Words — 71 found
1. to stop (moving); to come to a stop
- と 。
- Then, the train screeched to a halt.
2. to stop (doing, working, being supplied); to come to a halt; to cease; to be stopped; to be suspended
- Partly because he could not receive enough information, Harper's description remains imperfect.
3. to alight; to perch on
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
留まる 【とまる】、停まる 【とまる】、駐まる 【とまる】、止る 【とまる】、留る 【とまる】
1. to stop; to turn offesp. 止める, 停める
- もと 。
- The newspaper called for the government to stop inflation.
2. to parkesp. 止める, 停める
- This document is for your eyes only.
3. to prevent; to suppress (a cough); to hold back (tears); to hold (one's breath); to relieve (pain)esp. 止める, 停める
- くだ 。
- Please bear in mind what I said.
4. to stop (someone from doing something); to dissuade; to forbid; to prohibit
5. to notice; to be aware of; to concentrate on; to pay attention to; to remember; to bear in mindSee also 目を留める, See also 気に留める
- It's illegal to park your car here.
6. to fix (in place); to fasten; to tack; to pin; to nail; to button; to stapleesp. 留める
- とめ 。
- The wooden pieces are fastened with a peg.
7. to detain; to keep in custodyesp. 留める
留める 【とめる】、停める 【とめる】
1. to cease; to stop; to be over
已む 【やむ】、罷む 【やむ】
已む: Rarely-used kanji form. 罷む: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. cannot be helped; unavoidable
止むを得ない 【やむをえない】、已むを得ない 【やむをえない】
已むを得ない: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to stop (an activity); to cease; to discontinue; to end; to quitUsually written using kana alone, Only applies to 止める, Only applies to 已める
2. to cancel; to abandon; to give up; to abolish; to abstain; to refrainUsually written using kana alone
已める 【やめる】、廃める 【やめる】
1. to remain; to abide; to stay (in the one place)Usually written using kana alone
- There is no advantage in staying here.
2. to be limited to; to be confined to; to only account forUsually written using kana alone, See also 占める
留まる 【とどまる】、停まる 【とどまる】、駐まる 【とどまる】
1. to stop; to stay (e.g. the night); to cease; to put an end to
2. to contain; to keep (in position, in place); to limit
- つづ 、
- We should keep every school open and every teacher in his job.
3. to record (e.g. a fact); to retainSee also 記憶にとどめる
- His courage went down in history.
止める 【とどめる】、停める 【とどめる】
Common word Links
1. endlessly; ceaselesslyUsually written using kana alone
止め処なく 【とめどなく】、止めど無く 【とめどなく】、止め処無く 【とめどなく】、とめど無く 【とめどなく】、留処無く 【とめどなく】
1. (a) stop (e.g. in a timber joint, or at the end of a kanji stroke)
- たと 、ペパーバーグ
- み 。
- For example, Pepperberg would show Alex an object, such as a green wooden peg or a red paper triangle.
2. remaining (e.g. poste-restante)
3. forty-five degree angleOnly applies to 留め
1. out of necessity; with no other option; perforce; unavoidably; reluctantly; unwillinglyUsually written using kana alone
已む無く 【やむなく】、止むなく 【やむなく】、已むなく 【やむなく】
1. unavoidably; inevitably; necessarily; reluctantly; against one's will
止むを得ず 【やむをえず】、已むを得ず 【やむをえず】
1. stop peg; toggle; tack
- He might, however, have seen a wooden peg of a different size or color.
留めくぎ 【とめくぎ】、止め釘 【とめくぎ】、留め釘 【とめくぎ】
1. unavoidably; inevitably; necessarily; reluctantly; against one's willUsually written using kana alone, See also 止むを得ず
- おこな 。
- She reluctantly went by herself.
止む得ず 【やむえず】、已む得ず 【やむえず】
1. stopping at; going no further thanSee also 止まり とまり
- With that sort of attitude you'll never get past the honourable-mention prizes.
止り 【どまり】、留まり 【どまり】、留り 【どまり】