Words — 114 found
1. teacher; instructor; master
- Our teacher is a gentleman in the true sense of the word.
2. sensei; title or form of address for a teacher, master, doctor, lawyer, etc.Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
- I had my composition corrected by Mr Jones.
3. intimate or teasing form of addressFamiliar language, Jocular, humorous term
4. one's elderArchaism, orig. meaning
5. SenseiSensei is a Japanese word that is literally translated as... Read more
1. president (of a nation)
2. big man; boss; buddy; mateFamiliar language, used vocatively; esp. of an actor
3. PresidentA president is a leader of an organization, company, club... Read more
1. siblings; brothers and sistersSee also ご兄弟
3. siblings-in-law; brothers-in-law; sisters-in-law
4. mate; friendFamiliar language, Male term or language
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. police officerFamiliar language, Usually written using kana alone, See also 巡査
1. you; buddy; palMale term or language, Familiar language, also used colloquially by young females
- It was careless of you to forget your homework.
2. monarch; ruler; sovereign; (one's) masterorig. meaning
1. youFamiliar language, Male term or language, formerly honorific, now oft. derog. term referring to an equal or inferior
- You shall be my daughter's husband.
2. presence (of a god, nobleman, etc.)Only applies to おまえ
お前 【おまい】、お前 【おめー】、お前 【おめえ】、御前 【おまえ】、御前 【おまい】、御前 【おめー】、御前 【おめえ】
1. receiving; reception; getting; being givenHumble (kenjougo)
- Don't scrape your chair on the floor.
2. eating; drinking; havingHumble (kenjougo)
- I'll take these roses.
3. please; please do for meFamiliar language, Female term or language, Usually written using kana alone, also used after -te form of verb
- We plan to elicit opinions from the public.
頂だい 【ちょうだい】、頂載 【ちょうだい】
頂載: Irregular kanji usage.
1. Buddhist priest; monkFamiliar language, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also お坊さん
2. boyFamiliar language
1. -ical; -ive; -al; -ic; -yused to form adjectives from nouns
2. -like; -ish; -sort of; -kind of
3. (something) like; along the lines ofColloquialism, used similarly to a quoting particle, esp. as 的な or 的なこと
4. -wise; in terms of; for; from the viewpoint of; from a ... standpoint; as far as ... is concernedColloquialism, after a noun or pronoun, esp. adverbially as ～に(は)
5. Mr.; Ms.; Mrs.Familiar language, Colloquialism, Dated term, used as a form of address with names, work titles, etc. to denote either light disdain or familiarity
JLPT N2 Links
1. boy; son; childFamiliar language
2. mere boy; stripling; greenhornDerogatory
JLPT N5 Links
1. auntHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Familiar language, Usually written using kana alone, 伯母さん is older than one's parent and 叔母さん is younger
1. elder brotherFamiliar language, Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
2. one's senior
3. older man; man older than oneself
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. suffix for familiar personFamiliar language
- Oh your daughter Haru-chan is very cheerful.
1. general; admiral
2. head; chief; leader; boss; kingpin
3. old chap; mate; boss; chief; manFamiliar language, familiar or jocular term for addressing a male
4. athlete who competes in the last match of a team competition (kendo, judo, etc.)See also 先鋒 せんぽう
だいしょう: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. Mr.; Mrs.; Miss; Ms.; -sanHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Familiar language, See also 様 さま, after a person's name (or position, etc.)
2. politeness markerPolite (teineigo), usu. after a noun or sometimes na-adjective
- Keep the change, driver.
1. you (plural); all of you; you allFamiliar language, Male term or language, also used colloquially by young females
1. granny; grandma; granFamiliar language, Usually written using kana alone
2. old lady; old womanFamiliar language, Usually written using kana alone
お祖母ちゃん 【おばあちゃん】、御祖母ちゃん 【おばあちゃん】、御婆ちゃん 【おばあちゃん】
1. he; she; this fellow; this guy; this personUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, Derogatory, Familiar language, See also 其奴 そいつ
2. this; this one; this thingUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, Derogatory, Familiar language, See also 其奴 そいつ
3. Hey, you!; You bastard!; Damn you!Usually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, Derogatory, Familiar language