Words — 75 found
1. studying abroad
2. Study abroad in the United StatesStudying abroad is the act of a student pursuing educatio... Read more
1. to stop (moving); to come to a stop
- と 。
- Then, the train screeched to a halt.
2. to stop (doing, working, being supplied); to come to a halt; to cease; to be stopped; to be suspended
- Partly because he could not receive enough information, Harper's description remains imperfect.
3. to alight; to perch on
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
留まる 【とまる】、停まる 【とまる】、駐まる 【とまる】、止る 【とまる】、留る 【とまる】
1. overseas student; exchange student
1. absence; being away from home
2. house-sitting; house-sitter
- I went on the trip, leaving the house in her care.
3. being left unattended to (of one's studies, etc.); neglectingusu. as お留守になる
1. to stop; to turn offesp. 止める, 停める
- もと 。
- The newspaper called for the government to stop inflation.
2. to parkesp. 止める, 停める
- This document is for your eyes only.
3. to prevent; to suppress (a cough); to hold back (tears); to hold (one's breath); to relieve (pain)esp. 止める, 停める
- くだ 。
- Please bear in mind what I said.
4. to stop (someone from doing something); to dissuade; to forbid; to prohibit
- とめ 。
- The wooden pieces are fastened with a peg.
5. to notice; to be aware of; to concentrate on; to pay attention to; to remember; to bear in mindSee also 目を留める, See also 気に留める
- It's illegal to park your car here.
6. to fix (in place); to fasten; to tack; to pin; to nail; to button; to stapleesp. 留める
7. to detain; to keep in custodyesp. 留める
留める 【とめる】、停める 【とめる】
1. care-taking; house-sitting; house-watching; staying at home
- おこ 。
- The boy was cross at having to stay at home.
2. caretaker; house-sitter
1. to remain; to abide; to stay (in the one place)Usually written using kana alone
- There is no advantage in staying here.
2. to be limited to; to be confined to; to only account forUsually written using kana alone, See also 占める
留まる 【とどまる】、停まる 【とどまる】、駐まる 【とどまる】
1. to stop; to stay (e.g. the night); to cease; to put an end to
2. to contain; to keep (in position, in place); to limit
- つづ 、
- We should keep every school open and every teacher in his job.
3. to record (e.g. a fact); to retainSee also 記憶にとどめる
- His courage went down in history.
止める 【とどめる】、停める 【とどめる】
1. endlessly; ceaselesslyUsually written using kana alone
止め処なく 【とめどなく】、止めど無く 【とめどなく】、止め処無く 【とめどなく】、とめど無く 【とめどなく】、留処無く 【とめどなく】
1. repeating a year (at school); staying in the same class for another year
1. (a) stop (e.g. in a timber joint, or at the end of a kanji stroke)
- たと 、ペパーバーグ
- み 。
- For example, Pepperberg would show Alex an object, such as a green wooden peg or a red paper triangle.
2. remaining (e.g. poste-restante)
3. forty-five degree angleOnly applies to 留め
1. answering machine; answer phone
2. Answering machineThe answering machine, answerphone or message machine, al... Read more
1. (in) one's absence
- I'd like you to look after my dog.
留守のあいだ 【るすのあいだ】、留守の間 【るすのま】
1. stop peg; toggle; tack
- He might, however, have seen a wooden peg of a different size or color.
留めくぎ 【とめくぎ】、止め釘 【とめくぎ】、留め釘 【とめくぎ】