Words — 3366 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)呑む often means swallowing whole, gulping, etc.
- Must I take this medicine?
2. to smoke (tobacco)See also 喫む, also written 喫む
3. to engulf; to overwhelm
4. to keep down; to suppress
5. to accept (e.g. demand, condition)
6. to make light of; to conceal
7. DrinkingDrinking is the act of ingesting water or other drinks th... Read more
呑む 【のむ】、飮む 【のむ】
飮む: Out-dated kanji.
1. to see; to look; to watch; to view; to observe
- Let's begin with the fifth line on page 10.
2. to examine; to look over; to assess; to check; to judge
- My head is swimming, so I'll try writing any-old stuff without any deep thought.
3. to look after; to attend to; to take care of; to keep an eye onSee also 看る
- I can't look after my parents and such either.
4. to experience; to meet with (misfortune, success, etc.)
- い ？
- Would you like to take in a movie?
5. to try ...; to have a go at ...; to give ... a tryUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- We should try to understand one another.
6. to see (that) ...; to find (that) ...Usually written using kana alone, as 〜てみると, 〜てみたら, 〜てみれば, etc.
観る 【みる】、視る 【みる】
1. to be aware of; to know; to be conscious of; to cognize; to cognise
2. to notice; to feel
3. to understand; to comprehend; to grasp
4. to remember; to be acquainted with (a procedure)
5. to experience; to go through; to learn
6. to be acquainted with (a person); to get to know
7. to concern
1. to talk; to speak; to converse; to chat
- はな 。
- John talked with his customer on the phone.
2. to tell; to explain; to narrate; to mention; to describe; to discuss
- Please tell me about your hobbies.
3. to speak (a language)
- はな 。
- English is spoken in Canada.
1. to buy; to purchasein western Japan, 買う conjugates euphonically as こうた, こうて, etc.
- John claimed that the dishonest salesman had tricked him into buying a useless piece of machinery.
2. to value; to have a high opinion
- か 。
- We fully appreciate his excellence as a skier.
3. to stir; to provoke; to draw upon oneself
- His constant insults aroused my anger.
1. to read
2. to countSee also さばを読む, now mostly used in idioms
3. to guess; to predict; to read (someone's thoughts); to see (e.g. into someone's heart); to divine
1. to take; to pick up; to harvest; to earn; to win; to choose
- You'd better eat everything that's on your plate.
2. to stealSee also 盗る
3. to eat; to have (a meal)See also 摂る
- You should drink a lot of liquid.
4. to remove (one's glasses, etc.)also written as 脱る
5. to compete (in sumo, cards, etc.); to play
1. to use (a thing, method, etc.); to make use of; to put to use
- "Can I use your dictionary?" "Yes, here you are."
2. to use (a person, animal, puppet, etc.); to employ; to handle; to manage; to manipulateSee also 人使い
- It has become common practise to employ foreigners working abroad from Asian countries as maids.
3. to use (time, money, etc.); to spend; to consume
- つか 。
- Don't use all the hot water.
4. to use (language); to speakSee also 言葉遣い
1. to waitOnly applies to 待つ
2. to await; to look forward to; to anticipate
3. to depend on; to needusu. in negative form
1. to make; to produce; to manufacture; to build; to construct造る usu. for large-scale building, manufacturing, etc.; 創る usu. for creating
- つく 。
- Wherever he may go, he is sure to make friends.
2. to prepare (food); to brew (alcohol)
- つく 。
- You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
3. to raise; to grow; to cultivate; to trainSee also 野菜を作る
- It's much cheaper to live on grains and vegetables you can grow in your garden.
4. to till
5. to draw up (a document); to make out; to prepare; to write
- You should try to produce grammatical sentences.
6. to create (an artistic work, etc.); to compose
- つく 、
- Desktop publishing lets you produce books quickly and cheaply. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
7. to coin (a phrase); to organize; to organise; to establish; to found
8. to have (a child)
9. to make up (one's face, etc.)
10. to fabricate (an excuse, etc.)
11. to give a (false) appearance; to feign (a smile, etc.); to put on a show of emotion
12. to form (a line, etc.)
- おも 。
- I insist that exceptions not be made.
13. to set (a record)
14. to commit (a sin, etc.)
造る 【つくる】、創る 【つくる】
1. to take out; to get out
- You can withdraw some money out of the bank, if you need any.
2. to put out; to reveal; to show
- I want to remain anonymous in this.
3. to submit (e.g. thesis); to turn in
- Read over your paper before you hand it in.
4. to publish; to make publicSee also あぶり出す あぶりだす
- ひ （
- げつようび ）
- くだ 。
- We'll release the final agenda on the morning of Monday, January 20, so please reply quickly.
5. to send (e.g. letter)See also 手紙を出す
- Sending manuscript after manuscript paid off. A magazine finally published my work.
6. to produce (a sound); to start (fire)See also 声を出す
- だ 。
- The government issued the following statement.
7. to serve (food)
- だ 。
- They serve excellent food here.
8. ... out (e.g. to jump out, to carry out)See also 飛び出す とびだす, after the -masu stem of a verb
- How long have you had this pain?
9. to begin ...; to start to ...; to burst into ...See also 歌いだす うたいだす, after the -masu stem of a verb
1. to wear (in modern Japanese, from the shoulders down); to put on
- "You had better not wear the red dress." "Why not?"
2. to bear (guilt, etc.)
- The man was branded as a traitor.
1. to call out (to); to call; to invoke
- よ 、
- He will come if you call him.
2. to summon (a doctor, etc.)
- い 。
- You invited me to your party, but I can't make it this time.
3. to invite
- たず 。
- "Are you sure you want to call the police?" I asked her.
4. to designate; to name; to brand
- よ 。
- This movie has won great popularity.
5. to garner (support, etc.); to gather
- You will be called Cephas.
6. to take as one's wifeArchaism, See also 娶る
喚ぶ 【よぶ】、招ぶ 【よぶ】
招ぶ: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, an alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, a song, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (somebody inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
1. to sing
- What did John sing on the stage?
2. to sing (one's praises in a poem, etc.); to compose a poem; to recite a poemesp. 歌う, 詠う
唄う 【うたう】、謡う 【うたう】、詠う 【うたう】、唱う 【うたう】
1. to request; to beg; to ask
- May I request a favour of you?
2. to call; to order; to reserve
- とど 。
- I'm still waiting for my order.
3. to entrust to
- Take care of Mr. Tanaka for me!
4. to rely onesp. 恃む
5. please; please doColloquialism
恃む 【たのむ】、憑む 【たのむ】
1. to borrow; to have a loan
- May I borrow this book?
2. to rent; to hire
- I want to rent an apartment with two rooms.
1. to wash; to cleanse; to rinse
- When you wash the bag, please do not put it in the washing machine.
2. to inquire into; to investigate
3. to purify (one's heart)
4. to lave (e.g. shore); to wash over (e.g. deck); to sweep