Words — 57 found
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. should (be); bound (to be); expected (to be); must (be)Usually written using kana alone
- The plane should have arrived at Kansai Airport by now.
2. nock (of a bow)
3. nock (of an arrow)
4. nock-shaped grip (between thumb and forefinger)Sumo, See also はず押し はずおし
5. wooden frame on the tip of the mast of a Japanese ship that prevents the hawser from falling out
Common word JLPT N5 Links
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. appearing that; seeming that; looking like; having the appearance ofafter -masu stem or adj. stem
- It is going to rain soon.
1. such things as ...; and ... andused for non-exhaustive lists related to a specific time and place
- You'll soon come to enjoy the food and drink here.
2. the minute (that) ...; no sooner than ...; as soon asSee also や否や, after the dictionary form of a verb
3. be; isKansai dialect, See also だ
4. o; ohpunctuational exclamation in haiku, renga, etc.
- I guess I'm never going to get married.
5. huh; whatinterjection expressing surprise
6. hiMale term or language
7. yes; what?Archaism
8. yes?; no?; is it?; isn't it?Archaism, indicates a question
9. Ya (kana)や, in hiragana, or ヤ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. to get tired; to become exhausted; to grow wearyUsually written using kana alone
- I'm very tired from work.
2. to become worn out; to become battered (from long use)Usually written using kana alone
3. to get tired of (doing); to get fed up withUsually written using kana alone, after the -masu stem of a verb
- Jack was tired from having walked fifty miles.
1. at; inindicates location of action; にて is the formal literary form
2. at; whenindicates time of action
3. by; withindicates means of action
4. and then; so
5. and; thenOnly applies to で, See also て, indicates continuing action; alternative form of 〜て used for some verb types
6. let me tell you; don't you knowKansai dialect, Only applies to で, See also よ, at sentence-end; indicates certainty, emphasis, etc.
1. probably isn't (doesn't, won't, etc.)
- You will gain nothing from doing that.
2. don't (doesn't) intend to; intend not to
- The other team tried to keep them from crossing the line.
3. must not; (when used in an imperative sentence) don't
1. if (it) doesn't exist; if there is no ...; if (one) doesn't have ...Usually written using kana alone
- Without water, nothing could live on this earth.
2. if not ...; unless ...Usually written using kana alone
- Unless you hurry, you will be late for school.
3. have to ...; must ...Abbreviation, Usually written using kana alone, See also なければならない
- You must hurry up, or you will miss the express.
1. if (it) doesn't exist; if there is no ...; if (one) doesn't have ...Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, See also なければ
2. if not ...; unless ...Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, See also なければ
- The schedule's fine as long as nothing clashes.
3. have to ...; must ...Abbreviation, Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, See also なければならない
- I have to answer his letter.
1. should; must; that one ought to; to be doneUsually written using kana alone, after plain verbs
- Should I have asked you first?
2. -ableUsually written using kana alone, passive ending
3. probably; likelyUsually written using kana alone
1. if; in case; if it is the case that; if it is true thathypothetical form of the copula だ, from なり and sometimes classed as a particle
- If we let our reasoning power be overshadowed by our emotions, we would be barking up the wrong tree all the time.
2. as for; on the topic ofOnly applies to なら
- めずらし 。
- A six-figure income is not uncommon for physicians.
3. if that's the case; if so; that being the caseColloquialism, Abbreviation, See also それなら
4. if possible; if circumstances allowOnly applies to ならば
1. it is assuredly that ...; can say with confidence that ...See also のだ
2. did not ...Kansai dialect, Only applies to なんだ, after the -nai stem of a verb
1. rather than (do ...)usu. after verb
- You might as well throw your money into the sea as lend it to her.
1. it is assuredly (that)...; can say with confidence that it is...See also なのだ
- No matter the age, a child is a child.
1. to have the nerve toDerogatory, after the -masu stem of a verb; indicates hatred, contempt, or disdain for another's action
1. does notemphatic; after -masu stem of verb
- The soup I had was so hot I couldn't drink it.
1. word used at sentence-end (like a particle) to indicate speculation, volition or invitationKantou dialect, Touhoku dialect, See also 可い
- I feel a lot better now, but I know Dad's going to be real upset.
2. familiar suffix used after a personal nameOnly applies to ぺ