Words — 1086 found
1. (doing) various things; (doing) this and thatUsually written using kana alone
- There were some unsavory rumors about him.
2. being apt to; being prone to; tending toUsually written using kana alone
- We tend to forget that exercise is a key to good health.
3. at any rate; anyhow; anywayUsually written using kana alone
4. all sorts of (negative things); variousUsually written using kana alone
5. things that do not exist; rabbit hornsBuddhist term, Idiomatic expression, Only applies to 兎角, See also 亀毛兎角
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. look; appearance
2. spectacle; sight
3. observation meditationBuddhist term
4. outlook on ...; view of ...
- This is Japan as Americans see it.
- あお 。
- He looked up at the sky.
2. heavenOnly applies to てん
- Marriage is made in heaven.
3. svarga (heaven-like realm visited as a stage of death and rebirth)Buddhist term, Only applies to てん
4. deva (divine being of Buddhism)Buddhist term, Only applies to てん
5. TianTian is one of the oldest Chinese terms for the cosmos an... Read more
天 【あめ】、天 【あま】
1. omen; sign of luck
- きよ 。
- We sprinkle salt to ward off bad luck.
2. origin; history; causation
3. dependent arising; doctrine that everything has a cause and there is nothing that arises out of nothingBuddhist term, Abbreviation, See also 因縁生起, orig. meaning
4. PratītyasamutpādaThe doctrine of dependent origination or dependent arisin... Read more
いんえん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. intake (e.g. of salt); ingestion
- Later, in high school, I would take chemistry the way I took vitamin pills.
2. absorption (e.g. of new knowledge); adoption (e.g. of foreign culture); assimilation
3. reception and protectionBuddhist term
4. IngestionIngestion is the consumption of a substance by an organis... Read more
1. elder; senior
2. senior monkBuddhist term
3. dean; presbyter; patriarch
4. Zhang Lu
1. washing; cleansing; cleaning; laundering
2. cleansing (one's mind and body)Buddhist term
3. WashingWashing is one way of cleaning, namely with water and oft... Read more
1. zazen (seated Zen meditation, usu. in a cross-legged position)Buddhist term
2. ZazenIn Zen Buddhism, zazen is a meditative discipline practit... Read more
JLPT N3 Links
1. density; thickness
- The entire body is densely covered with hair.
- That politician has been trafficking in drugs for years.
3. minute; fine
4. esoteric Buddhism; secret Buddhist teachingsBuddhist term, Abbreviation, See also 密教 みっきょう
1. worldly desires; evil passions; appetites of the flesh
2. klesha (polluting thoughts such as greed, hatred and delusion, which result in suffering)Buddhist term
3. Kleshas (Buddhism)Kleshas, in Buddhism, are mental states that cloud the mi... Read more
煩惱: Out-dated kanji.
1. the next world; the hereafter; life after deathBuddhist term
2. AfterlifeThe afterlife (also referred to as life after death, the ... Read more
1. expedient; means; instrument
- The big promotion of that company's stock was just a cover-up to hide their impending bankruptcy.
2. upaya (skillful means, methods of teaching)Buddhist term
3. UpayaUpaya is a term in Mahayana Buddhism which is derived fro... Read more
1. the Four Heavenly Kings (Dhrtarastra, Virudhaka, Virupaksa, and Vaisravana)Buddhist term
2. the big four (i.e. four leaders in a given field)
- たお 、
- I'd defeated the four sub-bosses and got through the damn long underground labyrinth.
3. Four Heavenly KingsIn the Buddhist faith, the Four Heavenly Kings are four g... Read more
1. rosary; string of prayer beadsBuddhist term
2. Buddhist prayer beadsBuddhist prayer beads are a traditional tool used to coun... Read more
数珠 【ずず】、数珠 【じゅじゅ】
1. one's own strength; one's own efforts
2. self-salvationBuddhist term
1. line (i.e. of text); row; verse
- He made ten mistakes in as many lines.
2. carya (austerities)Buddhist term
3. samskara (formations)Buddhist term
4. running script (a semi-cursive style of kanji)Abbreviation, See also 行書
1. profit; advantage; benefit; gainalso written as 徳
- It pays to be polite.
2. rebirth in paradise, entering nirvanaBuddhist term
1. unrelated; unconnected; irrelevant; indifferent; divorced from; having nothing to do with one; being foreign to oneAntonym: 有縁
2. without relations (esp. of a deceased person); having no surviving relatives
3. unrelated to the teachings of Buddha; unable to be saved by BuddhaBuddhist term, Antonym: 有縁