1. to stand up; to put up; to set up; to erect; to raisealso written as 起てる
- た 。
- The dog pricked up his ears at the sound.
2. to thrust into; to bury into; to dig into
- た 。
- The cat dug its claws into my hand.
3. to make (a noise); to start (a rumour); to raise (a cloud of dust, etc.); to cause
- He is liable to shout when angry.
4. to make; to establish; to set up; to develop; to formulate
- じっこうにうつ 。
- He carried out the plan he had made in detail.
5. to put up (a political candidate); to make (one's leader)
- We delegated him to negotiate with them.
6. to treat with respect; to give (someone) their due; to make (someone) look good; to avoid embarrassing (someone)
- I have to do right by him.
7. to sharpen; to make clear
8. to shut; to closeSee also 閉てる
9. to make tea (matcha); to perform the tea ceremonySee also 点てる
10. to divide by
11. to do ... vigorouslyafter the -masu stem of a verb
Log in to talk about this word.