Words — 216 found
1. studying abroad
2. Study abroad in the United StatesStudying abroad is the act of a student pursuing educatio... Read more
1. to stop (moving); to come to a stop
- と 。
- Then the train screeched to a halt.
2. to stop (doing, working, being supplied); to come to a halt; to cease; to be stopped; to be suspended
- Partly because he could not receive enough information, Harper's description remains imperfect.
3. to alight; to perch on
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
留まる 【とまる】、停まる 【とまる】、駐まる 【とまる】、止る 【とまる】、留る 【とまる】
1. overseas student; exchange student
1. absence; being away from home
2. house-sitting; house-sitter
- I went on the trip, leaving the house in her care.
3. being left unattended to (of one's studies, etc.); neglectingusu. as お留守になる
1. to stop; to turn offesp. 止める, 停める
- もと 。
- The newspaper called for the government to stop inflation.
2. to parkesp. 止める, 停める
- This document is for your eyes only.
3. to prevent; to suppress (a cough); to hold back (tears); to hold (one's breath); to relieve (pain)esp. 止める, 停める
- くだ 。
- Please bear in mind what I said.
4. to stop (someone from doing something); to dissuade; to forbid; to prohibit
- とめ 。
- The wooden pieces are fastened with a peg.
5. to notice; to be aware of; to concentrate on; to pay attention to; to remember; to bear in mindSee also 目を留める, See also 気に留める
- It's illegal to park your car here.
6. to fix (in place); to fasten; to tack; to pin; to nail; to button; to stapleesp. 留める
7. to detain; to keep in custodyesp. 留める
留める 【とめる】、停める 【とめる】
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. registered mailAbbreviation, See also 書留郵便
- You had better get this letter registered for fear it should be lost.
2. registration (e.g. of mail); writing down; putting on record; recording; making a note of
- Let me put down your new phone number in my notebook.
書き留め 【かきとめ】、書留め 【かきとめ】
書き留め: Irregular okurigana usage. 書留め: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. care-taking; house-sitting; house-watching; staying at home
- おこ 。
- The boy was cross at having to stay at home.
2. caretaker; house-sitter
1. to stop; to halt; to stand still
立ち止る 【たちどまる】、立ちどまる 【たちどまる】、立止る 【たちどまる】、立ち留まる 【たちどまる】、立留まる 【たちどまる】、立留る 【たちどまる】
1. to detain; to check; to restrain
引止める 【ひきとめる】、引き留める 【ひきとめる】
引止める: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to challenge; to call somebody to halt
JLPT N1 Links
2. DistillationDistillation is a method of separating mixtures based on ... Read more
蒸溜 【じょうりゅう】、蒸餾 【じょうりゅう】
JLPT N2 Links
1. karuta; traditional Japanese playing cardsUsually written using kana alone, From Portuguese “carta”
骨牌 【かるた】、加留多 【かるた】、嘉留太 【かるた】、カルタ
歌留多: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 骨牌: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 加留多: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 嘉留太: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. custody; detention; confinement
2. Detention (imprisonment)Detention is the process when a state, government or citi... Read more
1. to remain; to abide; to stay (in the one place)Usually written using kana alone
- There is no advantage in staying here.
2. to be limited to; to be confined toUsually written using kana alone
留まる 【とどまる】、停まる 【とどまる】、駐まる 【とどまる】
1. reservation; putting on hold; deferment
- Let's put that on hold.
1. to stop; to stay (e.g. the night); to cease; to put an end to
2. to contain; to keep (in position, in place); to limit
- つづ 、
- We should keep every school open and every teacher in his job.
3. to record (e.g. a fact); to retainSee also 記憶にとどめる
- His courage went down in history.
止める 【とどめる】、停める 【とどめる】
1. endlessly; ceaselesslyUsually written using kana alone
止め処なく 【とめどなく】、止めど無く 【とめどなく】、止め処無く 【とめどなく】、とめど無く 【とめどなく】、留処無く 【とめどなく】