう】
1. (mental) attitude; way of thinking; attention; care; prudence; intention
心掛け 【こころがけ】、心懸け 【こころがけ】
1. very hard; with utmost effort; with all one's might; desperately; frantically; for dear life; all-out effort; sticking at living in and defending one placeYojijukugo (four character compound), See also 一生懸命
- With great effort he climbed up the tree.
2. sticking at living in one place