Words — 55 found
1. central; main; leading; head; chiefbefore a role, occupation, etc.
2. just (done)Usually written using kana alone, See also 焼きたて, See also 生まれ立て, after -masu stem of verb; indicates that the action has just been completed
- He was then fresh from college.
3. counter for consecutive losses
1. to stand up; to put up; to set up; to erect; to raisealso written as 起てる
- た 。
- The dog pricked up his ears at the sound.
2. to thrust into; to bury into; to dig into
- た 。
- The cat dug its claws into my hand.
3. to make (a noise); to start (a rumour); to raise (a cloud of dust, etc.); to cause
- He is liable to shout when angry.
4. to make; to establish; to set up; to develop; to formulate
- じっこうにうつ 。
- He carried out the plan he had made in detail.
5. to put up (a political candidate); to make (one's leader)
- We delegated him to negotiate with them.
6. to treat with respect; to give (someone) their due; to make (someone) look good; to avoid embarrassing (someone)
- I have to do right by him.
7. to sharpen; to make clear
8. to shut; to closeSee also 閉てる
9. to make tea (matcha); to perform the tea ceremonySee also 点てる
10. to divide by
11. to do ... vigorouslyafter the -masu stem of a verb
1. face; official stance; public position or attitude (as opposed to private thoughts)See also 本音
- Although many pay lip service to the idea of affirmative action, in reality, very few minorities get hired.
2. ceremony for the erection of the framework of a houseOnly applies to 建前, Only applies to 建て前
建て前 【たてまえ】、立前 【たてまえ】、立て前 【たてまえ】
1. to put back up; to stand back up
2. to restore (to former strength); to revive (e.g. the economy); to reorganize; to rearrange; to put right; to recover; to put back on its feet
- We need a new leader to pull our company together.
3. to make again (a plan, policy, etc.); to reformulate; to revise
立直す 【たてなおす】、立てなおす 【たてなおす】
Common word Links
1. succession; continuation; series; sequence
たて続け 【たてつづけ】、立てつづけ 【たてつづけ】
1. to be crowded (with); to be packedSee also 建て込む
2. to be piled up (of work); to be busy (with)
1. to barricade oneself in; to hold (a fort, etc.); to shut oneself up; to be besieged; to dig in
立て篭もる 【たてこもる】、立て籠もる 【たてこもる】、立て籠る 【たてこもる】、立て篭る 【たてこもる】、楯籠る 【たてこもる】、立籠る 【たてこもる】
立籠る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. fitting (e.g. door, window); fit
2. succession; continuation; series; sequenceOnly applies to 立て付け, Only applies to 立付け, Only applies to 立てつけ, See also 立て続け たてつづけ
建て付け 【たてつけ】、建付け 【たてつけ】、建てつけ 【たてつけ】、立付け 【たてつけ】、立てつけ 【たてつけ】
1. eloquence; volubility; (like) water on a standing boardIdiomatic expression, Antonym: 横板に雨垂れ
Common word Links
1. bulletin board; notice board; billboard; roadside sign; sign on a post, usu. wooden, esp. containing information about a sight, warning, congratulations, etc.See also 高札
1. to pay for another; to pay someone else's debt as a loan to him; to make temporary payment on a person's behalf
1. advancing money; temporary payment for someone else; payment on behalf of another party, with the expectation of being reimbursed later
立替え 【たてかえ】、立替 【たてかえ】
立替: Irregular okurigana usage.