Words — 253 found
1. to do; to carry out; to performUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- He said, "I will say nothing more, because I hate making excuses."
2. to cause to become; to make (into); to turn (into)Usually written using kana alone
- They will help you to get warm.
3. to serve as; to act as; to work asUsually written using kana alone
- かえ 。
- He used a headache as an excuse for leaving early.
4. to wear (clothes, a facial expression, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Don't make such a sour face.
5. to judge as being; to view as being; to think of as; to treat as; to use asUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする,〜とする
6. to decide on; to chooseUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする
- All right. I'll take it.
7. to be sensed (of a smell, noise, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, as 〜がする
- This soup smells horrible. Do you think it's gone off?
8. to be (in a state, condition, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
9. to be worth; to costUsually written using kana alone
10. to pass (of time); to elapseUsually written using kana alone
- しゅっぱつ 。
- He is leaving in three days.
11. to place, or raise, person A to a post or status BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
12. to transform A to B; to make A into B; to exchange A for BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
13. to make use of A for B; to view A as B; to handle A as if it were BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
14. to feel A about BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
15. verbalizing suffix (applies to nouns noted in this dictionary with the part of speech "vs")Usually written using kana alone
17. to be just about to; to be just starting to; to try to; to attempt toUsually written using kana alone, See also とする, as 〜うとする,〜ようとする
為る: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. to be contrary; to run counter (to); to conflict (with); to disagree (with)
1. to try to ...; to be about to do ...after the volitional form of verb
- み 。
- Dick showed a willingness to help us.
2. to decide to ...after the dictionary form of verb
- おお 。
- In many parts of the world it is illegal to shoot wild game such as deer, moose or pheasant.
3. to take as; to treat as; to regard as
- This heater burns gas.
4. to use for
- If I had to define life in a word, it would be: Life is creation.
5. to suppose that (such) is the case; to assume
- Those people appreciate clarity.
6. to decide that; to think that
- She was dressed fit to kill.
7. to make into; to change into
- This cheese has a sharp taste.
8. to feel (e.g. after sound symbolism or psychological experience word); to look; to feel like
9. to intend; to have the intentionwith を目的
1. to ask a question; to ask questions
- Don't ask such hard questions.
1. to feel (as if); to have a feeling (that); to have a hunch (that); to get a sense (that)
2. to feel like doing; to want to doafter a verb; usu. in the negative
1. to hear; to hear by chance; to hear by accident; to catch (the sound)
1. to lay the blame on; to put the fault onUsually written using kana alone
1. to make clear; to clarify; to disclose; to make public
1. to render futile; to bring to naught; to waste; to not make good use of
1. to count on; to expect; to put confidence in; to trust in; to depend onUsually written using kana alone
1. to make fun of; to look down on; to make light of
1. to behave well; to mind one's mannersSee also 行儀
- I wish Jim would behave himself.
1. to make good; to improveUsually written using kana alone
- Figuring a way to make a dollar comes ahead of thinking about how to do the job better.
2. to do oftenUsually written using kana alone
- This is a mistake students are apt to make.
3. to be kind to; to treat well; to do wellUsually written using kana alone
- My mother looks after the plants well.
善くする 【よくする】、能くする 【よくする】
1. to taste; to eat; to drink
- くち 。
- I have eaten nothing for the past three days.
2. to speak (of); to refer (to); to say
- Don't talk about such a thing.