Words — 677 found
- うれ 。
- I am happy to hear your voice.
2. singing (of a bird); chirping (of an insect); hoot
- たの 。
- The Japanese enjoy the songs of birds and insects.
3. voice; opinion (as expressed in words); view; wish; attitude; will
5. sense (of something's arrival); feelingusu. as ～の声を聞く
6. voice; voiced soundlinguistics terminology
7. Human voiceThe human voice consists of sound made by a human being u... Read more
聲: Out-dated kanji.
1. woman; female
- The girl has grown into a slender woman.
2. feminine genderlinguistics terminology, Only applies to じょせい
3. WomanA woman, pl: women is a female human. The term woman is u... Read more
1. man; male
- こた 。
- He asked the men, "Would you share a room?" "Certainly, we will," answered the three men.
2. masculine genderlinguistics terminology
3. ManIn English, lower case man (pl. men) refers to an adult h... Read more
1. grammar; syntaxlinguistics terminology
2. GrammarIn linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules th... Read more
1. time; hour; moment刻 signifies a time of day; 秋 signifies an important time
- His voice broke when he was twelve.
2. occasion; caseOnly applies to 時
- You cannot be too careful when you drive a car.
3. chance; opportunity; seasonOnly applies to 時
4. the times; the age; the dayOnly applies to 時
5. tenselinguistics terminology, Only applies to 時
6. AutumnAutumn or fall is one of the four temperate seasons. Autu... Read more
刻 【とき】、秋 【とき】
1. languagelinguistics terminology
2. LanguageLanguage may refer either to the specifically human capac... Read more
言語 【ごんご】、言語 【げんきょ】
げんきょ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. the past; bygone days; the previous
2. a past (i.e. a personal history one would prefer remained secret); one's past
3. past (tense); preterit; preteritelinguistics terminology
4. previous lifeBuddhist term
5. PastMost generally, the past is a term used to indicate the t... Read more
1. practical use; application
- かつよう 。
- As a politician, he makes utmost use of his acting ability.
2. conjugation; declension; inflectionlinguistics terminology
- ふかけつ 、
- かつよう 。
- Conjugation of irregular verbs - essential for those learning English.
3. Grammatical conjugationIn linguistics, conjugation is the creation of derived fo... Read more
1. section (i.e. of text); sentence; passage; paragraph
- He explained the literal meaning of the phrase.
2. phraselinguistics terminology
- You can omit the preposition in this phrase.
3. verse (of 5 or 7 mora in Japanese poetry; of 4, 5, or 7 characters in Chinese poetry)
4. haiku; first 17 morae of a renga, etc.
5. maxim; saying; idiom; expression
6. PhraseIn everyday speech, a phrase may refer to any group of wo... Read more
1. verblinguistics terminology
2. VerbA verb, from the Latin verbum meaning word, is a word tha... Read more
1. writing; composition; essay; article; prose; (writing) style
- His writing is very subjective.
2. sentenceSee also 文 ぶん
- ひっしゃ 、
- First, in order to get a feel for your favourite author's work, transcribe and copy in full.
文章 【もんじょう】、文章 【もんぞう】
もんじょう: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. もんぞう: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to work; to labor; to labour
- はたら 。
- He worked more than five hours on end.
2. to function; to operate; to be effective; to work (i.e. ... works); to come into play
- はたら 。
- The switch didn't work on time.
3. to commit (e.g. a crime); to perpetrate; to do; to act; to practise; to practice
4. to be conjugatedlinguistics terminology
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. literary style
2. form of (written) language (e.g. classical, modern)
3. Style (fiction)In fiction, style is the manner, that is the codified ges... Read more
1. dialectlinguistics terminology
2. DialectThe term dialect (from the Greek word dialektos, Διάλεκτο... Read more
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. pronounlinguistics terminology
- せつぞくし +
- だいめいし 」
- Relative pronouns perform as 'conjunction + pronoun'.
2. synonym; classic example; pattern; byword; representative
- The name Cleopatra has become a byword for a beautiful woman.
3. PronounIn linguistics and grammar, a pronoun is a pro-form that ... Read more
1. nounlinguistics terminology
2. NounPut simply, a noun is a word used to name a person, place... Read more
なことば: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. adjective; i-adjective (in Japanese)linguistics terminology
2. AdjectiveIn grammar, an adjective is a 'describing' word; the main... Read more
1. adverblinguistics terminology
2. AdverbAn adverb is a part of speech that changes the meaning of... Read more
1. honorific; term of respect; polite expression; honorific languagelinguistics terminology
2. Honorific speech in JapaneseThe Japanese language has many honorifics, parts of speec... Read more
1. to receive; to get
- うけ 。
- People of 65 and above get a pension from the government.
2. to catch (e.g. a ball)
3. to be struck by (wind, waves, sunlight, etc.)
4. to sustain (damage); to incur (a loss); to suffer (an injury); to feel (influence)
- う 。
- We received an eviction notice.
5. to undergo (e.g. surgery); to take (a test); to accept (a challenge)
- We gladly accept your offer.
6. to be given (e.g. life, talent)esp. 受ける, 享ける
7. to find funny; to find humorous; to be amused (by)Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる
8. to follow; to succeed; to be descended fromesp. 受ける, 享ける
9. to face (south, etc.)
10. to be modified bylinguistics terminology, esp. 受ける, 承ける
11. to obtain (a pawned item, etc.) by paying a feeSee also 請け出す, esp. 請ける, now primarily used in compound words
12. to be well-received; to become popular; to go down wellUsually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる, うける
- My joke went over very well.
請ける 【うける】、承ける 【うける】、享ける 【うける】、ウケる