Words — 40 found
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. should (be); bound (to be); expected (to be); must (be)Usually written using kana alone
- The plane should have arrived at Kansai Airport by now.
2. nock (of a bow)
3. nock (of an arrow)
4. nock-shaped grip (between thumb and forefinger)Sumo, See also はず押し はずおし
5. wooden frame on the tip of the mast of a Japanese ship that prevents the hawser from falling out
1. purging croton (Croton tiglium)Usually written using kana alone
2. Croton tigliumCroton tiglium, known as Purging Croton, is a plant speci... Read more
1. embarrassing; embarrassed; ashamed; humiliated; shy
- They hung their heads in shame.
2. disgraceful; shameful
恥かしい 【はずかしい】、恥しい 【はずかしい】、羞ずかしい 【はずかしい】、羞しい 【はずかしい】、羞かしい 【はずかしい】
恥かしい: Irregular okurigana usage. 恥しい: Irregular okurigana usage. 羞しい: Irregular okurigana usage. 羞かしい: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to remove; to take off; to detach; to unfasten; to undo
- はず 。
- He took off his glasses.
2. to drop (e.g. from a team); to remove (from a position); to exclude; to expel
- はず 。
- I was dropped from the baseball team.
3. to leave (e.g. one's seat); to go away from; to step out; to slip away
4. to dodge (a question, blow, etc.); to evade; to sidestep; to avoid (e.g. peak season)
5. to miss (a target, chance, punch, etc.)Antonym: 当たる
1. to be disconnected; to get out of place; to be off; to be out (e.g. of gear)
- The rear-view mirror fell off.
2. to miss the mark; to get it wrong (e.g. guess, expectation); to draw a blank (e.g. lottery)
- My first guess was wide off the mark.
3. to be removed; to be excluded
- はず 。
- He was dropped from the team because of an injury.
4. to be contrary to; to go against
- はず 。
- His explanation is beside the point.
1. to spring; to bound; to bounce
- とびこ 。
- The ball bounced over the wall.
2. to be stimulated; to be encouraged; to get lively
- はず 。
- His heart bounded with expectation.
3. to pay handsomely; to splurge; to part eagerly with (money, etc.)
4. to breathe hard; to pant; to be out of breathSee also 息が弾む いきがはずむ
1. end; verge; extremity; tip; outskirtsOnly applies to はずれ
- The goals were placed at the opposite ends of the town.
2. miss; failure; blank (e.g. lottery ticket)
Common word Links
1. bounce; spring; rebound
2. momentum; impetus; impulse; stimulus; inertiaUsually written using kana alone
- The cheap dollar is charging up exports.
3. moment; instant; impulse; chanceUsually written using kana alone
- I don't know what motivated me to come here.
1. to be shy of; to be bashful; to be abashed; to blush
1. it cannot be that...; it is highly unlikely that...; it is impossible that...Usually written using kana alone, Abbreviation, See also はずが無い はずがない
- She cannot be here so early.
筈ない 【はずない】、筈無い 【はずない】
1. it cannot be that...; it is highly unlikely that...; it is impossible that...Usually written using kana alone, See also 筈
筈がない 【はずがない】、筈が無い 【はずがない】
1. to gain traction; to develop momentum; to get a boost; to pick up steamSee also 弾み はずみ
- As the days passed, our campaign grew in momentum.
1. embarrassingColloquialism, Abbreviation, Usually written using kana alone, See also 恥ずかしい
1. cannot (do); it is impossible that...; it is (highly) unlikely that...Usually written using kana alone, See also はずが無い
筈のない 【はずのない】、筈の無い 【はずのない】