Words — 15 found
1. that is to say; so that meansUsually written using kana alone
- Beautiful women die young - or so the saying goes. If so then my wife is going to live a long life.
1. or rather (say); or better (say); or perhaps I should say; or, how should I put it; I meanUsually written using kana alone
- くせ 」
- かわい ・・・
- You were always a perfect 'superhuman' to an infuriating extent, and so that 'habit' was actually one of your cute, or rather charming, attributes.
1. something like ...; something called ...Usually written using kana alone
- This is what we call "tempura".
という物 【というもの】、と言う物 【というもの】
1. it is not possible (to, that); there is no such thing asUsually written using kana alone
- There is no shortage of ideas.
1. because ...; for ...; the reason being ...Usually written using kana alone
- おも 。
- Conceited people take it for granted that they are superior to others.
2. as for ...; when it comes to ...; regarding ...; how about ...Usually written using kana alone
- ほう 。
- You had better put the book back on the desk, for the owner will come back there.
1. even though; despite; whenUsually written using kana alone
- Strange to say, all the lights in the house were on, though no one was at home.
1. when it comes to ...; if one were to speak of ...; when one hears ...Usually written using kana alone
- とい 、
- As far housing goes, it is very poor in Japan.
2. by ... you mean ...; when you say ... you mean that ...; so that meansUsually written using kana alone, sometimes in sentence-initial position
3. whenever ...; if it's ... then (without fail)Usually written using kana alone, indicates that what follows is inevitable
1. the point of ...; the place where ...; the part where ...; a position described as ...Usually written using kana alone
- It's not yet what you'd call finished but we're starting to get pretty good results.
2. a place called ...; places known as ...Usually written using kana alone
- There's a place called Kuchiwa in Hiroshima.
3. I would say ...; ... is how I'd put it; I suppose that ...; it's the case that ...; the situation is that ...Usually written using kana alone, at sentence end
- はら 、
- If we pay the rent to the landlady, we won't have any money for food; we are between the devil and the deep blue sea.
4. at the most; no more thanUsually written using kana alone
- She's at most 20 years old.
と言うところ 【というところ】、と言う所 【というところ】、と言うところ 【とゆうところ】、と言う所 【とゆうところ】、とゆう所 【とゆうところ】
1. this is why; this means; it is the case thatUsually written using kana alone
- Gold will not buy everything.
1. I've heard that ...; rumour has it that ...Usually written using kana alone, indicates hearsay
- I hear that Bob and Lucy have broken up.
2. it appears as if ...Usually written using kana alone, expresses conjecture about another person's feelings or mindset
1. that is to say; so that meansUsually written using kana alone, See also と言うことは