Words — 4 found
1. to answer; to reply
1. to respond; to answer; to meet (e.g. demands, expectations)Only applies to 応える, Only applies to 報える
- You ought to live up to your parents' hopes.
2. to affect; to take a toll; to strike home; to have an effect on; to be hard on someone (e.g. heat, cold, work, illness, etc.); to be a strainSee also 堪える, sometimes 堪える
- It is beginning to tell on him.
報える 【こたえる】、徹える 【こたえる】
1. to bear; to stand; to endure; to put up with
- I can not stand that noise.
2. to support; to withstand; to resist; to brave
- Does this house withstand earthquakes?
3. to be fit for; to be equal to
1. to bear; to stand; to endure; to put up withUsually written using kana alone, See also 耐える たえる
2. to restrain; to control; to keep a check onUsually written using kana alone
3. to forgive; to put up with; to pardonUsually written using kana alone
怺える 【こらえる】、堪える 【こたえる】
怺える: Rarely-used kanji form.