Words — 55 found
Common word JLPT N1 Links
2. money owed on an account; bill
3. hanger; holder; rest; rack; peg; hook; standafter a noun
- He hung his coat on a hook.
4. in the process of (doing); midway through; half-(done)Usually written using kana alone, after -masu stem of verb
5. on the verge of; just about toUsually written using kana alone, after -masu stem of verb
7. wholesale price as a proportion of the list price (in tenths)
懸け 【かけ】、掛 【かけ】、懸 【かけ】
1. -cladafter an article of clothing
2. in the midst ofUsually written using kana alone, after a -masu stem
3. tenths (e.g. wholesale price, as tenths of retail price)after a number in the ichi, ni counting system
4. times (i.e. multiplied by)after a number in the hitotsu, futatsu counting system
5. able-to-seat (of a chair, etc.)after a number of people
- This is a two-seater sofa using stain-resistant artificial leather.
懸け 【がけ】、掛 【がけ】、懸 【がけ】
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, song, etc.); to use (a device, implement, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (someone inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
掛る 【かかる】、懸かる 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
懸る: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. pull-up (exercise); chin-up; chinning
- How many chin-ups can you do, Tom?
2. suspension; dangling; hanging
3. Pull-up (exercise)The term pull-up, when used to describe a form of exercis... Read more
1. eager; earnest; strenuous; fervent; assiduous; with utmost effort
1. bargaining; haggling
2. tactics; strategy; maneuvering; diplomacy
- にはおよ 。
- I am no match for him in diplomatic shrewdness.
3. (tactical) advance or retreat of troopsorig. meaning
かけ引き 【かけひき】、駆引き 【かけひき】、懸引き 【かけひき】
懸引き: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to be very far apart from; to be remote; to be quite different from
掛け離れる 【かけはなれる】、懸け離れる 【かけはなれる】、掛離れる 【かけはなれる】、懸離れる 【かけはなれる】
掛け離れる: Rarely-used kanji form. 懸け離れる: Rarely-used kanji form. 掛離れる: Rarely-used kanji form. 懸離れる: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to negotiate (with someone about); to talk over (something with); to tackle someone (about); to haggle; to bargain
2. to throw on each other; to splash (water) on each other; to pour on each other
かけ合う 【かけあう】、掛けあう 【かけあう】、掛合う 【かけあう】、懸け合う 【かけあう】、懸合う 【かけあう】
1. negotiations; bargaining
2. dialogue; duet
懸け合い 【かけあい】、掛合い 【かけあい】、懸合い 【かけあい】、懸合 【かけあい】、かけ合い 【かけあい】
懸合: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. starting (e.g. of an engine); engaging (e.g. of a lock)
2. expenses; costsOnly applies to 掛かり, Only applies to 掛り
3. attack (esp. a corner approach)Go (game), esp. カカリ
4. barb (of a fish hook)
5. charge; duty; person in charge; official; clerkOnly applies to 掛かり, Only applies to 掛り, See also 係 かかり, esp. for government offices, railways, etc.
掛り 【かかり】、懸かり 【かかり】、懸り 【かかり】、カカリ
1. Eurasian jay (Garrulus glandarius)Usually written using kana alone
2. Eurasian JayThe Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius) is a species of bi... Read more
1. kakekotoba; pivot word; play on words (esp. in poetry); pun
2. KakekotobaA Kakekotoba or pivot word is a rhetorical device used in... Read more
掛け言葉 【かけことば】、懸詞 【かけことば】、掛け詞 【かけことば】、懸け詞 【かけことば】
1. round plaque carrying the image of a Buddha (usually hammered from behind) used in temples and shrines
1. temporary (suspension) bridge; makeshift bridge
2. bridge (between cultures, generations, etc.); link; go-between; intermediary
3. walkway (constructed on a cliff face); plank path
掛け橋 【かけはし】、かけ橋 【かけはし】、架け橋 【かけはし】、懸橋 【かけはし】、掛橋 【かけはし】、梯 【かけはし】、桟 【かけはし】